GDT: @ George Mason.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

The only thing I give ford credit for is blowing a 16 point lead.  Walking the ball down the floor again, running the shot clock down.   We are lucky to escape with a win.  

The old “all the bad stuff that happens is the coaches fault but he plays no roll in the good stuff.” 

This is a “sports open line” classic!

This argument was heard all year long when LaRussa was the Cards manager. It’s also used a lot by Monday morning quarterbacks.

This is the first time I’ve heard it used with basketball.

cgeldmacher and Soderball like this

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

The foul discrepancy is huge.  Again with guys grabbing Jimerson all over the court.  Gutsy win but another blown big lead late second half.  Maybe this team is better than I thought.  I’ll take the win and run.

Our team was deep and that is why they can be competitive with losing their best offensive player.

Most mid size schools could not endure losing their best player this team has so far.

wgstl likes this

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

If we run without our two centers we lose by 10 in regulation. Y’all are embarrassing

Who said a damn thing about running?  The only thing I want to run is our offense, not sit on our ass and run clock down for a pick and roll the last 8 seconds.  What’s embarrassing about that?  

Losing games you should win because you turtle up into your shell is embarrassing.  

Just now, dlarry said:

The old “it’s the coaches fault all the bad stuff happens but he plays no roll in the good stuff.” 

This is a “sports open line” classic!

This argument was heard all year long when LaRussa was the Cards manager. It’s also used a lot by Monday morning quarterbacks.

This is the first time I’ve heard it used with basketball.

What fans do not understand is that a mid size school lost their best player and remained more than just competitive but still has a chance to win the A10.

Coach Ford gets the credit for getting this team once again to be in contention to win the A10 without his best player.

Francis Okoro was not supposed to be a scorer, now Okoro is a scorer under Ford.

5 minutes ago, TRN said:

Who said a damn thing about running?  The only thing I want to run is our offense, not sit on our ass and run clock down for a pick and roll the last 8 seconds.  What’s embarrassing about that?  

Losing games you should win because you turtle up into your shell is embarrassing.  

Coach helps dictate the tempo, he cannot be responsible - at least all the time- with shot selection. That was our problem when we slowed it down.  you’re a D1 player, you know if the shot you’re taking is a good one or not, c’mon.

16 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Coach helps dictate the tempo, he cannot be responsible - at least all the time- with shot selection. That was our problem when we slowed it down.  you’re a D1 player, you know if the shot you’re taking is a good one or not, c’mon.

I agree with you and in full disclosure I did not listen to or see the game so my comment is meant to be general in nature.  However, it is hard to make a good decision about shot selection when all you have is 8 seconds left on the clock.  Also, this basically  only requires the defense to play defense for 8 seconds.  As I said this comment is not about tonight but for whatever the reason this team does not handle the slow down bit well in a general sense.

TRN likes this

6 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I agree with you and in full disclosure I did not listen to or see the game so my comment is meant to be general in nature.  However, it is hard to make a good decision about shot selection when all you have is 8 seconds left on the clock.  Also, this basically  only requires the defense to play defense for 8 seconds.  As I said this comment is not about tonight but for whatever the reason this team does not handle the slow down bit well in a general sense.

I’m speaking on shot selection since we went into foul trouble with something like 10 min left in 2nd half. That’s when we started throwing up stupid shots. 

cheeseman likes this

3 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Play of the game.  

you can all say I’m a troll but I’m raising a big glass to the boys tonight. Ford is an idiot but man Yuri wanted this 

Fred had the top 2 play of the night outside of yuris game winner. That traore block tho was up there

Y'all are rediculous. Well done bills and Ford. Made some good decisions including putting Fred on Oduro that won us that game. Don't like our end of possession play calls but putting Yuri on the ball and letting him make decisions isn't the worst idea. Can't wait for Saturday

I really liked ford’s rotations in the first half.  I think it was the difference between us being tired and them being exhausted in the OTs.  Having other ball handlers in certain spots besides yuri so he could finish strong.

i really liked Yuri’s game.

I really liked the rest of the team’s grit. Nesbit, thatch, etc.

I really DISliked the oxygen in the lungs of the referees.

dayton looks like they got it going.. round 2 this weekend!

Old guy likes this

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Go 2 for 1 here

This is why I sometimes question The Coach. :47 left in first OT, Bills coming out of a timeout, tie game. Get a shot off in 10-12 seconds and get the ball back. Tomfoolery ensues, Bills turn it over at the :27 second mark. Bills make the stop and all’s well that ends well, I suppose, but the clock management was beyond terrible. 

Stating the obvious These last 2 wins were huge. 2 biggest wins of the year, quite possibly the last few years. Feel like we just needed that first convincing conference road win to break up the “yips”, get us over the hump, and give us some much needed confidence and momentum for the rest of the year. Once we got that that first dominating road win in Pittsburgh the gritty, close road wins would follow. Let’s keep it going at home on Saturday. Hopefully Dayton has their guard down after tonight’s absolute drubbing of VCU in Richmond. 

Probably have the quad rankings wrong but with Dayton’s win that will move them up into top 75 NET (currently net 76) and into a quad 2 game on Saturday (Home vs 31-75). 

1 hour ago, TRN said:

It is what every sane college coach does at the end of a game when you’re up.  Our players just haven’t always executed it.  When the right strategy doesn’t work one game, you don’t just throw that basic basketball strategy out the window.  That’s like an NFL coach getting burned when running the prevent defense once and then deciding to never use it again.