Band?

Cowboy II

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Since everyone is sharing their opinions on the band and music situation. As a 20 something season ticket holder for the last several years personally I couldnt care less about the band. The group I'm with we purposely chose seats on the opposite side of the arena so we weren't too close to the band. My mom loves the band though and I'm sure it is a big part of the experience for some. But not all. This goes back to the what crowd are you looking to please discussion.  Personally I'm fine with the piped in bass. I'm there to have fun.

Regarding the intro video I can almost guarantee the players didn't choose NF (could be wrong but I'd be shocked, maybe that was one of a few options they could choose). He's a politically correct white rapper which bridges the gap between the music the players listen to and music they can play. I hate it too. 

Not trying to offend anyone cause it sounds like the band got a raw deal and I appreciate all the time and effort everyone has put in. Just thought I'd voice a different opinion.

I agree on the band. Im in my early 20s and it doesn’t do much for me but I do agree that it’s a staple of college sports. 

The 2020-21 intro video had a Lil Baby song (although hardly anyone saw it since fans were barely allowed) and last year they used Travis Scott, so I just think NF just happened to be a poor choice. Not a fan of this years or last years intro video but haven’t had any complaints about the videos in prior years. 

My real complaint are the bass levels. It’s lowkey unbearable, especially in the upper levels.

slufan13 likes this

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

I think what is happening with the band is just a reflection of a larger problem in the athletic department and the basketball program.  It is about money, power, control and the ability to receive credit for things.  NIL is viewed as a huge threat by some athletic department personal, coaches and even some boosters.  It is why I believe we still haven't seen a collective roll out.

People in the athletic department are worried about losing control over a large amount of donor dollars that justify many of their existence.  Some big donors are probably worried about losing influence to a collective.  Travis Ford is worried about why the program needs a $2.5 million recruiting basketball coach when a hundred average joe fans can chip in $500 a each to get a guy like Jadis Jones to come here in 2024.

When many people feel threatened in their positions, they try to show their power to everyone.  

Nail ----> Head

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I too could go either way about the band, but I just gave my parents a run down and you would have thought someone died. 

Band alums seriously feel exactly like this. Organize something, talk to people if you want it back. The band just wants control over its own destiny, I think above all. For the fans and for the students (and maybe for the sport). Music brings people together.

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Since everyone is sharing their opinions on the band and music situation. As a 20 something season ticket holder for the last several years personally I couldnt care less about the band. The group I'm with we purposely chose seats on the opposite side of the arena so we weren't too close to the band. My mom loves the band though and I'm sure it is a big part of the experience for some. But not all. This goes back to the what crowd are you looking to please discussion.  Personally I'm fine with the piped in bass. I'm there to have fun.

Regarding the intro video I can almost guarantee the players didn't choose NF (could be wrong but I'd be shocked, maybe that was one of a few options they could choose). He's a politically correct white rapper which bridges the gap between the music the players listen to and music they can play. I hate it too. 

Not trying to offend anyone cause it sounds like the band got a raw deal and I appreciate all the time and effort everyone has put in. Just thought I'd voice a different opinion.

Yes. Years ago we moved from 102 to 105 to put more distance between our seats and the band. 

I don’t go to basketball games to hear the band just as I don’t go to games for the PR announcer. I don’t care about the price of a beer either.  Those items are low on my list of ‘needed for an enjoyable event’. I go to see the game. 

dlarry, AlumniFan and slufan13 like this

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yeah man it’s the music. Glad we got that figured out!

Not like every other team does the same thing for intros.

Ya right, all the top recruits we have been signing have gone home from their recruiting visits talking about how cool the intro video was and how great it would be if they could be in future videos.  I thought listening to May, that the reason we are getting top recruits is the new building in the athletic area.

Now it's like the old movie line.  Show me the money.  If we are getting our recruits, high school or transfer portal, and they are not getting any NIL money, then it's like another old line.  You get what you pay for.

Oh well, at least we have 2 good soccer programs.

