Band?

Cowboy II

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Having another kid in a month so looking for reasons to leave the house. My wife is on to my golf schtick.  I can play alto sax and the recorder. Someone PM me if there’s an opening. 

Crossing the picket line before the line forms.  Sharp move. 

I’m good with the complaints from the band but I’m in agreement with others in this thread that labeling the AD as “ignoring mental health” seems to be just a ploy for attention and is overly dramatic.  

Also, in an alternative universe where we are 12-1 and not 8-5, this does not become a topic of conversation.  Winning cures all. 

Bills By 40, TheA_Bomb and JMM28 like this

1 hour ago, SLU_Nick said:

Also, in an alternative universe where we are 12-1 and not 8-5, this does not become a topic of conversation.  Winning cures all. 

When the team is doing well, they used to leave the band alone because they were more worried about selling tickets. Ford's occasionally rocky tenure has allowed them to be under a microscope. 

9 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I don't mean to sound uncaring but this is a volunteer gig with no grading to get messed up and really no consequences for blowing off?  There are full time employees that are "quiet quitting" by doing no work at work. 

I enjoy the band at basketball games and would miss the times at the game where the idiotically high bass from the house sound system isn't rattling the teeth in my head........

this is as close to my thoughts as i have seen.   look we all have priorities.   for myself it's in order, family, career, Shriners and all else.   if a higher priority is in the way, i just dont do it at that time.   students probably put school where i have career or Shriners.   band isnt really school.  so if a band need comes up and it conflicts with a higher priority, just dont do it.   my guess is at some point, administration will conclude last second addons doesnt work.   it needs to be folded into the band's schedule in advance.   asking short notice gets subpar performance and if that doesnt work, i guess the administration wont get their "show pony".   they need to have a one person keyboardist on call.  

this whole mess is on the administration who selfishly is asking for commitments on short notice in apparently a draconian manner expecting absolute results.   that's no way to run a business.  especially with volunteer performers.

somewhat off message, god i hate the piped in music.   it's bad enough we have to watch and listen to the terrible into video every game but then more at game breaks?   ugh.

bauman, Spoon-Balls and TheBand like this

14 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

We seem to ping pong back and forth between full time students ages 18 to 23 and a majority of band members who are older alumni.  Which is it?  

the majority has always been alumni imo.   but there is always a student contribution as well.  

9 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Having another kid in a month so looking for reasons to leave the house. My wife is on to my golf schtick.  I can play alto sax and the recorder. Someone PM me if there’s an opening. 

i would be shocked if the band didnt take your alto sax ability. 

3 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

When the team is doing well, they used to leave the band alone because they were more worried about selling tickets. Ford's occasionally rocky tenure has allowed them to be under a microscope. 

All of the issues the students brought up and the crush of extra events (this year) happened just this past fall when optimism was at its highest for this team.   Borderline top 25 at the time.  Not sure you’re remembering the timeline accurately.

I think it does matter ....... this has nothing to do with game atmosphere but rather who is aggrieved here.  I find it hard to believe established alumni coming through in the spirit of volunteerism are banging the drum of  some mental health tune.  Volunteers can quit with no notice.  

Since it's all volunteer and no pay or credits, maybe someone with interest can strike up a ASLU Women's Basketball band.  Or a SLU Women's Volleyball band.  Do we have a SLU Pep Band at Soccer games?  I really don't know.  

Given SLU's insistence on doing things on the cheap, I am not surprised by the overall band issue at all.

23 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Since it's all volunteer and no pay or credits, maybe someone with interest can strike up a ASLU Women's Basketball band.  Or a SLU Women's Volleyball band.  Do we have a SLU Pep Band at Soccer games?  I really don't know.  

They tried to stretch the existing band into an all-purpose band which was part of the issue. It was basketball only until the last 2 or 3 seasons.

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Ten minutes to tip off, no band. 4 people showed up, about 5 minutes ago they packed up what they had taken out and went away. Live update from the WBB game tonight against Loy-ChiD48056C2-746D-492A-81D3-0563DD2B56A1.thumb.jpeg.e190b4ef4cf8e782779b89fff7b51448.jpeg

For those that would like to remember the band in its glory days: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BwFTmp_8O_8

I may not be an alum, but May needs to receive the pink slip on this alone. The band was the only bright spot for much of my SLU fandom, and this would be yet another example of how this institution cares less about their money making program and athletics as a whole.

