Welcome Terrence Hargrove!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I assume you were too young to be excited about RM - SLU signing a HOF coach is big news - made national headlines.  Our recruiting while very good is not of that caliber.

SLU has never stacked talent like this.  The only team during our time in the A10 to stack talent like this was X at the end of Miller’s run and Mack’s time to close out their A10 tenure.  Shaka wasn’t even stacking talent like this at VCU.

Billikid likes this

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

SLU has never stacked talent like this.  The only team during our time in the A10 to stack talent like this was X at the end of Miller’s run and Mack’s time to close out their A10 tenure.  Shaka wasn’t even stacking talent like this at VCU.

-interesting, I hadn't thought about our recruiting in these terms, let's just keep the momentum going and hope the other members in the conference can up their games, too

40 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The stacking of classes is so important. 

Also goes without saying: the more local *stars* that commit..the less it becomes notable when players stay home. 

Come on Yuri. Come on EJ! 

18 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

The stacking of classes is so important. 

Also goes without saying: the more local *stars* that commit..the less it becomes notable when players stay home. 

Come on Yuri. Come on EJ! 

i was very pleased to see both collins and liddell with positive public shows of approval.   keep your fingers crossed.   imo if we would get all three that would just be huge.   people would start to say that the billikens owned the local recruiting !!!!  I cant think of a single time in my fandom we got what could arguably be said were the three top local recruits in one class.   of course we are only 1/3 of the way there but we are in the discussion!!

Zink likes this

45 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i was very pleased to see both collins and liddell with positive public shows of approval.   keep your fingers crossed.   imo if we would get all three that would just be huge.   people would start to say that the billikens owned the local recruiting !!!!  I cant think of a single time in my fandom we got what could arguably be said were the three top local recruits in one class.   of course we are only 1/3 of the way there but we are in the discussion!!

Roy woke up drinking the Blue Koolaid. I love it. 

42 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I'm showing my age here and this was slightly  ahead of my time but in the 60's we owned local recruiting. Bobby Cole-Eugene Moore-John Kilo-Rich Nieman the point guard who went to Washington Bullets.[name escapes me] Then we went into the terrible 70's . A lot of people on this board like to trash Ron Ekker  but Buddy Brehmer did a lot to hurt our program. 

9 minutes ago, willie said:

I'm showing my age here and this was slightly  ahead of my time but in the 60's we owned local recruiting. Bobby Cole-Eugene Moore-John Kilo-Rich Nieman the point guard who went to Washington Bullets.[name escapes me] Then we went into the terrible 70's . A lot of people on this board like to trash Ron Ekker  but Buddy Brehmer did a lot to hurt our program. 

Barry Orms?

25 minutes ago, willie said:

well that is before my fandom started in 1977!  😄

3 minutes ago, almaman said:

That one year Grawer got 4 players on all metro team? Winfield, Grawer, Highmark, Claggett. Memory hazy but seems like that or something close to this. 

Great point I forgot about that...Greatest local class ever in the modern era especially if you consider Ryan Grant from Effingham...looked great til his knee blew out.

Just now, VeniceMenace said:

Great point I forgot about that...Greatest local class ever in the modern era especially if you consider Ryan Grant from Effingham...looked great til his knee blew out.

Although I don’t remember Grawer in that particular class (?)

6 minutes ago, almaman said:

That one year Grawer got 4 players on all metro team? Winfield, Grawer, Highmark, Claggett. Memory hazy but seems like that or something close to this. 

I remember one year Lisch, Liddell, Polk and Meyer were all on the Post-Dispatch first team together.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

23 minutes ago, almaman said:

16 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I remember one year Lisch, Liddell, Polk and Meyer were all on the Post-Dispatch first team together.

Hughes, Tatum, Baniak?

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Hughes, Tatum, Baniak?

tatum ended up having to sit out a year.   so he more or less didnt come with larry legend and baniak.     lisch liddell meyer and polk imo doesnt measure up to liddell, hargrove and collins.

the claggett, highmark and winfield class probably does but i had erased winfield from my mind as once he left he wasnt a billiken any longer in my eyes.  

21 hours ago, BourbanStreet said:

Mizzou put him on the back burner and considered him a fall back option if plan A didn't work out, so it makes sense SLU landed him.

Said every Mizzou fan ever when they lost a recruiting battle.  Whoever put a troll vote on this one needs to learn about blue text.

I would put Grawer's get of Douglas and Gary in 85-86 as the greatest because that likely saved the program from annihilation back then.  Bonner go there the next year. 

If Kevin Grawer was all-metro, he got here the year before Claggett, Highmark and Winfield.  Ryan Grant was also a freshman that year but only played in 16 games due to the injury.  I thought that was a back injury and not a knee.  Maybe I am wrong.  The fourth player in that class that was all-metro, I thought was Eric Bickel from Ritenour High.  He flopped badly for two years before leaving the program.  Grawer got canned after 91-92 so Claggs, Hmark and Winfield only got one year under the coach they signed with.  Kevin Grawer left with dad as did Winfield after his father got canned along with Grawer.  All to Mizzou I believe.

