GDT: @ George Mason.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Bills By 40 said:

Hargrove get right game?? I called it after his oop from Yuri late in the game Saturday. 

Theory: He's been struggling because he observes Dry January. February hits and he'll be WET again. 

Interesting note from Verbal Commits ---- this morning 4-star forward Justyn Fernandez was listed as having been enrolled in school and added to the roster for Mason.  This was supposedly a huge get for Kim English when first announced.  He's a 6'5" forward coming out of IMG Academy in Florida.  Doubt he can enroll and play any significant minutes tongiht but you never know (said Joaquin Andujar).

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

Interesting note from Verbal Commits ---- this morning 4-star forward Justyn Fernandez was listed as having been enrolled in school and added to the roster for Mason.  This was supposedly a huge get for Kim English when first announced.  He's a 6'5" forward coming out of IMG Academy in Florida.  Doubt he can enroll and play any significant minutes tongiht but you never know (said Joaquin Andujar).

Mason fans confirmed he won't be playing, so take that FWIW

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The plan is that he’s only going to practice. 

Toiday's other A10 games include La Salle (+1) at Geedubya, Rhode Island (-4.5) at Fordham, and Dayton (+4.5) at VCU.  Mason currently (-1 hosting us.  

At this point, the La Salle game is immateiral.  Those are PIG level teams.  Going to root for Fordham; taking a potential contender for a top four slot down a notch is always a good thing.  And I'm going to root for VCU.  They are currently tied with Dayton at 6 and 2 but a Dayton loss there, plus another on Saturday, will drop them down a good few notches.  And it wold  make our head-to-head with VCU much more appealing come March.  Plus it's at our place.  Such a result bodes well for a three team race between us, Davidson and VCU. 

But MUST take care of business tonight.

ESIT:  Thanks on the Fernandez news.

-is this Fernandez deal at Mason sort of like the high school football player who enrolls in January to get in college spring practice? according to Mason's academic calendar this past Monday(Jan 31) was the last day to add classes so perhaps this is a couple of days old or it is going on the UNC academic program path

-does this semester count as a year of his eligibility? according to the above he is on the roster, the photo shows he is getting benefits so I'm not sure why it wouldn't, but then again, what are the rules?

3 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-is this Fernandez deal at Mason sort of like the high school football player who enrolls in January to get in college spring practice? according to Mason's academic calendar this past Monday(Jan 31) was the last day to add classes so perhaps this is a couple of days old or it is going on the UNC academic program path

-does this semester count as a year of his eligibility? according to the above he is on the roster, the photo shows he is getting benefits so I'm not sure why it wouldn't, but then again, what are the rules?

They can redshirt him if he doesn’t play and he won’t lose eligibility.  If they sit him for this semester, it could be a sign that English plans to stay for a while at Mason.

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

What benefits besides a sweatshirt does the photo show?  You can buy a shirt on line.

I doubt if he is cashing on in an NIL deal for this semester (from George Mason?? No way) but you never know.  I think you nailed it with practice, and getting a start on his college education.

The Portal simply makes any forward looking discussions moot.  But if current rosters stay in tack, there are a bunch of Atlantic 10 teams that will be pretty good next year. 

This is a big one. If we defend and rebound, we'll win. Schwartz is lethal, but he doesn't like to get his hands dirty/grind it out. I enjoy my occasional late-night Pac12 hoops, so I've watched him over the years at Colorado. I knew he was a great get in the portal, but he's always struggled with physical teams. Let's get after it, gentlemen. 

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

This game is not the sure fire W I predicted in Sept. "it's going to be a dogfight," so says Captain Obvious. Probably s 4 scotch game. Ooops make that Bourbon. I've been switching back and forth lately. 

It's good to have a balanced diet.

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

This game is not the sure fire W I predicted in Sept. "it's going to be a dogfight," so says Captain Obvious. Probably s 4 scotch game. Ooops make that Bourbon. I've been switching back and forth lately. 

If the price of scotch is an issue, and with bourbon prices going up as well, may I suggest you try "High West American Prairie." This is a 92 proof bourbon made in Park City Utah, of all places. Since no one ever thought Utah would produce bourbon, it is not expensive (around $30). It is a smooth (not biting on your tongue) bourbon with good flavor, drinks easily. Try it out and see.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

If the price of scotch is an issue, and with bourbon prices going up as well, may I suggest you try "High West American Prairie." This is a 92 proof bourbon made in Park City Utah, of all places. Since no one ever thought Utah would produce bourbon, it is not expensive (around $30). It is a smooth (not biting on your tongue) bourbon with good flavor, drinks easily. Try it out and see.

I wonder where they get their corn from. If it's a locally sourced mash, does it have a high barley content? Inquiring minds want to know.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Just spend the extra $10 and get a Four Roses Single Barrel or Russell’s Reserve 10 Year. 

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

I’m looking at this game to see if they have turned the corner or have been feasting on crap teams.

I’m excited to find out!

As Wiz mentioned in his write up, they don’t defend the 3 well.  We should have some good looks and we’ve been shooting it well of late.

They have little to no bench.  To quote billikenroy we need to use our athletes in this one.  I want to see us running.

REBOUND!

This is a big game.