Mass Exiting?

I'm expecting that the majority of the roster will enter the transfer portal, especially players with 2 to 3 years of eligibility left which is most of the roster. It will be an interesting developing story that will be happening at the same time SLU is searching for a new coach.  It will also be interesting to see which players the new coach, when hired wants to retain at SLU.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

I'm expecting that the majority of the roster will enter the transfer portal, especially players with 2 to 3 years of eligibility left which is most of the roster. It will be an interesting developing story that will be happening at the same time SLU is searching for a new coach.  It will also be interesting to see which players the new coach, when hired wants to retain at SLU.

Probably not the best idea.  

You are forfeiting your spot on the roster and giving up your scholarship... to test the waters.  Might be a good idea to check out the new guy  and then make a decision.

13 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

All will be immediately eligible, so you will probably see most of the roster enter. I've been told that Jimerson has several reasons to stay and his intention was to stick around regardless of a coaching change. Given his NIL deal, he's probably a good bet to come back. Sincere's injury-plagued season probably limits his NIL possibilities elsewhere, so coming back may be in his best interest. Personally, I'd try to keep Gibby, Sincere, and Ezewiro regardless of the new coach. I would assume Larry will stay.  If we land a developmentally-focused coach I wouldn't mind keeping Cian and Thames.

cgeldmacher likes this

11 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

You are forfeiting your spot on the roster and giving up your scholarship... to test the waters.  Might be a good idea to check out the new guy  and then make a decision.

This x100.  No reason to make a rash decision if you want to possibly have a spot on SLU’s roster.  If you declare for the portal the school doesn’t have to take you back by rule.  This is how you end up in a lower conference or division unless you have something lined up. For most of the roster they are in the former group and not the latter.

The portal period is long enough to see your fit with the new staff before entering. 

Zink and Crewsorlose like this

6 hours ago, Bilzz said:

All will be immediately eligible, so you will probably see most of the roster enter. I've been told that Jimerson has several reasons to stay and his intention was to stick around regardless of a coaching change. Given his NIL deal, he's probably a good bet to come back. Sincere's injury-plagued season probably limits his NIL possibilities elsewhere, so coming back may be in his best interest. Personally, I'd try to keep Gibby, Sincere, and Ezewiro regardless of the new coach. I would assume Larry will stay.  If we land a developmentally-focused coach I wouldn't mind keeping Cian and Thames.

Yes, those are the six I'd most like to see come back.  I really like Thames's and Medley's potential.  Thames can create his own shot, seems to be a plus defender and plays with energy.  Medley has come a long way and looks like a keeper to me.

3 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Yes, those are the five I'd most like to see come back.

Although if we land a Mack/Wade/Moser type, I would rather try to keep the top 3 and let him do what he can in the portal. If its someone like Schertz, I'd try to keep Cian and Thames too. 

17 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

I think Gibby is definitely back.  I think that Parker is 100% gone.  Out of the rest of the guys the ones I would most like to see return are Medley, SVB and Djordje.  I include SVB and Djordje in this group because I think they offer things valuable off the bench and they will have no issue with accepting a bench role next season. I think the most likely to return are Hughes and to a lesser extent Thames.  If the next coach retains Harry, then SVB and Djordje will be back.

SLU_Lax likes this

47 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

That’s an excellent point. Also, based on this year’s performance, who gets paid more? I’d love to see some data on what percentage of players that enter the portal get nothing next year, it’s probably much higher than many people realize.

I am not sure about Parker. He is a gifted scorer, but poor defender. When I've seen him on the bench, he seems disinterested in the game. I dont recall him celebrating teammates making big plays.

Murse15 likes this

-from a pure entertainment perspective I would like SVB to return as I enjoy watching the mayhem he brings to the post - - the left handed runner he made last night was also an eye opener

-if we HIRE THE RIGHT COACH then they can build their roster

Sincere is gone.  

Jimerson will be back.  I would keep Cian, Thames, Hughes, & SVB, Zhang and Mougasa are maybes.  Ezewiro needs to go.

30 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I am not sure about Parker. He is a gifted scorer, but poor defender. When I've seen him on the bench, he seems disinterested in the game. I dont recall him celebrating teammates making big plays.

He gone.

Verbal Commits has 133 already listed in the portal.  The portal doesn't 'officially open' until Monday.  The official window is kind of meaningless, as the open portal is when they can enter their name into the portal without penalty, whatever that now means.

For conversation, why wouldn't Jimerson want to pretty much get a 'guarantee' to play in the NCAA tourney by transferring up.  New coaches in the A10 don't have a great history of making the tourney in year one.  Does Chaifetz discuss a post-basketball job with one of his companies in order to keep him here?  Does he  want to stay to break Bonner's record?  Does Jimerson's girlfriend provide the deciding answer?

Why would Medley stay?  The coach and staff who recruited him are gone.  The PG coach who has 2 PG in the NBA and one on the cusp is gone. He is a long way from home.

Why would Parker stay?  As with Gibson, do you go for a higher chance of the NCAA?  Will Parker get an NIL offer here that is better than other offers?

Foreign players:  Who knows.  Four players, four stories.  I'll put my marker on 2 stay and 2 go. 

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

What’s his next move?

Transfer down and put up 20+ per game?

Transfer up and come off the bench? 

Play professionally in some Eastern European country? 

He could play on the same team as Dalger, while working on family problems…

dlarry and JMM28 like this

Thames, Larry, Gibby, Curcic, SVB, and Medley are keepers. I spoke to Medley’s dad at MBeach and he said the reason Cian came to SLU was Travis and how he developed Yuri. I think Cian may bolt for an East Coast Team. He came on strong and might want to play closer to home. Here’s hoping he holds his horses until he meets the new coach. 

BLIKNS likes this

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Thames, Larry, Gibby, Curcic, SVB, and Medley are keepers. I spoke to Medley’s dad at MBeach and he said the reason Cian came to SLU was Travis and how he developed Yuri. I think Cian may bolt for an East Coast Team. He came on strong and might want to play closer to home. Here’s hoping he holds his horses until he meets the new coach. 

Cian to st joes. Book it