Former Billikens Updates

thetorch

Yuri is officially on the warriors roster for a couple days.  He will be cut but the warriors will have the ability to have first right to him on their g league team.  He's not getting an exhibit 10 contract like Goodwin did his first year.  He will have to make the g league team.  Once I know the full roster for the g league team I will write a more comprehensive post on his pro chances.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<Once I know the full roster for the g league team I will write a more comprehensive post on his pro chances.>

thanks butif it gets that far I think we can ascertain on our own.

I am amazed that JG has done this well, but will be flabbergasted if Yurimania goes farther than JB went few years back. might make folks think something in The Lou water.

40 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

Assume this is a G League deal. Great news for Yuri!

HANG ON.  Didn't our resident Troll post that Yuri was transferring to Kansas State U?

The news is discussed in the link. 

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/10/warriors-to-sign-javonte-green-yuri-collins-waive-three-others.html

I think it's interesting how some outlets are listing Yuri at 6'0 while the NBA dot com news article lists him at 5'11

During the 2022-23 NBA season, only 4 players listed (by NBA dot com) as under 6ft appeared in a regular season game and between the four of them combined for 72 appearances.

Glass half empty: Yuri has 2 major strikes against him in that he can't shoot from long range and he's under 6ft

Glass half full: If any organization can teach Yuri to shoot, it's the Warriors. If any organization can get Yuri's head straight in terms of where he is and where he needs to be, it's the organization w/ 2 all time PGs on their roster (Curry, Paul).

If he can develop skills in the G-League he couldn't at SLU and embrace his role the way Goodwin and Willie did, he could very well find some time on the NBA roster given that the Warriors will surely be load balancing their aging HOF point guards 

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

I think it's interesting how some outlets are listing Yuri at 6'0 while the NBA dot com news article lists him at 5'11

During the 2022-23 NBA season, only 4 players listed (by NBA dot com) as under 6ft appeared in a regular season game and between the four of them combined for 72 appearances.

Glass half empty: Yuri has 2 major strikes against him in that he can't shoot from long range and he's under 6ft

Glass half full: If any organization can teach Yuri to shoot, it's the Warriors. If any organization can get Yuri's head straight in terms of where he is and where he needs to be, it's the organization w/ 2 all time PGs on their roster (Curry, Paul).

If he can develop skills in the G-League he couldn't at SLU and embrace his role the way Goodwin and Willie did, he could very well find some time on the NBA roster given that the Warriors will surely be load balancing their aging HOF point guards 

I’d say there is a > 1% chance Yuri is ever spelling Steph Curry or Chris Paul at any point in his career.

I’m hoping he gets half of what Goodwin got out of the G-League and can ultimately make a career out of playing ball.

What Goodwin did wasn’t normal

SLU_Lax and almaman like this

Goodwin is just an absolute dog. One of those guys you can put on any team and no matter how talented the team is, he will find a role and produce. Just so damn competitive and tough. And he clearly has worked his tail off developing his game, so I don’t want the first few lines to be seen as implying he is merely a junkyard dog, the guy is a player. So proud to see what he has done, dude earned it.

8 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Goodwin is just an absolute dog. One of those guys you can put on any team and no matter how talented the team is, he will find a role and produce. Just so damn competitive and tough. And he clearly has worked his tail off developing his game, so I don’t want the first few lines to be seen as implying he is merely a junkyard dog, the guy is a player. So proud to see what he has done, dude earned it.

+10000

This is a nice piece explaining the value he brings.  With a Suns team loaded with scoring, his path to getting on the court is defending and effort.  Beat calls him “maybe the best perimeter defender the team has already”.  Had 8 rebounds, 6 steals, and a block across 20 minutes the other night.

He’ll be drawing Ja Morant and Steph Curry assignments night in and night out.  Gonna be a blast

https://t.co/1QFK5eKkUq

1 hour ago, Fraz said:

+10000

This is a nice piece explaining the value he brings.  With a Suns team loaded with scoring, his path to getting on the court is defending and effort.  Beat calls him “maybe the best perimeter defender the team has already”.  Had 8 rebounds, 6 steals, and a block across 20 minutes the other night.

He’ll be drawing Ja Morant and Steph Curry assignments night in and night out.  Gonna be a blast

https://t.co/1QFK5eKkUq

seems like Suns r on the tube lot more than the Wizards, & lot's of games will be later so won't interfere with watching Team Blue as often.

billiken_roy likes this

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/10/warriors-cut-yuri-collins.html

Per this article, the plan is for Yuri Collins to report to training camp with the Santa Cruz Warriors, the Golden State Warriors' G-League team.

Ms. BAB and yours truly are planning to go see Yuri play in Santa Cruz, which depending upon traffic is only 1:15 to 1:30 max away.  Santa Cruz is a beach city with a Boardwalk amusement park right on the Pacific Ocean.  He will be coached in Santa Cruz by Nick Kerr, GSW Coach Steve Kerr's son.

almaman likes this

And as noted above, Jordan Goodwin just played Tuesday night for the Phoenix Suns at the Chase Center in San Francisco against the Golden State Warriors.  I watched the 4th Quarter.  Goodwin played the first 6 minutes of the 4th Quarter.  The Suns eked out a close win, 108-104, as often happens in the Association, at crunch time. Ian Eagle was the PBP announcer on TNT.  He has experience covering Jordan, was the CBS PBP announcer when SLU slayed the Bonnies in Brooklyn to win the A10 Tourney in '19.

PHX plays at the LA Lakers tonight at 7:00 Pacific, 9:00 Central, on TNT.  Lakers are a 6 point favorite, o226.5.  What great exposure this is for Jordan Goodwin and for SLU.  Bravo!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, Rashad Williams leads the UAPB Golden Lions to the win. He found the right level to play at and can fire away at will. Nice move for the game-winner by the way.

On 11/14/2023 at 7:22 PM, Taj79 said:

How is that guy still playing?

I’m with you, Taj.  The bio provided on Rashad when he was on our team states he had played one year at Cleveland State and two at Oakland. Then he had the year with us. Now he is in his 2nd year at UAPB.  That makes 6 years.  On 4 teams. ????

27 minutes ago, Quickdraw said:

I’m with you, Taj.  The bio provided on Rashad when he was on our team states he had played one year at Cleveland State and two at Oakland. Then he had the year with us. Now he is in his 2nd year at UAPB.  That makes 6 years.  On 4 teams. ????

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4399106/rashad-williams

This is Williams’ stats page on ESPN. One of the seasons he was at Oakland likely didn’t count toward eligibility (covid year). It doesn’t look like he played last season at UAPB. Not sure if that was due to injury or didn’t get a waiver. So basically he’s using his 5th year (covid year) of eligibility this year.