Tatum & Beal

Yesterday a tweet was made by a SLU Grad Asst on Ford's staff showing Jayson Tatum and Brad Beal performing drills at Simon Rec.  Goodwin was also there but noticeably not featured in the video.  The SLU grad asst typed in the location as  Saint Louis University.

Let me know if you think I'm entirely off base on this but...

Why are SLU staffers repping for NBA players who didn't play for SLU.  Why is it a big deal they are working out on our campus.  As a matter of fact why are they are on our campus?

Because they are St. Louis guys?  They aren't Saint Louis guys though.  This isn't the first time our current staff has used Tatum and Beal in our social media.  Why are they doing this?  This is a bad look for our school and program.  Neither of these guys wanted to come to SLU and play.  They are all about STL, but never Saint Louis University.  

For instance do you think Kyrie Irving works out at Rutgers and the staff there boasts about his presence?  He grew up a few miles from there?  Do you think Derrick Rose works out at DePaul when he goes home to Chicago and the Depaul staff is excited about his visit?  Kevin Durant grew up in Washington DC, just blocks from Georgetown.  You think the coaching staff there has Kevin Durant working out there?

I don't really have a problem with them using the campus, but why is the staff hyping up some connection with them?  It seems really bush league.

What does Tatum do for SLU?  Nothing.

What does Beal do for SLU?  Nothing.  Beal runs the preeminent AAU team in STL.  Is he sending kids SLU's way. No.  Is he even helping St. Louis kids that much?  Check out the rosters of BBE Elite the last few years.  Always featuring kids from outside the area.  The old St. Louis Eagles would maybe take one guy a year from outside STL.  The past couple years most of BBEs roster have been from other states.  There are several area programs who are pushing STL kids only and playing at just as a high a level as BBE.  What are our connections there doing?  Can we get an out of state 5 star that Beal recruits to come play for SLU?  No way.  Again Beal does nothing for the program.  He has no obligation to do so either.  Frankly its in his best interests probably not to but why is the staff so star struck with his presence here.

The bigger part of the insult is we have a real NBA player in Jordan Goodwin from our program.  Developed at SLU.  If we want to promote our NBA connections he should be front and center.  Not Beal and Tatum.  Who cares about them.  Beal has no connection to SLU whatsoever.  Tatum does but it didn't help when we were recruiting him.  Tatum gets treated like he actually played here.  Its silly.  

I'm not saying bar them from campus.  Ford has always said he wants St. Louis University to be the destination for St. Louis basketball.  Repping guys who didn't come to play here is not the way to go.  We want St. Louis, actually we need St. Louis kids to play for SLU, not go to Duke and play pickup games here in the offseason.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you said on Twitter thus didn’t read this whole thing, but I could go either way. I get your side, I also think it doesn’t hurt to post things to recruits  saying A status nba players come to campus to train. like that doesn’t hurt, at all. Ford sent Cian to hang out with Marcus smart cause Cian is a big Celtics fan- Marcus didn’t play here either.  I’d rather a 5stars/nba show love to slu in anyway shape or form yet not go here, than a 5star/nba go elsewhere and that’s the end of it 

Zink and pakapablo like this

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

Yesterday a tweet was made by a SLU Grad Asst on Ford's staff showing Jayson Tatum and Brad Beal performing drills at Simon Rec.  Goodwin was also there but noticeably not featured in the video.  The SLU grad asst typed in the location as  Saint Louis University.

Why are SLU staffers repping for NBA players who didn't play for SLU.  Why is it a big deal they are working out on our campus.  As a matter of fact why are they are on our campus?

Because they are St. Louis guys?  They aren't Saint Louis guys though.  This isn't the first time our current staff has used Tatum and Beal in our social media.  Why are they doing this?  This is a bad look for our school and program.  Neither of these guys wanted to come to SLU and play.  They are all about STL, but never Saint Louis University.  

