Former Billikens Updates

thetorch

I was wondering which of our former players still playing (or eligible to play) in the college ranks might be looking pretty useful for us right now so I decided to see what they're up to. I know most of these won't be "news" to most of you but wanted to put them all in the same spot, regardless. Anyway, bottom line is quite a few of them would be nice to have around right now:

• Jimmy Bell, Jr.: Averaging 10.0 PPG, 9.5 RPG, and 1.5 BPG for Mississippi State, which is ranked for the second week in a row. He averaged about 5 and 5 for West Virginia last season.
  • Lassina Traore: Averaging 10.8 PPG and 9.6 RPG for Long Beach State. His numbers are actually down from last season, when he averaged 12.9 and 10.5.
  • Andre Lorentsson: Averaging 6.7 PPG and 2.2 RPG for Toledo and getting more than double the minutes he got last season.
  • Markhi Strickland: Averaging 4.7 PPG and 2.7 RPG for Western Michigan after spending last year in the JUCO ranks.
  • Jordan Nesbitt: Currently sitting out due to "eligibility concerns" due to "previous issues that had been uncovered" in the NCAA's recertification process, likely from before he was at Hampton (probably at Memphis). Hampton's head coach said he is expected back soon. He's listed as a junior and averaged 14.9 PPG, 6.3 RPG, and 3.3 APG last season.
  • Daniel Rivera: Averaging 10.0 PPG, 7.1 RPG, and 2.0 APG for Bryant. His dunk last night against lower-division Springfield made the SportsCenter Top Ten.
  • Phillip Russell: Sitting out this season at UT-Arlington after averaging 18.1 PPG, 5.1 APG, and 2.9 RPG last season at SEMO. He was not ruled immediately eligible due to his two-time transfer status.
  • Rashad Williams: Averaging 18.1 PPG, 2.6 RPG, 4.1 APG and 3.3 TOs for Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
  • Momo Cisse: Averaging 5.7 and 5.7 at Trinity Valley CC in Texas.
  • Nick Kramer: Has not played yet this season for Missouri State.
  • Madani Diarra: Appears to be done with basketball. Appeared in 9 games at Bowling Green last season. After SLU, he played one year at Eastern Illinois and one at Indian Hills CC before going to BGSU. He would've had another year this season.
  • Carte'Are Gordon: Appears to be awaiting trial on charges stemming from an incident in March in which he and three other men forcibly entered a Grambling State dorm room while armed. Before the incident, Gordon was averaging 12.7 PPG and 7.0 RPG and had Grambling looking like a favorite to win the SWAC and possibly get its first ever NCAA Tournament appearance.

Edit: Added Rashad Williams.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:
  • Phillip Russell: Sitting out this season at UT-Arlington after averaging 18.1 PPG, 5.1 APG, and 2.9 RPG last season at SEMO. He was not ruled immediately eligible due to his two-time transfer status.
  •  

He also led the country in technical fouls last year. Him and Sincere would make a hellacious backcourt duo for referees! 

Pistol likes this

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I was wondering which of our former players still playing (or eligible to play) in the college ranks might be looking pretty useful for us right now so I decided to see what they're up to. I know most of these won't be "news" to most of you but wanted to put them all in the same spot, regardless. Anyway, bottom line is quite a few of them would be nice to have around right now:

• Jimmy Bell, Jr.: Averaging 10.0 PPG, 9.5 RPG, and 1.5 BPG for Mississippi State, which is ranked for the second week in a row. He averaged about 5 and 5 for West Virginia last season.
  • Lassina Traore: Averaging 10.8 PPG and 9.6 RPG for Long Beach State. His numbers are actually down from last season, when he averaged 12.9 and 10.5.
  • Andre Lorentsson: Averaging 6.7 PPG and 2.2 RPG for Toledo and getting more than double the minutes he got last season.
  • Markhi Strickland: Averaging 4.7 PPG and 2.7 RPG for Western Michigan after spending last year in the JUCO ranks.
  • Jordan Nesbitt: Currently sitting out due to "eligibility concerns" due to "previous issues that had been uncovered" in the NCAA's recertification process, likely from before he was at Hampton (probably at Memphis). Hampton's head coach said he is expected back soon. He's listed as a junior and averaged 14.9 PPG, 6.3 RPG, and 3.3 APG last season.
  • Daniel Rivera: Averaging 10.0 PPG, 7.1 RPG, and 2.0 APG for Bryant. His dunk last night against lower-division Springfield made the SportsCenter Top Ten.
  • Madani Diarra: Appears to be done with basketball. Appeared in 9 games at Bowling Green last season. After SLU, he played one year at Eastern Illinois and one at Indian Hills CC before going to BGSU. He would've had another year this season.
  • Carte'Are Gordon: Appears to be awaiting trial on charges stemming from an incident in March in which he and three other men forcibly entered a Grambling State dorm room while armed. Before the incident, Gordon was averaging 12.7 PPG and 7.0 RPG and had Grambling looking like a favorite to win the SWAC and possibly get its first ever NCAA Tournament appearance.

just shaking my head on Gordon..........beyond sad to see that talent wasted.   

