WELCOME HEAD COACH JOSH SCHERTZ!!

26 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

So he expects us to believe that he would have turned down 2 million for 6 years to stay where they were stretching to give him 750K - not buying it.  Also there was no assurances that they would have stayed once the offers started coming in.

He is saying that he likely would have stayed one more year knowing that he had a team returning that had just won more than 30 games.  The offers would NOT have been coming in for Kent, Conwell and Swope if they were not allowed to have a second free transfer. It makes sense to me that he would figure it would be better off to stay for one more year and then cash in. 

gabriel likes this

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, ACE said:

He is saying that he likely would have stayed one more year knowing that he had a team returning that had just won more than 30 games.  The offers would NOT have been coming in for Kent, Conwell and Swope if they were not allowed to have a second free transfer. It makes sense to me that he would figure it would be better off to stay for one more year and then cash in. 

Not me - take the money and run - nobody has a crystal ball.  Injuries and simply bad luck could have sunk that plan.  

billiken_roy, JMM28 and brianstl like this

1 hour ago, 73Billiken said:

A great interview with Coach Schertz

Coach was super candid and Slaten didn't attack him.   Slaten can still ask good questions (not softballs) when he is on point.  The protest talk was interesting, as well as the discussion about him staying if rules hadn't changed.  And stating he doesn't see SLU as a stopover or stepping stone. If he has success we can see if he keeps his word. 

31 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Not me - take the money and run - nobody has a crystal ball.  Injuries and simply bad luck could have sunk that plan.  

That's you, but it's not him. He says he doesn't view himself as a job hopper. He wants to be in situations where he can have success on the court.

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

That's you, but it's not him. He says he doesn't view himself as a job hopper. He wants to be in situations where he can have success on the court.

I truly hope he's telling the truth. I really hope he has immeasurable success and becomes a career Billiken. I would die a happy man. I'm also not here to say that he's lying or not being truthful. Indiana State fans are very familiar with these sort of sentiments from Schertz. What I am going to do as a fan, is say: I will choose to believe him, however if he leaves I hope he leaves the Billikens with a couple NCAA Tournament (runs) and a fat buyout check from a P5 as Saint Louis University athletics embraces being the stepping stone, goes out and finds another great coach and we do this process all over again. So if he's telling the truth, great. If he's fibbing, I hope he wins big before he leaves. 

41 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I get it, but that's a pretty safe gamble. 

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Best part of the Slaten interview was when he said "Look, Coach, I was publicly pushing for Blake Ahearn to become the next head coach at Saint Louis University. The Midtown Madness guys came on here back-to-back and they both said you were the best man for the job, and I really laid into one of them in a way that seems pretty unfair and off base in hindsight. But now I have to admit that they were right and I was wrong, and I think you should go on their show and talk to those guys. I've heard they already have some detailed, thought provoking questions written for you, questions designed with the most dedicated Billiken fans in mind. So do yourself, SLU fans, and all of us local sports fans a favor and sit down with those two when you get a chance. You won't regret it."

I thought that showed a lot of growth on Slaten's part, and I can't speak for Zac but I accept his apology.

I thought it was the best interview that I've heard with Schertz since he was hired.  Good job by Slaten.

billiken_roy likes this

Schertz is not a man that thinks and acts like everyone else does. he is different. I think he would have done as he said he would. There are people in this world for whom money is not a primary goal, in my opinion he is one of them. Had he said no to SLU and staid at ISU with an intact team he was likely to be in a similar or better position by the end of next season and might have better offers than SLU's. Believe what he says, this is not a guy that says one thing and does a different thing, not for money anyways.. People capable of doing things like this are rare.

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Best part of the Slaten interview was when he said "Look, Coach, I was publicly pushing for Blake Ahearn to become the next head coach at Saint Louis University. The Midtown Madness guys came on here back-to-back and they both said you were the best man for the job, and I really laid into one of them in a way that seems pretty unfair and off base in hindsight. But now I have to admit that they were right and I was wrong, and I think you should go on their show and talk to those guys. I've heard they already have some detailed, thought provoking questions written for you, questions designed with the most dedicated Billiken fans in mind. So do yourself, SLU fans, and all of us local sports fans a favor and sit down with those two when you get a chance. You won't regret it."

I thought that showed a lot of growth on Slaten's part, and I can't speak for Zac but I accept his apology.

I'll have whatever you are smoking/drinking. 