For instance do you think Kyrie Irving works out at Rutgers and the staff there boasts about his presence?  He grew up a few miles from there?  Do you think Derrick Rose works out at DePaul when he goes home to Chicago and the Depaul staff is excited about his visit?  Kevin Durant grew up in Washington DC, just blocks from Georgetown.  You think the coaching staff there has Kevin Durant working out there?

I don't really have a problem with them using the campus, but why is the staff hyping up some connection with them?  It seems really bush league.

What does Beal do for SLU?  Nothing.  Beal runs the preeminent AAU team in STL.  Is he sending kids SLU's way. No.  Is he even helping St. Louis kids that much?  Check out the rosters of BBE Elite the last few years.  Always featuring kids from outside the area.  The old St. Louis Eagles would maybe take one guy a year from outside STL.  The past couple years most of BBEs roster have been from other states.  There are several area programs who are pushing STL kids only and playing at just as a high a level as BBE.  What are our connections there doing?  Can we get an out of state 5 star that Beal recruits to come play for SLU?  No way.  Again Beal does nothing for the program.  He has no obligation to do so either.  Frankly its in his best interests probably not to but why is the staff so star struck with his presence here.

The bigger part of the insult is we have a real NBA player in Jordan Goodwin from our program.  Developed at SLU.  If we want to promote our NBA connections he should be front and center.  Not Beal and Tatum.  Who cares about them.  Beal has no connection to SLU whatsoever.  Tatum does but it didn't help when we were recruiting him.  Tatum gets treated like he actually played here.  Its silly.  

I'm not saying bar them from campus.  Ford has always said he wants St. Louis University to be the destination for St. Louis basketball.  Repping guys who didn't come to play here is not the way to go.  We want St. Louis, actually we need St. Louis kids to play for SLU, not go to Duke and play pickup games here in the offseason.

Goodwin is right there in the background of the video. You got your most recent alum NBA player, practicing with two of the best in the league right now on your campus. It's not that serious. It's just cool they are playing hoops at the same place us regular alumni played hoops at. 

5 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Goodwin is right there in the background of the video. You got your most recent alum NBA player, practicing with two of the best in the league right now on your campus. It's not that serious. It's just cool they are playing hoops at the same place us regular alumni played hoops at. 

Torch is right - at the very least it was weird to cut the video right before our guy does the drill

billiken_roy likes this

In this NIL world, we are not going to sign 5 star recruits like Tatum or Beal. But the recruits that we can sign, will love the chance to meet them, work out with them and tell all of their friends about it. Many of the schools we are competing against can't offer that kind of opportunity. From a recruiting perspective, its a good thing. 

10 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

In this NIL world, we are not going to sign 5 star recruits like Tatum or Beal. But the recruits that we can sign, will love the chance to meet them, work out with them and tell all of their friends about it. Many of the schools we are competing against can't offer that kind of opportunity. From a recruiting perspective, its a good thing. 

why not?   

if we really had difference maker boosters or the BoT had some guts, they would use a that incredible endowment that is unrestricted and go buy the team, the coach, everything needed to be a top program.   if it is unrestricted, they can do whatever they want as long as it makes Saint Louis University better.   a great sports program will pay for itself in no time with increased booster donations, increased enrollment, etc.   look at georgetown before patrick ewing came to campus even though he obviously didnt qualify academically (as an they had to let him take exams privately untimed).   

we really dont need a great recruiter any more with this b.s. NiL nonsense.   we need bucks and willing to spend those bucks.

BilliesBy40 and slu72 like this

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

From a recruiting perspective it is meaningless, let’s be honest. Jordan Goodwin taking advantage of his opportunities with Washington and now Phoenix would not be. Hopefully next summer we will be showcasing a NBA champ and former Billiken being back on campus.

11 hours ago, thetorch said:

Making a big deal of something not worthy. Goodwin helped make arrangements so him and his guys could get some gym time together with Hanlen. Nothing wrong with that or the grad assistant's post.

I get your concern and I do agree at least high-light the actual SLU alumni.  If they did that no issue.  Not doing it is the equivalent of SPUMAC fans chanting "SEC-SEC" just trying to be good based on association.

