WELCOME HEAD COACH JOSH SCHERTZ!!

1 minute ago, Bilzz said:

NIL probably matters more, but stuff like this can't hurt. Not sure if it would move the needles for kids, though.

It can’t hurt, but it will help with some. It is a huge honor for him personally.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

This feels like it could be huge for recruiting?  Or am I overstating it’s importance?

Here is more info: https://www.usab.com/news/2024/05/thirty-athletes-expected-to-participate-in-usa-basketball-mens-u18-national-team-training-camp

None of the players listed are currently on @Pistol's recruiting lists.  Although I'm sure SLU would be thrilled to land any of them, they may be unrealistic targets.  Several are already committed.  My quick research shows all but 1 of the uncommitted are top 60 guys on the 247 rankings. The 1 that isn't is 115 ranked Jack McCaffrey who (just a wild guess here) is probably a lock to go to Iowa.

I don't necessarily see any direct recruiting impact in terms of landing a guy Schertz coaches at the USA camp.  However, the ancillary recruiting benefits of Schertz being able to say he's a USA coach and maybe leaving a good impression on a kid who shares it with an AAU or HS teammate who SLU is recruiting.

All coaches:

USA U18 HC: Tommy Lloyd (Arizona)

USA U18 AC: Grant McCasland (Texas Tech)

USA U18 AC: Micah Shrewsberry (Notre Dame)

Assistants for this camp:

Justin Gray (Coastal Carolina)

Ben McCollum (Drake)

Josh Schertz (SLU)

Jon Scheyer (Duke)

Takeaways: Anything you are in the same grouping as Duke's HC, that's a good thing.  Ben McCollum / Drake really seem to be using the same playbook as Schertz.  We've already seen some recruiting crossover and it is interesting to see them both on this list.  It'll be interesting to see where that goes.  Obviously McCollum & Schertz have similar backgrounds as guys who had a lot of D2 success.

Lord Elrond likes this

22 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Here is more info: https://www.usab.com/news/2024/05/thirty-athletes-expected-to-participate-in-usa-basketball-mens-u18-national-team-training-camp

None of the players listed are currently on @Pistol's recruiting lists.  Although I'm sure SLU would be thrilled to land any of them, they may be unrealistic targets.  Several are already committed.  My quick research shows all but 1 of the uncommitted are top 60 guys on the 247 rankings. The 1 that isn't is 115 ranked Jack McCaffrey who (just a wild guess here) is probably a lock to go to Iowa.

I don't necessarily see any direct recruiting impact in terms of landing a guy Schertz coaches at the USA camp.  However, the ancillary recruiting benefits of Schertz being able to say he's a USA coach and maybe leaving a good impression on a kid who shares it with an AAU or HS teammate who SLU is recruiting.

All coaches:

Ben McCollum (Drake)

Josh Schertz (SLU)

Jon Scheyer (Duke)

Takeaways: Anything you are in the same grouping as Duke's HC, that's a good thing.  Ben McCollum / Drake really seem to be using the same playbook as Schertz.  We've already seen some recruiting crossover and it is interesting to see them both on this list.  It'll be interesting to see where that goes.  Obviously McCollum & Schertz have similar backgrounds as guys who had a lot of D2 success.

Right, I was thinking it would help more along the lines of “I coach the national team, I know what it takes to get to that level” more so than recruiting the All American types. At least until we establish ourselves as a consistent top level program. 

49 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

All coaches:

Ben McCollum (Drake)

Josh Schertz (SLU)

Jon Scheyer (Duke)

It helps him develop connections with fellow coaches and also players. It's all part of relationship building. He's not likely to get any of these players the first go around, BUT in today's free agency world, there's always a chance to land a player down the road on the rebound. 

Aquinas and Zink like this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

All coaches:

Ben McCollum (Drake)

Josh Schertz (SLU)

Jon Scheyer (Duke)

Maybe we end up with some H&H scheduled with a couple of these schools...

It's good exposure. Exposure helps recruiting and NIL donations. 

USA USA

16 hours ago, brianstl said:

This is where I think the relationship building might be most important.

Excellent point, Coach Schertz has coached most of his careers below D1, this gives him a chance to network. Hopefully it leads to a home and home with 1 or more those programs

brianstl likes this

https://ktrs.com/the-kilcoyne-conversation/

Look up Kilcoyne's interview with Coach Schertz on May 21. Some highlights not covered in other interviews.

Coach has been on the road 16 of last 18 days.  Called Coach Tate the Unofficial King of STL. "He knows everyone."  Schertz did not know him and wanted to do due dilligence before he hired him.

Ran down some of the players:  Casey is a Hybrid that can play as a Big.  Anya is a Swing that can be a great cutter.  Both can play with Avila.  Said Brown played slow last season so Anya may flourish.

Excited about Thames and Hughes.  Worked them out a couple of weeks.  Both eager to learn.  Tate and May were instrumental in speaking about these two.  Wants Hughes to work on ball handling.  Thames reminds Schertz of Julian Larry.  Plays to win, not for stats. 

MK - How to bring all these different pieces together.  JS- Have to spend time at it.  This summer they will have breakfast together at 10 am before 11 am practice.  Will do a 'gimmicky thing or two'.  All want to be a part of something bigger than themselves.  8 or 9 teams in the A10 will all be competitive. What will separate the teams is the chemistry and competitive nature of the team.

Most of the team will be at the Coach's Camps this summer. A couple may be on National teams, so they won't be here.

USA U18 team - Matt Painter called him and asked him to be involved.  "I couldn't say Yes fast enough." Left today to start work with the U18 team.  "I get to do some basketball stuff!"

Roster is all but set.  Likes the last two additions.  Physicals on May 31.  Practice on June 3.