5 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-great info, thanks

-as far as who would help you put them at the top with Jimmy Bell and Traore 

-are we certain of the reason Jimmy left SLU?

Bell, Traore, and I think you could make a case for Nesbitt, Russell, and Rivera. I fully understand that each player had different circumstances around their respective departures, but just as players those are guys I would have liked to keep on the roster.

Lorentsson, Strickland, and Cisse look like they would've been deep rotation players. I still think Cisse is a little intriguing as a long-term prospect but I don't think teams are willing to be as patient as they once could be.

Diarra never panned out. I'm not sure why Kramer isn't playing this season at Missouri State - I'm curious to see him play in the Valley.

I don't know for sure on Bell but it seems like both sides wanted him to stay at the time and couldn't do it. My guess is academic, given that he went to a juco as a third-year player. Wish he would've (or could've?) come back to SLU after that, though.

I understand the wishful thinking on Jimmy Bell & it is fun to speculate what might have been.  IMO even if he had stayed (or was able to stay) at SLU instead of going to JUCO for a year, I kind of doubt he'd still be around at this point.  Last season would have then been his 4th year at SLU & we're talking about a guy who has now played at 4 different schools in 5 years.  I expect we would've lost him as  a grad transfer (if not earlier) regardless of the JUCO stop.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Rashad Williams is at Arkansas Pine Bluff: Averaging 18.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 4.1 apg and 3.3 TOs.  Numbers are inflated by 3 games vs non-D1 opponents.  Still chucking plenty of 3s (nearly 8 per game & making over 40%), but has diversified his offensive game a bit and is taking over 7 2pt FGs per game as well.  He's essentially the same player as always - volume shooter/scorer who can thrive at a lower level, but doesn't fit a role on a good team.

7 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Rashad Williams is at Arkansas Pine Bluff: Averaging 18.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 4.1 apg and 3.3 TOs.  Numbers are inflated by 3 games vs non-D1 opponents.  Still chucking plenty of 3s (nearly 8 per game & making over 40%), but has diversified his offensive game a bit and is taking over 7 2pt FGs per game as well.  He's essentially the same player as always - volume shooter/scorer who can thrive at a lower level, but doesn't fit a role on a good team.

I knew I forgot one. Thanks.

All you had to do was look at Jimmy play his sophomore year, he was in terrible shape. Linnsen came in and was a much better player, and passed him by on the depth chart. Add to that, rumored academic issues - it's not surprising he left, but kudos to Jimmy for making good use of his time and getting his act back together. academically and physically

billiken_roy likes this

46 minutes ago, ACE said:

All you had to do was look at Jimmy play his sophomore year, he was in terrible shape. Linnsen came in and was a much better player, and passed him by on the depth chart. Add to that, rumored academic issues - it's not surprising he left, but kudos to Jimmy for making good use of his time and getting his act back together. academically and physically

-Huggins was able to get something out of Jimmy that was not gotten out of him with us

13 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-Huggins was able to get something out of Jimmy that was not gotten out of him with us

Jimmy was very solid as a freshman for us, as a sophomore, he returned with weight problems and apparently academic problems. Good for him for bouncing back from adversity.

26 minutes ago, Young Charles said:

Someone needs to call Conklin and get him working with Bruce day in and day out.  

im not worried about bruce's movements and position play.   bruce needs to spend time working on his body and fitness more than anything imo.

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

im not worried about bruce's movements and position play.   bruce needs to spend time working on his body and fitness more than anything imo.

His movements will get better as he gets stronger.

What worries me is his improvement on footwork and other fundamentals(blocking out, etc.) ... i haven't seen our big men improve on the fundamentals, that's on the whole coaching staff.

5 minutes ago, Soderball said:

His movements will get better as he gets stronger.

What worries me is his improvement on footwork and other fundamentals(blocking out, etc.) ... i haven't seen our big men improve on the fundamentals, that's on the whole coaching staff.

actually my view is he tries to get the right position but gets pushed around and ends up wrong then.  again, he needs strength, endurance and exceleration 

5 hours ago, Box and Won said:

WAT

Want to get in a worse mood? Rivera had 12 points and 7 rebounds in Bryant's upset of then #10 and currently #13 FAU.  It has been 11 seasons since we beat a ranked opponent.  We haven't beaten a top 10 team on the road, like Bryant did, since we beat #3 Kentucky on March 2, 1964.

Bizziken likes this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

actually my view is he tries to get the right position but gets pushed around and ends up wrong then.  again, he needs strength, endurance and exceleration 

he's also just very awkward with the ball. He needs improved confidence and better ability to just deal with handling the ball, dribbling, etc.

The biggest problem Bruce has right now is that he will receive the ball and just drop it or have something else awful happen. Deer in the headlights stuff.

He's gotta play to get over that. There's noone else on this roster and Ford has to live with what he's assembled.

57 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Want to get in a worse mood? Rivera had 12 points and 7 rebounds in Bryant's upset of then #10 and currently #13 FAU.  It has been 11 seasons since we beat a ranked opponent.  We haven't beaten a top 10 team on the road, like Bryant did, since we beat #3 Kentucky on March 2, 1964.

Gees. Thanks man.