Band?

Cowboy II

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

If SLU wants to maintain the illusion that they’re a D1 school, then they need to have a D1 atmosphere.

A band is a part of the NCAA basketball experience in my opinion. SLU is selling an experience when you go to a game, and the band is a big part of that experience. 

5 hours ago, Deutschkind said:

Wow. I didn't realize how much had changed since I left. So often we started pregame with 25 or 6 to 4. Runaway Baby as super fun to play as a Tenor Sax. 

I’m also shocked at how many of the Band traditions have been dismantled.

It sounds like they were forced to discard all the good music and the classics in favor of these “cheers” that are supposed to create “new traditions” and “do it AD’s way.” I don’t fault any of the band for leaving having to put up with that shite. One of the best parts of band was coming up with new music every year and getting to innovate the way we wanted to, not the way AD wanted us to.

12 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

a lot of great songs seem to have disappeared.   i used to love the "Hey Baby" where the band wrote the lyrics that the band and students sang normally to needle the other team.

imo "superstition" and "taking it to the streets" were two of the best songs they used to regularly play.   they talk about timing, the bruno mars song "runaway" used to be played every game and many times was started to coincide with either the first or second half starts.   

FREE THE BAND!

“You can call me Al” is my all time fav. Always reminds me of Bills basketball. When I yell/hum the 1st 4 notes in the summer, my wife is like, “Nope. It’s not November yet”.

Westy03 likes this

I've already emailed May regarding firing Coach Ford.

We had a good Pep band it was unique with the mix of alumni and students.

On another note anyone else here accomplish the Billiken Triple Play?  You gotta hook up with a band member, cheerleader and Baby Blue.   Bonus points if you do it 10 years after you graduate.

This Band controversy needs to be nipped in the bud, now, before further damage is done.  It would be far more preferable to leave the Band alone and let it play the songs, the way it used to be there.  If it's not broke, and it wasn't, then don't fix it.

My friend from our SLU days and I recall SLU's NCAA appearance in Columbus in 2012.  The Friday night game after SLU vs. Memphis featured 16 Seed LIU-Brooklyn getting blown out by #1 Seed Michigan State.  LIU had no band.  Rather its baseline section reserved for a band was occupied by what appeared to be a group of student dancers.  Folks, we don't want to go to the A10 Tournament or the NCAA Tournament without a Band.  If we want to be big time, we need to look like we're big time.  And a pep band is part of being big time in College Basketball.

If you want to have even the semblance of being big time, you must have a band.  I've seen the alternatives in my time at SLU, and more recently in the WCC.  USF(CA), St. Mary's, and Santa Clara at least are trying to have bands, none of them remotely comparable to what we had at SLU.  USF's band is a work in progress, at first consisting of too many drums, not enough horns.  But the band attempt is being made. At USF games, "Make some noise," is yelled to the point that it's an annoyance, given there might be 1,500 people in the stands.  Maybe some CYO Hoopsters respond, but the imploring is unnecessary.  At SLU, it's really unnecessary.  This fanbase doesn't need to be told to "make some noise."

Is SLU receding into piped in music, artificial noise?  Please, no, a thousand times no.

When SLU plays in the A10 Tournament, SLU has the band, looks big time, above amoebas like St. Bona, LaSalle.  Let's keep it that way.

19 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

If we want to be big time, we need to look like we're big time.  And a pep band is part of being big time in College Basketball.

If you want to have even the semblance of being big time, you must have a band.  

Based on their actions (as outlined in this thread), current Athletic Department leadership doesn't seem to realize the importance of having a legitimate band. Furthermore, given the current trajectory of things, I am not sure we are capable of being big time without major changes. I am not sure they truly know how to be big time. 

Big time programs don't constantly screw up the details and overlook the little things. 

1 hour ago, Spoon-Balls said:

I’m also shocked at how many of the Band traditions have been dismantled.

It sounds like they were forced to discard all the good music and the classics in favor of these “cheers” that are supposed to create “new traditions” and “do it AD’s way.” I don’t fault any of the band for leaving having to put up with that shite. One of the best parts of band was coming up with new music every year and getting to innovate the way we wanted to, not the way AD wanted us to.

You can’t force new traditions.  They happen organically and aren’t the result of an assistant Athletic Director trying to add items to their resume so they can move on to the next school.

Apropos of nothing, my favorite one-off Band song was the theme to Hawaii 5-0 when we played U of Hawaii at Kielviscottradenterprise years ago. Heard them rehearsing before the game and again during the game. Was blown away at good they sounded. Better than the original on TV. And probably learned it in a short time just for that one game.

And then we had to go and lose the game. But I remember that song! Let's get the Band back!

I am curious and really don't know but SouthSide Billiken's statement about a legitimate band made me wonder ---- are all/most pep bands a haphazard collection of students and alumni or are we the exception?  I've been to enough A10 places (La Salle, Fordham, St. Joe's, Mason, Dayton, Duquesne) and feel that only Mason and Dayton 'might' be solely student enterprises but I truly don't know.  Does anyone?

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I am curious and really don't know but SouthSide Billiken's statement about a legitimate band made me wonder ---- are all/most pep bands a haphazard collection of students and alumni or are we the exception?  I've been to enough A10 places (La Salle, Fordham, St. Joe's, Mason, Dayton, Duquesne) and feel that only Mason and Dayton 'might' be solely student enterprises but I truly don't know.  Does anyone?

I can remember it being mentioned that alums were playing in the UMass band during a SLU game there.  Not sure if that is a regular thing or was a special 'alumni night' situation.

4 hours ago, BC1764 said:

I hope the Good Doctor is as pissed about all of this as we are, because as he goes, so goes SLU basketball (men and women’s).

I suspect he is busy making calls about potential new head coaches.

1 hour ago, SouthSide_Billiken said:

Based on their actions (as outlined in this thread), current Athletic Department leadership doesn't seem to realize the importance of having a legitimate band. Furthermore, given the current trajectory of things, I am not sure we are capable of being big time without major changes. I am not sure they truly know how to be big time. 

Big time programs don't constantly screw up the details and overlook the little things. 

Reminds me of when Majerus stated bluntly that the SLU athletic program (paraphrasing) 'didn't know how to be winners'.

BC1764 likes this

There are a slew of schools that survive as basketball-only programs.  Gonzaga.  St.  Mary's.  Nova.  Seton Hall.  Xavier.  Dreaded Dayton.  Providence.  Charleston.  Iona.  Siena.  Belmont.  Maybe looking there for an assistant AD who has lived through times with these programs is a viable choice.  May came from football-centric Colorado.

DeSmetBilliken and BC1764 like this

Come on 79. You have been around this program a long time. Chris May is one of the best if not the best AD this program has had in 50 years. Can we find fault ? Sure. Give me any AD and someone will have disagreements. Good hires? Basically yes. Upgraded facilities! Definitely yes. Improvement of minor sports? Definitely yes. It’s easy for someone from afar to pick on issues like the band but you are not look at the big issues. While AD’s like Yow and Levick did some good things May has been our best AD sine Larry Albus. 

2 hours ago, willie said:

Come on 79. You have been around this program a long time. Chris May is one of the best if not the best AD this program has had in 50 years. Can we find fault ? Sure. Give me any AD and someone will have disagreements. Good hires? Basically yes. Upgraded facilities! Definitely yes. Improvement of minor sports? Definitely yes. It’s easy for someone from afar to pick on issues like the band but you are not look at the big issues. While AD’s like Yow and Levick did some good things May has been our best AD sine Larry Albus. 

Good post. It's easy to nit pick. There's a lot of good people in the AD

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this