Band?

Cowboy II

9 hours ago, Taj79 said:

There are a slew of schools that survive as basketball-only programs.  Gonzaga.  St.  Mary's.  Nova.  Seton Hall.  Xavier.  Dreaded Dayton.  Providence.  Charleston.  Iona.  Siena.  Belmont.  Maybe looking there for an assistant AD who has lived through times with these programs is a viable choice.  May came from football-centric Colorado.

Both Villanova and Dayton have football (FCS)

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, willie said:

Come on 79. You have been around this program a long time. Chris May is one of the best if not the best AD this program has had in 50 years. Can we find fault ? Sure. Give me any AD and someone will have disagreements. Good hires? Basically yes. Upgraded facilities! Definitely yes. Improvement of minor sports? Definitely yes. It’s easy for someone from afar to pick on issues like the band but you are not look at the big issues. While AD’s like Yow and Levick did some good things May has been our best AD sine Larry Albus. 

As an effective basketball AD? Yeah probably. As a human being? Hell no.

d

7 hours ago, willie said:

Come on 79. You have been around this program a long time. Chris May is one of the best if not the best AD this program has had in 50 years. Can we find fault ? Sure. Give me any AD and someone will have disagreements. Good hires? Basically yes. Upgraded facilities! Definitely yes. Improvement of minor sports? Definitely yes. It’s easy for someone from afar to pick on issues like the band but you are not look at the big issues. While AD’s like Yow and Levick did some good things May has been our best AD sine Larry Albus. 

Oh man this is so off base, it's frustrating. I understand that from the outside, yes everything looks good. The Champions Center, the Soccer Legacy center. Nobody has ever criticized CM's ability to raise funds for the department. You want to give him credit for hiring Katie Shields, fine. Kalish was handpicked by Kavanaugh, nevermind the fact that it was his dream job.

The culture within the athletics staff is a mess. The staff turnover is extremely high, people are constantly leaving. And not for better positions; some completely leaving the sports industry. The department is micromanaged beyond belief. This is nothing new either. The same stories I've heard from people who left 8 years ago and I've heard it within last 3 years. I have to leave it there in this forum but if ANYONE wants to ask me about it, most of you know where to find me at Chaifetz or at Humphreys on the 7th.

13 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

As an effective fundraiser? Yeah probably. As a department head? Hell no.

I'm amending your statement.

Spoon-Balls likes this

28 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Jerseys, facilities, band, music, etc all matter but NIL is on track to trump all. That's what May will be ultimately judged on

This is exactly right, the game has changed and timing wise possibly not the best timing with big donors being hit up for the recent locker room upgrades and shovels currently in the ground on the other project ($20 million project). And if the team continues to underperform, getting those same folks to adequately fund NIL might be problematic. Again, I have no idea what the athletic department is doing (and I know some say technically this isn’t driven by the athletic department), but the strategy on that would be good information to know if giving a true evaluation of May who is certainly a nice guy, but possibly a blah athletic director.

If we are looking at May’s tenure and the one revenue generating sport, you do have the Crews era. You can certainly justify it, but as bad as it gets.

Its nice to have winning soccer programs or volleyball or baseball or whatever. But for SLU the only thing an AD is going to be judged on is the basketball program winning and money coming in the door. The money coming in the door is mostly driven by the basketball program winning.

4 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

This is more to the truth. Milking donations and greasing palms is his specialty.

CM is a good fundraiser. Doesn't make him a great AD in all areas.

TF is a great recruiter. Doesn't make him a great coach in all areas.

Spoon-Balls likes this

16 hours ago, SouthSide_Billiken said:

Based on their actions (as outlined in this thread), current Athletic Department leadership doesn't seem to realize the importance of having a legitimate band. Furthermore, given the current trajectory of things, I am not sure we are capable of being big time without major changes. I am not sure they truly know how to be big time. 

Big time programs don't constantly screw up the details and overlook the little things. 

Boom. Nothing else needs to be said.

