Band?

Cowboy II

8 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I don’t know anything about pep band turnout in the arena tonight, but I’ve heard that there’s a pretty good band that has started to play before games at Humphrey’s. Great blend of instruments. Exciting stuff!

Do you think they will be better than the Melvin Turnage Band that used to play there back in the 90s?

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

band seems to have become predominately alumni since the blow up.   and with this being a 6 pm game, i am not expecting a big band turnout as the alumni do have jobs not billiken related. 

To be fair the students have only been back for 1 men's home game and 2 women's games. I would imagine there will be more tonight.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-I see on the social scroll an invitation to join the Band and then a Twitter about not having a director, any details to share?

I was wondering when someone was going to pose this question/pick up on the socials.  And well.....kinda(?).

At this time, we only know a few things.  One, the interim Director was unfortunately NOT able to reach an agreement with the AD to continue her "tenure" as the permanent director.  So, in all likelihood, the AD will be searching for an outside source to direct whatever the "Band" will look like next season.  EDIT: In fact, found the job listing on Indeed:

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Saint-Louis-University/jobs?jk=b32316482d053384&q=Assistant Director&l=St. Louis%2C MO&start=0

I specifically chose to put the above in that context as, a Band alum, we have heard dimp as to whether we will be allowed to support the Band as it has been in the past.  I've seen that social scroll post, along with the other advertisement the university/AD put out there, and it was fairly poignant at emphasizing a STUDENT Band.  Obviously, things can change, but I have a sneaking suspicion the alum support has run its course.  Time always tells, so who knows...maybe the new director will have a soft spot for not trying to fix what wasn't broken.  But...I have a feeling this is their chance to get their "Yes" man in place so they have the full control they've been clamoring for forever and a day.

On a personal note, I have to absolutely LAUGH at the fact the university/AD are wanting a 20-30 second "audition" video submitted to be considered for the Band.  Again, SLU is by no means a MUSIC SCHOOL...what undergrad is going to take the time to make an audition tape for a VOLUNTEER group?!?!  😶  This left me absolutely speechless when I read that...eh who am I kidding, I laughed my @$$ off!

Sorry there's not more smoke on this fire at the moment, but it is what it is.  We'll just all be hurrying up to wait.  Gonna be a LONG summer!

The title of the job posting is: Assistant Coach - Band Director.  But in the text of the job posting, they refer to the position as the Interim Band Director. So are they hiring a permanent replacement or not? It’s a 14 hour per week job too. Oh well, I wish the band well.

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

The title of the job posting is: Assistant Coach - Band Director.  But in the text of the job posting, they refer to the position as the Interim Band Director. So are they hiring a permanent replacement or not? It’s a 14 hour per week job too. Oh well, I wish the band well.

Agree - right before the Loyola game, a number of band members played outside at Humphreys and it was awesome - it would be cool as hell to get the band leading the charge down/up Laclede from Humphreys to Chaifetz with fans, students and alumni bringing up the rear. They really sounded great - kind of a crack squad of musicians, but I was impressed! In any event, I hope we can keep the band alive and well to add the ambiance only they can!

15 hours ago, SLUAvtr said:

I was wondering when someone was going to pose this question/pick up on the socials.  And well.....kinda(?).

At this time, we only know a few things.  One, the interim Director was unfortunately NOT able to reach an agreement with the AD to continue her "tenure" as the permanent director.  So, in all likelihood, the AD will be searching for an outside source to direct whatever the "Band" will look like next season.  EDIT: In fact, found the job listing on Indeed:

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Saint-Louis-University/jobs?jk=b32316482d053384&q=Assistant Director&l=St. Louis%2C MO&start=0

I specifically chose to put the above in that context as, a Band alum, we have heard dimp as to whether we will be allowed to support the Band as it has been in the past.  I've seen that social scroll post, along with the other advertisement the university/AD put out there, and it was fairly poignant at emphasizing a STUDENT Band.  Obviously, things can change, but I have a sneaking suspicion the alum support has run its course.  Time always tells, so who knows...maybe the new director will have a soft spot for not trying to fix what wasn't broken.  But...I have a feeling this is their chance to get their "Yes" man in place so they have the full control they've been clamoring for forever and a day.

On a personal note, I have to absolutely LAUGH at the fact the university/AD are wanting a 20-30 second "audition" video submitted to be considered for the Band.  Again, SLU is by no means a MUSIC SCHOOL...what undergrad is going to take the time to make an audition tape for a VOLUNTEER group?!?!  😶  This left me absolutely speechless when I read that...eh who am I kidding, I laughed my @$$ off!

Sorry there's not more smoke on this fire at the moment, but it is what it is.  We'll just all be hurrying up to wait.  Gonna be a LONG summer!

-thanks, why the ADept decided to pick this fight leaves me wondering

-if all students then no Band over Christmas?

30 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

nothing slu has decided about the band the last few years makes any sense.   why F with "The World's Greatest Pep Band"?   if they knew the talent makeup of the Band and whether they were students or Alumni, they would have left them alone.   There are alumni in our pep band worthy of much greater musical memberships than our little pep band.   without them, imo, we are headed for entire games of piped in music.   ugh!

SLU_Lax and BuiltFordBills like this

5 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

nothing slu has decided about the band the last few years makes any sense.   why F with "The World's Greatest Pep Band"?   if they knew the talent makeup of the Band and whether they were students or Alumni, they would have left them alone.   There are alumni in our pep band worthy of much greater musical memberships than our little pep band.   without them, imo, we are headed for entire games of piped in music.   ugh!

