Band?

Cowboy II

22 hours ago, Major Majerus said:

The pep band was always great & the decibel level didn’t damage your hearing.  The amplified piped in music is and will.  A class action suit notice might get SLU’s attention.  This is my last season & I’m trying to give away my tickets.  Most games are on the computer or TV.  I received the autographed ball at halftime a few years back, so I’ve seen it all…and I can still play The Billiken Rag on the piano when I get down. 🤔🏀🍷

Class action lawsuit?  I may have missed something but where are the legal damages here?  I get some people are upset and the athletic dept. created another mess here, but a lawsuit may be a tad much

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

They got rid of Superstition when I was in because we couldn't nail the ending we changed to match the studio version 😂 Takin it to the Streets is still a favorite since I'm a big Doobies fan! Email [email protected] to help free the band.

Nothing gets done in the athletic department without being signed off by Janet and Chris. I understand that it's Brent's "role" with the AD to handle this, but you're probably just fuoking up his day while not changing anything by going to him. 

My fellow MBMs, while I may be another moron here on this board. I know one thing: this has reached the point where Billiken fans need to start going over the Athletics Department to those in SLU admin that can enact some sort of change. Someone needs to pull Pestello's head out of his a$$ on this. 

AGB91 likes this

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Nothing gets done in the athletic department without being signed off by Janet and Chris. I understand that it's Brent's "role" with the AD to handle this, but you're probably just fuoking up his day while not changing anything by going to him. 

My fellow MBMs, while I may be another moron here on this board. I know one thing: this has reached the point where Billiken fans need to start going over the Athletics Department to those in SLU admin that can enact some sort of change. Someone needs to pull Pestello's head out of his a$$ on this. 

AGREED! Pestello has a major issue on his hands that needs to be resolved!  Is he a leader or not?

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You're not wrong. Someone go up to Chaifetz next time he's in town. May has intentionally flanked Pestello in the past to prevent band members from talking to him, so just be prepared for that.

Edited by BrettJollyComedyHour
I can't spell.

2 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

You're not wrong. Someone go up to Chaifetz next time he's in town. May has intentionally flanked Pestello in the past to prevent band members from talking to him, so just be prepared for that.

Honestly I think everyone on this board should literally go (respectfully) talk to Pestello next home game. Make it impossible to actually enjoy the gameday because he’s dealing with people asking about the band. Same with Chaifetz. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

AGREED! Pestello has a major issue on his hands that needs to be resolved!  Is he a leader or not?

Not joking, May is the Grima Wormtongue to Pestello's Theoden in this situation. This could be your Gandalf the White moment, Lord Elrond.

21 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Not joking, May is the Grima Wormtongue to Pestello's Theoden in this situation. This could be your Gandalf the White moment, Lord Elrond.

I’ll summon a council here in Rivendell of all the free people of Middle Earth….

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

a lot of great songs seem to have disappeared.   i used to love the "Hey Baby" where the band wrote the lyrics that the band and students sang normally to needle the other team.

imo "superstition" and "taking it to the streets" were two of the best songs they used to regularly play.   they talk about timing, the bruno mars song "runaway" used to be played every game and many times was started to coincide with either the first or second half starts.   

FREE THE BAND!

Roy, where is your sensitivity for the feelings of the other team? Aggression is bad too. This is why why wait for the other team to erode our lead and win at the end of games.                                              

16 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

If the band really wanted to cause a ruckus, they'd all show up and go off script playing whatever they wanted. 

Dweezil Zappa once did a tour playing his dad's music during an infamous lawsuit with his siblings called "Dweezil Zappa Plays Whatever the Fuok He Wants." I've always liked that attitude.

48 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

If the band really wanted to cause a ruckus, they'd all show up and go off script playing whatever they wanted. 

THAT WOULD BE FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(though sadly the band isn't that loud without the sound system.....)

12 hours ago, thetorch said:

I broke out my old band cd today.  I miss 25 or 6 to 4. I forgot i hadn't heard that played by the band in probably 10 years.

6 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

a lot of great songs seem to have disappeared.   i used to love the "Hey Baby" where the band wrote the lyrics that the band and students sang normally to needle the other team.

imo "superstition" and "taking it to the streets" were two of the best songs they used to regularly play.   they talk about timing, the bruno mars song "runaway" used to be played every game and many times was started to coincide with either the first or second half starts.   

FREE THE BAND!

Wow. I didn't realize how much had changed since I left. So often we started pregame with 25 or 6 to 4. Runaway Baby as super fun to play as a Tenor Sax. 

-I think messing with Doc Chaifetz's gameday experience, in an arena named after him, is not the path to take

-I question if Pestello knows we have (had?) a band

-I wonder if the band could approach Frank and get time on his show to explain this? Stu for an article?

-we need a real sneaky SOB to hack control of the sound board so the band could play what they want, when they want and especially play over Gus spewing his nonsense and while we're at it announce the dance team as the Baby Blues 

laker119 likes this

20 hours ago, JMM28 said:

05 is exactly right. That stuff isn’t a decision maker as a stand alone thing. But it’s simple sales - give them a good experience, put together a chain of “cool”/yes, and close. 

if SLU wants basketball attendance to stay viable, the production quality needs to go way up. The casual fan isn’t coming down in the winter to go watch basketball. They want an experience. 

Last year when I went to Memphis to watch the Billikens it was very enjoyable.  Even though we lost Memphis puts on a good atmosphere to go with the game.  There are so many stoppages in college basketball.  You really need to have a good time filler for the fans.  Especially with the shorter attention spans of kids.  My kids (Two 18yr olds and a 12yr old) are just ho hum about going.  If there is anything else remotely going on they choose not to go.  

48 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I think messing with Doc Chaifetz's gameday experience, in an arena named after him, is not the path to take

-I question if Pestello knows we have (had?) a band

-I wonder if the band could approach Frank and get time on his show to explain this? Stu for an article?

-we need a real sneaky SOB to hack control of the sound board so the band could play what they want, when they want and especially play over Gus spewing his nonsense and while we're at it announce the dance team as the Baby Blues 

Pestello is definitely not Biondi. With Biondi you knew exactly where he stood and what would be done, with Pestello you do not. Pestello is not a commander giving orders, he is more of a decision by committee type of guy.

17 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I would go talk to Pestello, but I think I would be too focused on trying to figure out what muppet he looks most like. But he wears sneakers, so he is cool like me and relatable.

Hey Kids GIFs | Tenor

The green sweater he was wearing last game screamed Mr. Rogers lol.

3 hours ago, Slowry said:

I wish the band would play more instead of the “Billiken Clap” and the “ Saint Louis” cheer.  I hate forced emotion.  Both of these things are kind of a buzz kill.  At least to me.

Both of those are better than the “High Five Cam.” 😂 

9 minutes ago, thunderdan said:

Both of those are better than the “High Five Cam.” 😂 

Also ripped off from band. For 10 years the saxophones have had a tradition of high fiving whenever they get on the screen, even while playing. 
Funny when 2-4 people do it as a bit, dumb when they tried to involve the whole arena.

8 hours ago, laker119 said:

Class action lawsuit?  I may have missed something but where are the legal damages here?  I get some people are upset and the athletic dept. created another mess here, but a lawsuit may be a tad much

Hearing loss due to measurable decibels far higher than the human ear can safely handle. This is a real thing.  SLU is in total control of the sound level at Chaifetz.  We are not talking about crowd noise here.  We are talking about mechanical amplification of music and vocals.