Mass Exiting?

1 hour ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Did you guys not watch this season? One of the worst defensive teams in all of college basketball!  Hughes will stay for obvious reasons.  I’d like to see Thames stay because he has the ability to be a really good college player under the right coach/system.  Not for sure about all the conjecture around Jimerson.. everyone else, we need some serious upgrades…

thames is hargrove 2.0.   hargrove took the majority of his college career to learn to play basketball.   always a fantastic athlete but the mistakes and learning curve for defense was hard.   thames seems to me to be the same way.   but if he has a big end to his career as hargrove did this year it would be worth it.   but count on it, he is going to drive us crazy for awhile before it clicks.   but man he has some outstanding moments this year.   the kid is a show just like hargrove was.  just got to fix the basketball stuff imo.  he got better as the season went along so give him a real coach that can actually teach, hard telling what he will turn into!

cgeldmacher likes this

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Parker, too, if he wants to but that appears to be in serious doubt.

where is everyone getting this?   i havent read or heard a thing that indicates he is going to leave SLU.   that said, one has to believe some strong run and gun offensive team is sure to come sniffing around.  but i havent heard any specifics.   

Thames, Ezewiro, and Parker are the only players this year that played >200min with a positive BPM that are eligible to return. 

Jimerson has exceeded this threshold every year in the past and barely missed this year, so he gets a pass. Curcic managed 0.4 while playing 178min, and Hargrove won’t be coming back. 

That’s our core and who I hope any new coach tries to retain. 

Agree that some others on the roster can develop and contribute down the road, but that’s where we are right now. Four above average returning players based on past performance. 

I’d like to keep Parker. He can’t/refused to defend but scorers like him don’t grow on trees. I’ll take the offensive skill and hope a new coach can get him to be serviceable on the defensive end. If he still won’t defend sit his ass on the bench. 

Thames and Hughes. You see flashes but the consistency isn’t there. Is that who they are or can a new coach channel what they have into being more consistent players. With the right coaching a lot of guys take a big jump from their sophomore to junior seasons 

We need a coach who can identity what they are and make a decision from there. 

SVB tough we need toughness 

BE not sure he has options he might be forced to stay. That’s fine.

Medley I liked him all year. I never expect much from Freshman bigs or point guards. He exceeded my expectations and I see him being a valuable member of any team. 
Ideally he is willing to come off the bench for a year and we upgrade with a final year PG.

12 hours ago, billikenbill said:

I’d keep Medley hoping to get an upgrade in the portal and he can be the backup as he was intended to be this year. SVB can stay because you always need a banger and the 5 extra fouls that comes with it. You can count on SVB to give 100% effort at all times. Which brings us to Eziwero because I’m not sure you’ll get the same thing. Just from observation, it looks like an adjustment to the attitude is in order.

I like Curcic’s fire and shooting but can’t see him being a starter at any point. Zhang is playing at the wrong level. He’s a low D-1 player, if that, more like D-2. Has a few post moves but just way too weak.

Definitely hope Thames and Hughes stay. Parker, too, if he wants to but that appears to be in serious doubt.

Every time Curcic got on the court we took the lead. I want him around. 

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

Every time Curcic got on the court we took the lead. I want him around. 

I could see him being a third guard getting 15-20 mpg who can make threes in rapid succession. Davidson always seems to have a player or players like that. Be nice if we had one.

slu72 and MusicCityBilliken like this

13 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

thames is hargrove 2.0.   hargrove took the majority of his college career to learn to play basketball.   always a fantastic athlete but the mistakes and learning curve for defense was hard.   thames seems to me to be the same way.   but if he has a big end to his career as hargrove did this year it would be worth it.   but count on it, he is going to drive us crazy for awhile before it clicks.   but man he has some outstanding moments this year.   the kid is a show just like hargrove was.  just got to fix the basketball stuff imo.  he got better as the season went along so give him a real coach that can actually teach, hard telling what he will turn into!

I get the Hargrove comparison from a pure athleticism perspective, but I see Thames as more technical, more refined.  More of a Nesbitt type - but much more unselfish and without the anger issues.  Too unselfish at times for certain…

I do know the staff widely regarded him as the player with the most upside..even more than Parker.

9 minutes ago, billikens747 said:

Best of luck to Sincere.

He wasn't coming back under Ford. A talented recruit with some off court issues that #teamblue couldn't save. The story of Ford's tenure. 

37 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Best of luck to Sincere.

He wasn't coming back under Ford. A talented recruit with some off court issues that #teamblue couldn't save. The story of Ford's tenure. 

The real question of Ford's tenure and Parker why did he keep Parker sitting on the bench instead of playing during his first year?

55 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The real question of Ford's tenure and Parker why did he keep Parker sitting on the bench instead of playing during his first year?

Did you read my post at all. Off the court stuff, practice antics kept him off the floor here. 

AGB91 likes this

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Wait...are you saying he was  "in sincere"?

My computer is telling me this joke has 100% chance of producing laughs, especially from the dads.

WWNTDTL: read Wiz's post

regardless, parker was the most exciting player at slu since larry hughes the elder imo.   i was really looking forward to him playing next year hopefully healthy.   good luck to sincere

Gremio14 and David King like this

Steph Van Bussell has more upside for a longer period of time- there are lots of 6 foot 3 players with better handles who could recognize teamates better than Parker. It did not seem to me the team plus and minus was as good with Parker on the floor. Does someone have those numbers- all I have is a gut feel

Parker with Ford was reminiscent of Claggett with Grawer-minutes limited because they 'couldn't defend'.  Spoon saw through that with Erwin; perhaps a new coach can convince Parker to stay and we can see what develops

I'm not as hot on Parker - injury prone this year. Unclear how well he will recover from surgery and so on after the offseason. Lot of unknowns there. Rumor is he was causing grief behind the scenes. He used up one of his years this year with little/no playing time & development... We can move on and find other guys who can score. Scorers are common in today's game, finding rebounding & defense is much harder with how many guys can shoot the 3 now.

AGB91 likes this