Polk, Meyer, Lisch and Liddell may have been all metro but   different years.  Polk, Liddell and Meyer all might have been such in the 2004-05 high school year, but then Liddell went to prep school for a year.  Lisch then came as a freshman along with Liddell.  Both were a year younger than Meyer and Polk in terms of graduation time.  The Hughes, Baniak, Tatum, Redden tandem were all part of the local Eagles and then added Chris Heinrich from suburban Philly.  They all came in in 1997-98.  They were added to Corey Frazier and Troy Robertson, local guys signed on in the year prior of 1996-97.  It was after those classes that I really began my "negative St. Louis players" kick.  I had transitioned from believing in St. Lousi born players (Douglas, Gray, Bonner, Claggs, Hmark, Hughes) by the mid-90s that those afterwards (Baniak, Tatum, Robertson, Frazier, Polk, Meyer, etc.) would never seem to amount to much.  All the good gusy went away (Miles, Ellis, Carrawell, White, Beal, Lee, Woods, etc.).  That wa smy foundation way back when.  Coupled with other local failures (Robinson, Parker, Hassan Houston, Jamal Johnson, Evan Pederson, etc.) some who cam eback and were less-than-stellar.  Long-running battles with old friend Vtime ensued.

Now, maybe it is still the same but Ford has found a way to sprinkle the pixie dust and identify who will be good and not only identify them, but then go get them.  Times they are a chaingign and to me, it all rests on Ford.

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

tatum ended up having to sit out a year.   so he more or less didnt come with larry legend and baniak.     lisch liddell meyer and polk imo doesnt measure up to liddell, hargrove and collins.

the claggett, highmark and winfield class probably does but i had erased winfield from my mind as once he left he wasnt a billiken any longer in my eyes.  

I wasn't necessarily trying to identify which local-heavy class panned out the best, but which one would've been the most highly touted coming out of HS. You referred to the top 3 players coming out of a single local HS class, and I'm pretty sure Hughes, Tatum, and Baniak were the top 3 STL kids that year.

Lisch and Liddell weren't in the same class as Meyer and Polk, who were older, but that was some good local class stacking - just wish things had gone better for the first two and that Polk had panned out.

Liddell is definitely the top local 2019 prospect. I think most services would put McKinney second, then Hargrove, then Collins. I'm not including the larger region, which could include guys like Okoro, Mosley, and Leech.

I'm sure all would agree, but Ford is about at the top of his game as far as recruiting goes.  We haven't had a winning season in three years and then last year we were one game over .500.  Despite this, he is recruiting guys to SLU like we've been perched at the top of the A-10 the last several years.

On top of this, the guys he's bringing in all have quotes about them like "hard worker," "intense rebounder," "good teammate."  I love it.

I know that many of you have beefs with Chris May, but May hired Ford at a time when many of us were looking at other guys.  The hire was not an easy one for May to make, and he took some heat.  Looking back, this hire may be one of the most important made at SLU.  Whatever you think of Chris May, he deserves credit for pulling the trigger on Ford.  His next job is going to be to convince Ford that staying here and turning SLU into a Villanova, Xavier, or Gonzaga type program is better than jumping to a Power 5 school and hitting the reset button on the hot seat.

HenryB and Billikid like this

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm sure all would agree, but Ford is about at the top of his game as far as recruiting goes.  We haven't had a winning season in three years and then last year we were one game over .500.  Despite this, he is recruiting guys to SLU like we've been perched at the top of the A-10 the last several years.

On top of this, the guys he's bringing in all have quotes about them like "hard worker," "intense rebounder," "good teammate."  I love it.

I know that many of you have beefs with Chris May, but May hired Ford at a time when many of us were looking at other guys.  The hire was not an easy one for May to make, and he took some heat.  Looking back, this hire may be one of the most important made at SLU.  Whatever you think of Chris May, he deserves credit for pulling the trigger on Ford.  His next job is going to be to convince Ford that staying here and turning SLU into a Villanova, Xavier, or Gonzaga type program is better than jumping to a Power 5 school and hitting the reset button on the hot seat.

-yep, with this recruiting and what I think the team can and will do, i expect CFord to be a hot commodity soon

5 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

while i am amazed at ford's recruiting thus far, i will wait for the rest of travis ford's coaching game to match his recruiting as he has always had the M.O. of a great recruiter that couldnt coach the players up from expectations and wasnt a particularly good floor coach.   i will say his motivational skills the last couple of seasons were off the chart.    i am fully on board the ford train, but am also still waiting to be shown it is now the the full package.   

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

+100

Just wait for these recruiting classes once we start hitting the T25 rankings.