Highlights of the Ford Era ?

As we move on (hopefully) we can reflect on the Ford Era Highlights.

We can all agree that the 2019 A-10 Tournament Run was the best part of the Ford Era, but do we have enough to create a list of 10 top moments?  Top 5?

SLU Pic.jpg

Moments on the court? I’m not sure. With that said, highlights of the Ford era for me were getting to watch Jordan Goodwin and Javonte Perkins play for the Billikens. You could probably add Hasahn French and Yuri Collins in there as well, but I just got a little more enjoyment out of watching Goodwin and Perkins. 

Yeah that 2019 run at Barclays was amazing. That Championship Sunday (which was also St. Patrick’s Day) morning having Mass said with Father Mike Rozier at the Marriott and then heading over to the game - you felt a major momentum shift in the health of the program in the right direction - then the floor fell out beneath us in March 2020. Some programs just went on doing what they’ve always done. Then there’s SLU. 

But, to that point, that was one of the most fun stretches of college basketball I’ve been fortunate enough to have attended. Truly blessed, as Ford would say. 

I think it might be easier to list the five biggest disappointments under CTF.  Situation 2.  Last year's failure to launch.  Carte'are Gordon.  This year's recruiting.  Burnergate.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I think it might be easier to list the five biggest disappointments under CTF.  Situation 2.  Last year's failure to launch.  Carte'are Gordon.  This year's recruiting.  Burnergate.

High ranked recruits JGood, Gordon and Nesbitt=2,3,4 of the top 10 moments...no guarantees in life though!

14 hours ago, BLIKNS said:

Jordair Jett  Day, going into the Billiken Hall of Fame... 

Anthony Grant losing his , let's say patience...

Based on games at which I was physically present, this is #2.  Number 1 was Goodwin’s driving layup at the buzzer to take the 1/17/20 Dayton game into overtime.  Don’t think I’ve ever seen Chaifetz go as crazy as it did at that precise moment…place was packed….insane!

cgeldmacher likes this

With the talent some of his rosters have had it’s been mostly lowlights. Never beating a top 25 team, never winning an A10 reg season championship, some memorable collapses (blowing the lead against Auburn stands out), one and outs in the dance and 2 NITs, and the dagger to the heart loss at home to SIUE with what was supposed to be one of SLU’s best ever teams. 
Hate to be negative, but being honest, there’s no denying his tenure here has been one big disappointment. One A10 tourney championship doesn’t outweigh all the failed expectations. 

Beating k state in KC was fun and probably my highlight. Gibson had just been declared out right?  Beating Providence in Maryland even though we got destroyed by Miami. Beating Dayton when grant and jordair went at it. Yuri 20 or however assists. Goodwin. (he deserved something notable but he never really got the chance). 

Sure I'm missing some.

There was some good times at bills games in the last few years.

The 2019-20 season was under-rated. We were red-hot down the stretch winning the last five games of the season, including blow out wins over VCU and Bonaventure - destroyed them 72-49 on the final game of the season, also had wins over URI and Mason on the road during that stretch. We had a NET ranking of 47 and were considered on the NCAA bubble. Conventional wisdom was win the opening round of the conference tourney, we likely get an at-large bid, win the first two and it's a lock. But in very SLU fashion, the season was shut down right before the start of the conference tournament.

That team was fun to watch, Got a bad break with Gibby going down early in the season, but Perk was really coming into his own late in the season and was on fire.

Gremio14, SLU-Geo and David King like this

A few nice non-con wins: At Seton Hall (probably still the best individual win of any Ford team), At Home against Butler, VA Tech at the Garden, LSU at Chaifetz in the Cam Thomas vs. Perkins duel, At Boise St. in Overtime.

Rhode Island road game late in the ‘20 season where Jimmy “The Locomotive” Bell hit a big shot late and had his best game overall. Reading the Providence paper the next morning I saw an article about the spread of covid in other places than NYC. When I read that a case had been detected in Raleigh, NC I knew then that the country was in trouble, just didn’t realize how bad it would be.

A lot of mediocrity.

It was a far cry from how i felt after the Columbus, and the surprises fall flat after the 2000 Miracle in Memphis; in which we defeated the #1 team in the country to advance to the tournament.

Travis Ford has had too many years and too few highlights.

SLU-Geo likes this