@willie personally, I like Chris May.  I've sat with him at various games, conversed with him in alumni gatherings, gotten a top notch personal tour of Chaifetz when I visited some years back, etc.  I am asking only because of thinking 'outside the box' as they like to say.  You can read f05's diatribe above and we all know f05 has deep-rooted issues with the AD but ignoring that, why not ask the question?  If Ford has plateaued, what about Chris May?  I'm not advocating changing Ford or May (just yet) but I'm getting closer on Ford than ever.  Maybe if we need Ford to evaluate where his tenure is would that not be so too true of May.  May's fund raising and facilities upgrades are fantastic.  Maybe organizing a better work model needs improvement.  I don't know; just saying ......

@BC1764I don't count FCS football as major football.  Those programs don't drive those schools' athletic budgets.  Basketball does.  FCS Football is secondary.  And we have two such secondary programs in men's and women's soccer.  Applying lessons learned in such an environment would seem to be a nice fit for someone taking the SLU job.  If you look at my list, I specifically avoided Ivy League schools, Patriot League schools, and mostly all others that hold onto the ghost of football.  

Again, I personally like Chris May.  But maybe I'm advocating a top-down review of all things.  Which is essentially men's basketball.

I don't count FCS football as major football.  Those programs don't drive those schools' athletic budgets.  Basketball does.  FCS Football is secondary.

Tell that to North Dakota State, South Dakota State, the Montanas, etc…

Yeah, it’s a different subdivision, but it’s still under the umbrella of Division I. How else do you explain, again, a Lindenwood moving up to that level ? Football is football and it pays the bills.

@BC1764--- I think you are comparing apples to oranges.  When was the last time North Dakota State, SOuth Dakota State, or Montana made consistent noise in NCAA basketball?  Besides Dayton, Richmond, Fordham, Duquesne, Rhode Island and Umass all play football.  And not very well.  With scholarships and reciprocal Title XI scholarships, no way they are breaking even.  

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

@willie personally, I like Chris May.  I've sat with him at various games, conversed with him in alumni gatherings, gotten a top notch personal tour of Chaifetz when I visited some years back, etc.  I am asking only because of thinking 'outside the box' as they like to say.  You can read f05's diatribe above and we all know f05 has deep-rooted issues with the AD but ignoring that, why not ask the question?  If Ford has plateaued, what about Chris May?  I'm not advocating changing Ford or May (just yet) but I'm getting closer on Ford than ever.  Maybe if we need Ford to evaluate where his tenure is would that not be so too true of May.  May's fund raising and facilities upgrades are fantastic.  Maybe organizing a better work model needs improvement.  I don't know; just saying ......

@BC1764I don't count FCS football as major football.  Those programs don't drive those schools' athletic budgets.  Basketball does.  FCS Football is secondary.  And we have two such secondary programs in men's and women's soccer.  Applying lessons learned in such an environment would seem to be a nice fit for someone taking the SLU job.  If you look at my list, I specifically avoided Ivy League schools, Patriot League schools, and mostly all others that hold onto the ghost of football.  

Again, I personally like Chris May.  But maybe I'm advocating a top-down review of all things.  Which is essentially men's basketball.

Taj it's not a diatribe. It's a reality. This isn't about me, it's about the present state of the athletic department. You wanna hop in the DMs I can give you a laundry list. Homeboy wants your $$$, you think Hooters girls are interested in what you have to say too?

BilliesBy40 likes this

Like that you are the head cry baby cheerleader.  Keep up the good work.  Face it —- you don’t like May because he wants nothing to do with you.  You’ll b*tch until you get your job there.  Which means you’ll cry forever.  

Billiken Rich likes this

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Like that you are the head cry baby cheerleader.  Keep up the good work.  Face it —- you don’t like May because he wants nothing to do with you.  You’ll b*tch until you get your job there.  Which means you’ll cry forever.  

I don't like May because he's a phony. Call me Holden Caulfield, but that gladhanding bull**** bothers me.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

There it is. You don't believe me because you don't like me personally. I wouldn't want to work for Chris May, EVER. And judging by the continuous staff turnover, it appears I'm not alone.

I wear his ire toward me like a badge of honor.

Spoon-Balls likes this

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I mean there’s been 15 graduating classes since mine.

You're almost exactly 7 years older than me based on your profile info. I'm class of '15.

My brother was probably a sophomore when you were a senior.

Edited by BrettJollyComedyHour