28 minutes ago, bauman said:

Ya right, all the top recruits we have been signing have gone home from their recruiting visits talking about how cool the intro video was and how great it would be if they could be in future videos.  I thought listening to May, that the reason we are getting top recruits is the new building in the athletic area.

Now it's like the old movie line.  Show me the money.  If we are getting our recruits, high school or transfer portal, and they are not getting any NIL money, then it's like another old line.  You get what you pay for.

Oh well, at least we have 2 good soccer programs.

See you're falling into the same trap as the AD. It's the details. It works together to bring in recruits: the cool jerseys, the cool gear, shoes, the locker room. Intro video is part of that.

Littlebill likes this

52 minutes ago, bauman said:

Bingo.  Any recruit who picks a school based on the intro video really doesn't have a very high standard.

It is all about the money.  No, not T-Shirt sales, not salsa or pickles, but hard cash handed over simply to attend your school.

26 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

See you're falling into the same trap as the AD. It's the details. It works together to bring in recruits: the cool jerseys, the cool gear, shoes, the locker room. Intro video is part of that.

05 is exactly right. That stuff isn’t a decision maker as a stand alone thing. But it’s simple sales - give them a good experience, put together a chain of “cool”/yes, and close. 

if SLU wants basketball attendance to stay viable, the production quality needs to go way up. The casual fan isn’t coming down in the winter to go watch basketball. They want an experience. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Bingo.  Any recruit who picks a school based on the intro video really doesn't have a very high standard.

It is all about the money.  No, not T-Shirt sales, not salsa or pickles, but hard cash handed over simply to attend your school.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand you're not getting the point. DETAILS. It's all part of the sales pitch.

1 hour ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

My real complaint are the bass levels. It’s lowkey unbearable, especially in the upper levels.

5 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Who the hell put the 11 on the amplifier dial?  I thought I was just getting old until I saw my son holding his ears.  It wasn't that loud in years past.....

I think they've added sub-woofers. It's been too loud for me upstairs for a few years now, but this year I'm hearing enduring deep bass sounds that I've never heard there before. And yeah, I'm old.

But also concerned about what's left of my hearing.

1 minute ago, White Pelican said:

I think they've added sub-woofers. It's been too loud for me upstairs for a few years now, but this year I'm hearing enduring deep bass sounds that I've never heard there before. And yeah, I'm old.

I agree it has never been this bad.  I have cover my ears it hurts so much.  Never been like this previously.  I would think they are violating some kind of noise law.

13 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

THE best recruiting class in SLU History in that video! Those were some fun years...

Just looked at the accomplishments of that amazing class of Jett/McCall/Evans/Loe.....impressive

• 76 Classic MTE Tournament Champions in Anaheim (3-0)
  • 2x A-10 Regular Season Champions
  • 1x A-10 Tournament Champions
  • Ranked 3 of 4 years (#23 in 11-12, #13 in 12-13, #10 in 13-14)
  • 5 Wins Against Ranked Opponents
  • 3 NCAA Tournament Wins over 3 Appearances
  • 1 A-10 Conference Player of the Year
  • 1 AP HM All American

JMM28 likes this

16 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

13 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I agree it has never been this bad.  I have cover my ears it hurts so much.  Never been like this previously.  I would think they are violating some kind of noise law.

In industry, you need a hearing protection program for workers when noise levels exceed an 8 hour Time Weighted Average (TWA) of 85 decibels.  Hearing Protection is needed when you have  an 8 hour TWA of 90 decibels.  [For any safety geeks, you can look this up in 29 CFR 1910.95].

Download a free noise meter App and see what the levels are at Chaifetz.  Notify the local OSHA office if you document excessive noise levels.

46 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

THE best recruiting class in SLU History in that video! Those were some fun years...

The best recruiting class because they were developed by Rick Majerus. They didn’t come in all that highly regarded. Without looking, I’m sure many of Ford’s classes would’ve been higher ranked coming out of HS. The problem is players improve very little/not at all under Ford. 

