Former Billikens Updates

thetorch

I've made some unpopular posts lately but this will be the most unpopular.

French is a college graduate pro athlete.

He's played Pro ball for two seasons and both seasons have ended with injuries.

He's played pro ball for 6 months of the last 20 months and made at a minimum 80k for 6 months of work.  That is very conservative.

Evans, Jett, Conklin all had debilitating injuries that robbed them of prime playing years.  Evans couldn't play his first year out of college.  He was a part time trainer and janitor at a gym to make ends meet.  None of them asked for handouts.  Willie Reed got blackballed by the NBA, lost millions of dollars in contracts and lawsuits and is forced to play in the Baltic states to make ends meet.  Again no handouts.  Isabell has had multiple injuries, been just plain not paid by teams, cut over and over again.  Again no handouts.

With these significant injuries, which occurred weeks ago, French needs to contemplate retiring and getting a career in line with his degree.  Most Euro teams don't pay for rehab, it is part of the job.  The tradeoff is you play for short periods of time and make lots of money, comparatively, to the average person and it is all tax free.  A lot of Euro players have side gigs in sales or athletic training or play 2 seasons and not take summers off.  I feel bad that French's career may be over but appealing to Billikens fans for $15,000 is in poor taste at best.

I'm not telling you how to spend your money but if anyone has a few dollars to spare may I suggest contacting these organizations that are dear to my heart and make a real difference in the St. Louis community for people who need help.

Foster & Adoptive Care Coalition

St. Louis Area Foodbank

St. Louis Oasis Intergenerational Tutoring

Burns Recovered Midwest Children's Burn Camp

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, thetorch said:

He's played pro ball for 6 months of the last 20 months and made at a minimum 80k for 6 months of work.  That is very conservative.

I agree with all of your post but this is way, way over what he made. Dudes in the British league are making like $2500 a month. I am assuming similar in the Slovenian league that he played in. 

14 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I agree with all of your post but this is way, way over what he made. Dudes in the British league are making like $2500 a month. I am assuming similar in the Slovenian league that he played in. 

My buddy is an agent for overseas players and played overseas. These figures just aren't accurate.  The BBL has a 300k + salary cap with the top import players exempt from that figure. French was most likely exempt, if he wasn't he still had a 40k salary as a star. If he was making the minimum or anywhere close to that he needs a new agent.

10 hours ago, thetorch said:

My buddy is an agent for overseas players and played overseas. These figures just aren't accurate.  The BBL has a 300k + salary cap with the top import players exempt from that figure. French was most likely exempt, if he wasn't he still had a 40k salary as a star. If he was making the minimum or anywhere close to that he needs a new agent.

I believe that was changed a few years ago. The top 2 British players on each roster are exempt from that. Hasahn also wasn't a 'star' in that league. He probably made $2500 in USD a month, if that. But he gets housing paid for and lived in an English speaking country. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2023 at 6:18 PM, philliken said:

There’s a GoFundMe for Hasahn French to help make ends meet while he’s recovering from his knee injuries.

Its sad that pro players have to rely on help when injured. Hope he has a speedy recovery and can get back on the court.

Really makes you realize these guys aren’t rolling in it even when they go overseas.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/saint-louis-biliken-legend-hasahn-french?utm_medium=email&utm_source=product&utm_campaign=p_email%2B2300-co-team-welcome

Check out French's instagram. He's staying at a resort I'll never be able to afford. Looks like that gofundme really paid off.

JMM28 likes this

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cody Ellis retires from Basketball. Played a handful of seasons in the NBL, since then he's been a star in the Aussie minor leagues Warwhick Senators team. Ellis' father played for the Senators for 20 years and continues to coach and serve in the front office.

• 1 month later...