• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

SLU Final 4 2020-2021

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

This true.   He is a very good player.   Fantastic get.   Now come on EJ.  Make this historic

Can you imagine if we landed both Yuri and Liddell? 2019-2020 roster: 

PG: Goodwin, Yuri

SG: Thatch, Jacobs

SF: Liddell, Hargrove, Thor, Hankton

PF: Gordon, French, Welmer

C  Santos

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Ford continues to amaze.  Well done.

Anyone have a sense of TH qualifying status?  SLU  does not have a good past history with ESL High recruits, I believe.

mhg

Hargrove is a smart kid.  He is honor roll student.

2 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Even though BourbanStreet used blue font to indicate saying it tongue-in-cheek, someone reacted "troll"?  Tough audience!

And then there's this:

Dang, my first blue font post didn't land well--I should probably only stick to only black from now on. That tweet along with the cringeworthy TigerBoard was my inspiration. 

This was welcome unexpected news today. I thought he'd be at least another couple months away from committing somewhere.

Hargrove has had an up and down AAU season with BBE. He got off to a slow start in his first couple games in April and he's only posted three double-digit scoring games thereafter. He's been efficient, though:

I think this is a pretty fair assessment of where he's been this season - a role player trying to play smart, efficient basketball in relatively limited minutes and usage. He's only a role player now because he's playing alongside Liddell, Harmon, Moody, Collins, McKinney, and a few others. He's .569 from the field, .714 from the line, and .600 (3 for 5) from 3.

He's the man at East St. Louis, and will continue to be the man this season. He averaged 18.2 and 9.5 for ESL with a shooting slashline of .460/.349/.674. He also added a steal and 2.4 blocks per game. 

He's listed at 6-7, 185 on the BBE roster currently. Most services still list him at 6-6 and Frank's calling him 6-8. 6-8 seems like a stretch to me but an inch or two shorter sounds about right. He has good length, too. He's a top-5 2019 player in the state of Illinois (most have him 4th or 5th). He's a really nice rebounder from the wing on both ends.

He's another good fit for this roster. High-character, hard worker, good student, coachable and unselfish. I think some of the scouts and coaching staffs wanted to see a little more of a jump out of him between last year and this year and he's been slower to develop, but even so, he still has a great frame, a lot of athleticism, and a really high ceiling. We also have the luxury of not needing him to be a go-to guy right away, but can give him time to develop, add a bit to his frame, and adjust to the college level. And as @TheChosenOne said to me earlier today, it's key to get an early commitment from a local recruit like him so that the 2020 local kids can see how the roster is shaping up and what they'd potentially be joining. Collins would be another great domino to fall in that direction.

His quote on the commitment:

St. Louis was my choice because they were my very first offer and they stayed by my side. They kept in contact with me and they treated me like family and that’s a school I know I’m going to play at. They are the type of team that I can just play my game and just be free and have the freedom to play my game and Coach Ford is all for it.”

AGB91, MattyMo213 and Zink like this

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

We're moving beyond towels to full-on, prolonged priapism.

That is something you really do not want to have. The most common form of this condition will cause scarring and deformity. You do not want to wind up with something looking like a boomerang or a corkscrew, it will prove rather limiting. 

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

That is something you really do not want to have. The most common form of this condition will cause scarring and deformity. You do not want to wind up with something looking like a boomerang or a corkscrew, it will prove rather limiting. 

Epic.

I love Hargrove.  He's sneaky good.  Great on the offensive boards, can guard nearly anyone, and has high level athleticism.  Comparisons to Sneed are apt, a little taller and longer but they both are explosive off the wing.  His shooting could improve especially off the dribble.  Also another guy on the team who loves playing defense.

Can't wait to see this team on the floor.

8 hours ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

I have never been this excited for Billikens basketball, ever. 

I assume you were too young to be excited about RM - SLU signing a HOF coach is big news - made national headlines.  Our recruiting while very good is not of that caliber.

58 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I assume you were too young to be excited about RM - SLU signing a HOF coach is big news - made national headlines.  Our recruiting while very good is not of that caliber.

I didn't know enough to be as excited as I should've been with the signing of Majerus.  While Travis is not the great basketball mind that Majerus was, Majerus was not the recruiter that Travis is.