I remember in McCall/Jett/Evans/Loe freshman year, we got smacked at Duke.  A couple years later, we beat a ranked Butler team three times in one season.  I miss having a coach that could develop guys. 

A reasonable argument could be made that Goodwin developed more in his one year in the G league than he did in four at SLU. 

This was the version of the band that had me wanting to sit near the band section.  Under Beczkala they just had more personality, style, and put on a better show in my opinion.
Maybe it is the AD and not the most recent director that was creating the more milquetoast presentation the last several years. Others can fill in those details. But to me, while I still loved the band, it hadn't been what it once was for a while now.

https://youtu.be/BwFTmp_8O_8

BC1764, dlarry and billiken_roy like this

4 minutes ago, ARon said:

This was the version of the band that had me wanting to sit near the band section.  Under Beczkala they just had more personality, style, and put on a better show in my opinion.
Maybe it is the AD and not the most recent director that was creating the more milquetoast presentation the last several years. Others can fill in those details. But to me, while I still loved the band, it hadn't been what it once was for a while now.

Aside from the pregame before the canned music starts, halftime and the one postgame song, every timeout song the band plays is scripted. “ Final Countdown “ is in the same timeout at womens and mens games.  Same with “You’ve Said it All” and “Saints”, just a couple of examples.

Brent Gallagher  
https://slubillikens.com/staff-directory/brent-gallagher/24

lays it all out without any input from the band  director or knowledge of what instrumentation is needed to certain songs. All of the cheers are pre-scripted as well. 

It’s been this way for about 7 years.  

43 minutes ago, ARon said:

Under current leadership, the Athletic Department has craved the creation of "new traditions." By scripting certain songs at certain moments, they believe they are creating "traditions." 

As noted above, "Final Countdown" occurs at the same timeout every game, even when the game isn't particularly close. In their eyes, this incredible tradition rivals the likes of Jump Around at Camp Randall Stadium. 

You also might have noticed them forcing the band to play "Living on a Prayer" every single game. The idea was to create a stadium sing-along, except they forgot to put up lyrics or prompts for people to sing. I guess they thought this would create the same vibe as Country Roads at Blues games. 

This hyper-scripting is consistent, however, with the culture of micromanagement that permeates the entire department (watch them all take orders via text from on high throughout the game). The band often has to "ask for permission" to play "Saints" after a big moment. Usually, that request is denied in favor of their scripted teeth rattling house music. 

In the past, this wasn't the case. The band had some ability to select songs to fit that night's instrumentation and to match certain moments in the game. That is what great bands are allowed to do. Unfortunately, members of the Athletic Department (who have zero musical experience or knowledge) put up obstacles. This type of micromanagement is not what happens at functional competent organizations. 

I read this stuff and its deja vu. So many different people in the ADs over the years. The only tradition they carry on is incompetence.

The gameday experience was a lot better when the band had control.

I broke out my old band cd today.  I miss 25 or 6 to 4. I forgot i hadn't heard that played by the band in probably 10 years.

DeSmetBilliken likes this

a lot of great songs seem to have disappeared.   i used to love the "Hey Baby" where the band wrote the lyrics that the band and students sang normally to needle the other team.

imo "superstition" and "taking it to the streets" were two of the best songs they used to regularly play.   they talk about timing, the bruno mars song "runaway" used to be played every game and many times was started to coincide with either the first or second half starts.   

FREE THE BAND!

Bay Area Billiken and AGB91 like this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

a lot of great songs seem to have disappeared.   i used to love the "Hey Baby" where the band wrote the lyrics that the band and students sang normally to needle the other team.

imo "superstition" and "taking it to the streets" were two of the best songs they used to regularly play.   they talk about timing, the bruno mars song "runaway" used to be played every game and many times was started to coincide with either the first or second half starts.   

FREE THE BAND!

They got rid of Superstition when I was in because we couldn't nail the ending we changed to match the studio version 😂 Takin it to the Streets is still a favorite since I'm a big Doobies fan! Email [email protected] to help free the band.