26 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Not doing it is the equivalent of SPUMAC fans chanting "SEC-SEC" just trying to be good based on association.

That’s actually a request from the administration to remind those in the south that Mizzou is still a member and yes, remember to send us that $50 million check.

56 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

That’s actually a request from the administration to remind those in the south that Mizzou is still a member and yes, remember to send us that $50 million check.

Get some good coloring books for the football team. 

12 hours ago, thetorch said:

You’re making a big deal out of nothing. We’re talking about a Grad Assistant here,  not Ford himself or the official SLU account. And he didn’t even say anything about the players or try to tie it back to SLU basketball, all he did was share the video with the location. I have no issue with him posting about it, especially with Goodwin in the video. Frankly I think it’s dope to see guys with all-NBA selections playing on the same court that I used to play on, regardless of who posted about it. 

Side note: do you really hold it against Tatum for not choosing to play for Jim Crews?

HoosierPal likes this

Thank God Tatum went to Duke. If he came here, we would have had to endure probably 3 more years of Crews. I don’t see where it’s a bad thing having two of the NBA’s biggest names and SLU’s only NBA player at the Fetz. In fact, I think a lot of kids would want to hear from JGood as to how to beat the odds. 

34 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

If Tatum came here, I believe it would have changed our trajectory(which at the time Tatum would have been here, our trajectory was sharply downward). Seriously, no SLU fan should honestly be happy he didn't come to SLU. 

I cant agree with this.  Crews doesnt all of a sudden become a good coach.  You likely dont see Has and Jgood.  All this would do is delay everything a few years

27 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I cant agree with this.  Crews doesnt all of a sudden become a good coach.  You likely dont see Has and Jgood.  All this would do is delay everything a few years

He would have only been here one and done, anyway. Who care if it was under Crews, we get a really fun and good season and get bragging rights to Tatum and his stardom.

7 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

You’re making a big deal out of nothing. We’re talking about a Grad Assistant here,  not Ford himself or the official SLU account. And he didn’t even say anything about the players or try to tie it back to SLU basketball, all he did was share the video with the location. I have no issue with him posting about it, especially with Goodwin in the video. Frankly I think it’s dope to see guys with all-NBA selections playing on the same court that I used to play on, regardless of who posted about it. 

Side note: do you really hold it against Tatum for not choosing to play for Jim Crews?

This isn't about caring about whther Tatum came here or not.  It is about a university and a program promoting their program using players that never played here.  Its weak.  This is far from the first time Ford's staff has done something like this with Beal and Tatum.

59 minutes ago, thetorch said:

This isn't about caring about whther Tatum came here or not.  It is about a university and a program promoting their program using players that never played here.  Its weak.  This is far from the first time Ford's staff has done something like this with Beal and Tatum.

Sorry but I do see how having 2 NBA stars on your campus is a bad thing. Yes Jordan should have been center stage. 

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

A grad asst. sharing a video of two STL born and bred NBA superstars hooping at the Simon Rec, alongside a third STL born and bred NBA player, who did go to SLU, is objectively cool.

I’m not even sure how this qualifies as the university/program promoting anything (which SLU absolutely should do, because again, Beal and Tatum are both objectively awesome, and them being awesome on our campus is cool), but writing a 1000 word post claiming the opposite is certifiably insane 😂

When I say this is the dumbest non-issue of the summer, I think we know that is a big f-ing deal.  If a great local soccer or baseball payer dropped by the SLU campus, and was touted by anyone at the U, it would be the best day ever.  NBA-ers on campus cannot be a bad thing under almost any circumstances.  What the absolute F is wrong with this board?  

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

Delay what?  A coach you'd be ready to show the door to now instead of last year?

9 hours ago, slu72 said:

Thank God Tatum went to Duke. If he came here, we would have had to endure probably 3 more years of Crews. I don’t see where it’s a bad thing having two of the NBA’s biggest names and SLU’s only NBA player at the Fetz. In fact, I think a lot of kids would want to hear from JGood as to how to beat the odds. 

Well you're half right.....I guess that's something..........