29 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

I may not be an alum, but May needs to receive the pink slip on this alone. The band was the only bright spot for much of my SLU fandom, and this would be yet another example of how this institution cares less about their money making program and athletics as a whole.

I'm not an alum either, but a long time bb fan. Many years, (maybe most) the band was way more entertaining than the team.

Thinking of Taj's "cheap" comment above, I always expect them to do something to screw up a successful endeavor. This band problem doesn't surprise me at all. On top of the team's blah start to the season, this is icing on the cake.

-thanks to those giving us an idea of what a mess the ADept has created, a couple more questions: 

is it too late to save the band?

might be too soon but after last night any communication from the ADept to band members asking about intentions?

do we know who from the ADept was taking to Austin?

remember years ago during the Christmas break the Gibault high school band would play, I can see the ADept trying to go with a high school band 

The scene last night towards the end of the women's game with the Billiken Clap, Dre, random kids and the 3 Pep Band members that stayed to watch the game was the cringiest thing I think the SLU AD has ever done. I wanted to hide under my seat.

Perhaps @White Pelicanor @Lord Elrondcan better describe what I witnessed better than I can. 

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

I'm not an alum either, but a long time bb fan. Many years, (maybe most) the band was way more entertaining than the team.

Thinking of Taj's "cheap" comment above, I always expect them to do something to screw up a successful endeavor. This band problem doesn't surprise me at all. On top of the team's blah start to the season, this is icing on the cake.

Concur, and I dislike when one or two posters constantly bring up Lindenwood, but I’ll do it. St. Charles is the fastest growing county in the state and was currently ranked #2 in the most desirable and affordable college towns in the nation and their numbers will rise now that they’re in division 1. If these people in Midtown don’t get their act together and start taking what they have seriously, they’re not only going to get left behind by LU in the future, but SIUE and certainly the state programs.

45 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

Not sure who is talking to Austin - but Annie Reis is the Associate Director of Athletics/Administration - 

Per her bio - Reis serves as the athletics department’s liaison to the Department of Housing and Residential Life and oversees events and facilities, drug testing policy and procedures, and the band, cheer and dance programs.

50 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-thanks to those giving us an idea of what a mess the ADept has created, a couple more questions: 

is it too late to save the band?

might be too soon but after last night any communication from the ADept to band members asking about intentions?

remember years ago during the Christmas break the Gibault high school band would play, I can see the ADept trying to go with a high school band 

They did that in the early 70s. Each game featured a different HS. Might have been 74-75 season when Lew Mckinney played. It was bush league.

Prior to that they had the organ in the Old Kiel. That didn't work either.

3 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Not sure who is talking to Austin - but Annie Reis is the Associate Director of Athletics/Administration - 

Per her bio - Reis serves as the athletics department’s liaison to the Department of Housing and Residential Life and oversees events and facilities, drug testing policy and procedures, and the band, cheer and dance programs.

i've been closely following the Billikens now since 1978.   i have no idea who Annie Reis is or even what she looks like.  

when somebody is so involved in a program like the Billikens who play to the Saint Louis University public, the fact she is a complete unknown is probably not a good thing.   she is basically just playing to herself if she isnt interacting with the "audience" of her job imo.  i think this explains a lot as to how such a horrible mistake even happened and has been allowed to continue and now seems to have no solution.  

21 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The scene last night towards the end of the women's game with the Billiken Clap, Dre, random kids and the 3 Pep Band members that stayed to watch the game was the cringiest thing I think the SLU AD has ever done. I wanted to hide under my seat.

Perhaps @White Pelicanor @Lord Elrondcan better describe what I witnessed better than I can. 

It was pretty weird, no doubt. I’m surprised they didn’t pull it and do something else during that break, bring out the dance team again or something. I could see where that would be a fun thing with the whole band, but with just the few who were doing nothing but sitting there, it was so weird. I can’t figure out why anyone thought it was a good idea.

I always appreciate Dre, let me make that clear. It wasn’t his idea, I’m sure.

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

It was pretty weird, no doubt. I’m surprised they didn’t pull it and do something else during that break, bring out the dance team again or something. I could see where that would be a fun thing with the whole band, but with just the few who were doing nothing but sitting there, it was so weird. I can’t figure out why anyone thought it was a good idea.

I always appreciate Dre, let me make that clear. It wasn’t his idea, I’m sure.

my guess is that Dre's games are completely scripted and time scheduled.   he has no say whatsoever.  i agree not his idea and not his fault.