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Schertz's resume supports his statement.  He spent 13 years coaching in Division 2 at the same school.  It's nearly impossible to last that long at a P5.  If he's going to replicate that resume in Division 1, it will be at SLU or a similar level school.

billiken_roy likes this

58 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I truly hope he's telling the truth. I really hope he has immeasurable success and becomes a career Billiken. I would die a happy man. I'm also not here to say that he's lying or not being truthful. Indiana State fans are very familiar with these sort of sentiments from Schertz. What I am going to do as a fan, is say: I will choose to believe him, however if he leaves I hope he leaves the Billikens with a couple NCAA Tournament (runs) and a fat buyout check from a P5 as Saint Louis University athletics embraces being the stepping stone, goes out and finds another great coach and we do this process all over again. So if he's telling the truth, great. If he's fibbing, I hope he wins big before he leaves. 

I'm not saying I believe that he'll be a lifer here, that's not the part that caught my attention as that was normal coachspeak... but I really do believe the fact that under the old rules, it would have been more difficult for 3 of his 5 starters to transfer absolutely played a role and made leaving  now a lot easier, as opposed to waiting one more year.  It was an interesting factor that I hadn't previously considered.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I get it, but that's a pretty safe gamble. 

Well we saw what happened when Ford thought he had his teams - Perkins injury and underperformances.  A gamble is just that a gamble.  If it was called a sure thing then nobody would ever lose.

Nobody is saying he wants a P5 job ultimately.  All I said was that staying at ISU and passing up the big payday here didn't make any sense to me.  Yes he is not a job hopper as some say but he did hop to SLU for whatever his reasons were.  I am sure he will ultimately make the decision that is best for him just as he did when deciding to come to SLU.  Would he have come for 250K more which would have been 1.5 million over 6 years maybe not but for 7.5 million now that is a horse of a different color.

16 hours ago, billikenbill said:

This is a must-listen interview with some excellent non-basketball commentary at the end.

This is the best of the five or six Schertz interview's I have heard.  Slaten spent the next 15 minutes after Schertz by talking about the interview, SLU hoops and college basketball.

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, ACE said:

-he was at ISU for 3 seasons, I am guessing that today the folks in Terre Haute consider him a job hopper 

All of these coaches want to win (duh) at the highest level they can. Can a coach legitimately believe that he can build a final four quality team at SLU? Rick Majerus thought he could and was on the path to doing so. Travis Ford said he could but I am not sure he belived it and he certainly didn't have the skill set to do it. If SLU is successful in being competitive in and around the NCAA tournament (defined as getting in more often than not and winning some games), I belive the resources will be available to compete at a very high level (defined as 2nd and 3rd weekend level). That scenario would keep any coach here. But you have to lay the foundation Coach Majerus did, consistently win in your conference and start getting bids. That is the progression we want/need to see that will ultimately keep a coach here.

5 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Actually if he had said no he would have been seen as ducking Slaten.  He did now and does not have to go back again and Slaten didn't have any ammo against him yet.  I thought it was a wise decision.

I can see this argument too.

I am just programmed to avoid Slaten at all cost. 

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Well we saw what happened when Ford thought he had his teams - Perkins injury and underperformances.  A gamble is just that a gamble.  If it was called a sure thing then nobody would ever lose.

or watch

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

This is the best of the five or six Schertz interview's I have heard.  Slaten spent the next 15 minutes after Schertz by talking about the interview, SLU hoops and college basketball.

While overall I am not a Slaten fan.    That said, I think he is an outstanding interviewer.   He's thorough.   He will ask the difficult questions as well as give some fun softball stuff.   

Other than JC Corcoran, imo he is the best interviewer in local media (for the record, other that I interviewing, I don't like JC Corcoran as well.  I just think he's good at interviewing)

It's a shame both can't get the rest of their jobs right.   What they could have been 

AGB91 and HoosierPal like this

Schertz jumped from his prior school to ISU, and three years later jumped for ISU to SLU.  I'm willing to bet that when he was hired at ISU, he did a radio interview with someone in Terre Haute and said something to the effect of "this is where I want to be, I can see see myself being here for the rest of my career, I have no intention on leaving."  I say this, because that is what coaches say.  I don't think he is doing anything wrong by saying he intends to be here for the long haul any more than I think he did something wrong by leaving ISU or would be doing something wrong by leaving us at some point for what he perceives as a better opportunity.  It's just how the coaching game is played.