Welcome Terrence Hargrove!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t think this has been posted yet. Here is the full 8 minute interview Frank had with Terrence. 

https://www.ksdk.com/article/sports/college/slu/estls-terrence-hargrove-jr-chooses-slu/63-570416655

Some highlights:

• He will try to convince his friend Yuri to join him.
  • He will talk to Liddell too, but doesn’t think he’s looking hard at SLU.
  • Doctors say he could grow to be 6’9” or 6’10”.
  • Calls Frank “sir” during the interview.
  • Takes academics very seriously.

He’s going to be a great addition to the program.

38 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I don’t think this has been posted yet. Here is the full 8 minute interview Frank had with Terrence. 

https://www.ksdk.com/article/sports/college/slu/estls-terrence-hargrove-jr-chooses-slu/63-570416655

Some highlights:

Very impressed by him there.  Love hearing how his parents keep on him about his academics above basketball.  Disappointing about Liddell but I haven't really thought we had a great chance with him.  Just feel he will end up at Ohio State.  That's okay, get Yuri and I trust Ford will find a solid player to fill out the class.  

57 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Some highlights:

kid is really impressive. Seems like EJ wants the big leagues, dont blame him for it, but if SLU starts getting votes for top 25 after hopefully a good nonconference and he is available, I think we have a shot

1 minute ago, Glorydays2013 said:

kid is really impressive. Seems like EJ wants the big leagues, dont blame him for it, but if SLU starts getting votes for top 25 after hopefully a good nonconference and he is available, I think we have a shot

Liddell will likely sign before fall practices even start. Time to give up the ghost on this one. That interview says it all. Hargrove knows he isn’t interested. 

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

I don't think the level of coverage by the P-D matters at all in today's world. How many people under 40 have ever subscribed to or even purchased a hard copy of a newspaper? In fact, how many people under 40 regularly visit stltoday.com directly? Every post dispatch story I have read this year has been online and has been accessed by me through a link on twitter, facebook, a text, flipboard, or a link through a site like this one.  I don't think I am atypical.

In this framework, it is really irrelevant whether the article I am reading is published by the post dispatch, the university paper, a blogger, a an east side paper, or any other publication. If the content is newsworthy, it will travel. Only 3 newspapers in the United States--only three!--have a daily circulation of more than a million (Wall Street Journal, NY Times, and USA Today). By contrast, CNN, the current and former presidents, and several major athletes have well over 40 million twitter followers they can transmit news to any second of any day. Meanwhile, Jon Rothstein, who has no connection to St. Louis, has over 120,000 followers and has shown an interest in routinely sharing news about SLU men's basketball.

What is the point? If SLU's mens basketball program continues to have success, people will write about them and the news will reach local and national sports fans through social media regardless of what Stu or the Post-Dispatch decides to do. 

This is an excellent post, Nark.  What I find humorous is that this board gets in a tizzy when the Post Dispatch posts an article on the Bills, and this board gets into a tizzy when they don't post an article. If you don't like the Post Dispatch, don't read it and don't click on any articles you find on the web.

Any and everything you want to know about Terrance Hargrove was pretty much covered in Frank's interview.  And it is available, it traveled as you suggested, on the World Wide Web. What would an Post Dispatch article add that wasn't covered in Frank's interview?  (I particularly like the conversation on grades and how he got basketball taken away from him when he had a D.  He had to go watch his team play.  Great job by his parents.)

Coach Ford has been on the radio just about weekly this summer.  I would rather listen to him than any beat writer.

billikenbill likes this

19 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Some highlights:

One other highlight from the interview I forgot to mention was that Yuri attended the team’s practice with Terrence last week.

16 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I've moved the majority of the stuff complaining about the Post-Dispatch to Columbia Post-Disgrace.  Let's please keep the discussion in this thread centered on Terrence Hargrove (Jr.).

THANK YOU

billikenbill likes this

17 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I've moved the majority of the stuff complaining about the Post-Dispatch to Columbia Post-Disgrace.  Let's please keep the discussion in this thread centered on Terrence Hargrove (Jr.).

Thank you, the last thing I want read on a welcome Terrance Hargrove thread is Billiken's fans being unhappy about Post Dispatch.

This thread needs to be about a great kid and great coaches that made this happen and the bright future of our basketball program.

billikenbill and Schasz like this

On 7/3/2018 at 10:43 PM, SLURadioBoy said:

Some highlights:

Good summary.

The other thing I found really interesting is that he said he expected a few more late offers, probably after the Peach Jam, but that he and his family didn't want to go through the process of getting to know new schools, starting all over with a few more places. He said he already felt that this was home, so why not make it official?

He talked twice about "Yuri", who he referred to by his first name only until Frank asked another question about him later. He said he'd work on convincing him to come play with him at SLU, and talked about how they were both on campus recently (and a bunch in general), and the impression I got is that he thought there was a very good chance this could happen soon.

I can't remember his exact words on Liddell, but it was basically a shrug and "Yeah, I'll work on him, too, but I don't know if he's interested." Basically the same impression you got.

Frank and Hargrove are both saying he's 6-8 now, and Hargrove's mom jumped into the Twitter comments where this interview was originally shared to say, "Yes, my son is now every bit of 6-8". I don't know if that's the in-shoes measurement but I'm assuming it is, and if that's the case - along with the expectation of growing another inch or two - he definitely becomes an even more intriguing prospect.

I liked the anecdote about the time he got a D or F in middle school and his parents made him sit out the first game of the season while they sat in the stands and watched with him. Frank: "How are your academics?" Hargrove, not letting a second of air between the question and answer: "All A's and B's, sir."

I will admit to cringing a little when he casually said a couple times that SLU "isn't a bad school" with kind of a shrug, and I was like, come on, give it more credit! I don't think he meant anything by it.

SLURadioBoy likes this

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I will admit to cringing a little when he casually said a couple times that SLU "isn't a bad school" with kind of a shrug, and I was like, come on, give it more credit! I don't think he meant anything by it.

Same here. And agree, don’t think he meant anything by it.