It’s been the opinion of me and several others, just from observing things over time, that for whatever reason, the SLU Pep Band as it has been for years doesn’t really fit into what the SLU athletics department has in mind for a game day experience. This pretty much dates back to when Chris May became the AD. Recently however, a big issue was playing time and scripting of music. When you have a band that actually prides itself on musical selection and performance, and then a revolving door of athletics department staff who might not even know that the band plays different musical instruments ends up making song choices in an effort the start “a tradition”, it doesn’t go well.

17 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

Agree - right before the Loyola game, a number of band members played outside at Humphreys and it was awesome - it would be cool as hell to get the band leading the charge down/up Laclede from Humphreys to Chaifetz with fans, students and alumni bringing up the rear. They really sounded great - kind of a crack squad of musicians, but I was impressed! In any event, I hope we can keep the band alive and well to add the ambiance only they can!

We’re glad you enjoyed it, but just as a clarification, we’re not affiliated with the SLU Pep Band.

TheBand likes this

-do we know who in the ADept is evaluating the audition videos?  I don't know much about music so I ask is it a given if a  solo video playing any instrument is judged exceptional does that translate to playing well as part of a group?

-I like the Band, very much, and think my gameday experience would be reduced if there is no Band, I hope it doesn't come to that

-is this the biggest issue facing the ADept? certainly not but likely is very personal for the Band members and seems  an entirely self-inflicted issue

Just now, Cowboy II said:

-do we know who in the ADept is evaluating the audition videos?  I don't know much about music so I ask is it a given if a  solo video playing any instrument is judged exceptional does that translate to playing well as part of a group?

-I like the Band, very much, and think my gameday experience would be reduced if there is no Band, I hope it doesn't come to that

-is this the biggest issue facing the ADept? certainly not but likely is very personal for the Band members and seems  an entirely self-inflicted issue

i would say for the vast majority of time that would be the case.   it would be rare for a conventionally trained musician not have band or orchestra experience.   and of course the opposite, a horrible solo musician would be a very good part of a band or orchestra

those pushing this issue must be crazy.   if they have a reason they are messing with a winning success story of the billikens like the pep band, they should share it with the fandom.  i certainly dont understand it.  

Why not consider the fans when they make these decisions? The band has been a great contributor to the game day experience for years and the once a band member always a band member meme is great tradition. It wasn’t broke so why did they try to fix it?

22 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

It’s a 14 hour per week job too.

During basketball season, it's quite a bit more than 14 hours per week. The interim director put in a number of 30 hour weeks in addition to her full time job.

3 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

It’s been the opinion of me and several others, just from observing things over time, that for whatever reason, the SLU Pep Band as it has been for years doesn’t really fit into what the SLU athletics department has in mind for a game day experience. This pretty much dates back to when Chris May became the AD. Recently however, a big issue was playing time and scripting of music. When you have a band that actually prides itself on musical selection and performance, and then a revolving door of athletics department staff who might not even know that the band plays different musical instruments ends up making song choices in an effort the start “a tradition”, it doesn’t go well.

We’re glad you enjoyed it, but just as a clarification, we’re not affiliated with the SLU Pep Band.

Ahhh I did not know that. Battle of the Bands!! 

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

During basketball season, it's quite a bit more than 14 hours per week. The interim director put in a number of 30 hour weeks in addition to her full time job.

I would guess so, but that’s what was on the job posting

The epic mismanagement of the Billikens gameday experience should be in itself enough to fire Chris May.

The band was an institution.  It was a tradition.  They ruined it.

THe worse part is, the A10 might have the two best bands in the country in George Mason and VCU.  We were better than them just a few years ago.  Now we don't even have a band.

12 minutes ago, thetorch said:

The epic mismanagement of the Billikens gameday experience should be in itself enough to fire Chris May.

The band was an institution.  It was a tradition.  They ruined it.

THe worse part is, the A10 might have the two best bands in the country in George Mason and VCU.  We were better than them just a few years ago.  Now we don't even have a band.

Not to be argumentative but I’m not sure we were ever better than VCU. 

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don’t go to the game to hear the band. I moved my seats a decade ago to get as far away from the band as I could. I don’t go to the game for the intro video. I don’t care who the PA announcer is.

I go to the game to see the game. 

That's fine. Colleges have had bands at sporting events for over a century. They've always added to atmosphere and student and alumni engagement. Just because you don't care for it doesn't mean many other do.

JMM28 likes this

I don't disagree with HP on this one.  The problem stems (IMHO) from the glut of 'craptainment' put out by teams in the major leagues.  And we all know that stuff tends to trickle down.  It's no longer the product on the field, or the team as its constructed, or if it's winning.  No --- it all seems to be about the stadium, the amenities, the entertainment, the scoreboards, the kiss cam, the bust-a-move- cam, and all the other cams (get on the scoreboard for ten seconds of fame), sky boxes, waiters, padded seats ..... the list is endless.  You want old school --- go to the Palestra in Philly.  All bleacher seats.  Bring your own asspad if you want comfort.  

I will say I do miss one thing ----- CUSA days.  The dance squads at Cincy, Memphis, Louisville and UAB would (and did) make a grown man cry.

White Pelican likes this

2 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

That's fine. Colleges have had bands at sporting events for over a century. They've always added to atmosphere and student and alumni engagement. Just because you don't care for it doesn't mean many other do.

The best home game of the year, for me, was the win over Memphis.  Was the band there?  I don't remember. 

I do remember the game.  Collins went off with 20 plus or minus points, Jimerson was clutch from the arc, and Parker showed his potential after not doing much in the two previous games.

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The best home game of the year, for me, was the win over Memphis.  Was the band there?  I don't remember. 

I do remember the game.  Collins went off with 20 plus or minus points, Jimerson was clutch from the arc, and Parker showed his potential after not doing much in the two previous games.

Good times.