Yuri Collins to.....Grad Transfer

33 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

This is just wrong all over. Drew Timme was an all american. Played for one of the top teams in the country. Had a GREAT year. Didn't get drafted. Oscar Tshiebwe had a great year. Played at THE college basketball program - Kentucky. Didn't get drafted. 

"Stepping up" isn't going to make Yuri Collins lead the nation in assists. It isn't going to make him grow 3 inches. It isn't going to make him a better prospect going back into the draft at age 23. All that you say could and did happen at a "mid major." 

Signing a 2 way deal or whatever deal with a GLeague team is his best path to pursuing his NBA dreams. No school and other crap to interfere with developing his skills. Professional level coaches that can develop talent. 

SLU is a major player in college basketball. Some folks in these parts have apparently forgotten that. Enough of this "we're not good enough, but we tried!" biddy basketball mindset bullsh!t. 

In case you haven’t been paying attention big men are no longer getting drafted. Been going on for a few years now. Those guys came back for the money. They started their professional careers in college, not in the G league. They made a lot of money, like Yuri could have. 
We are NOT a major player in college basketball. We are a mid-major. Get a clue. 

BigMouthBilliken likes this

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, DOC said:

In case you haven’t been paying attention big men are no longer getting drafted. Been going on for a few years now. Those guys came back for the money. They started their professional careers in college, not in the G league. They made a lot of money, like Yuri could have. 
We are NOT a major player in college basketball. We are a mid-major. Get a clue. 

You're obviously a SLU hater. Ridiculous take, all around. 

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

SLU is a major player in college basketball. Some folks in these parts have apparently forgotten that. Enough of this "we're not good enough, but we tried!" biddy basketball mindset bullsh!t. 

Disagree with this notion SLU is a major player in college basketball. The program could be a major player if it gets back on track and becomes a consistent fixture in the NCAA Tournament. But as it currently stands, it’s been 4 seasons since the Billikens danced, and the program only has made 2 appearances in the last 10 years. A big part of changing that is the mindset, which I completely agree with. Trying shouldn’t be equated with succeeding.

49 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Disagree with this notion SLU is a major player in college basketball. The program could be a major player if it gets back on track and becomes a consistent fixture in the NCAA Tournament. But as it currently stands, it’s been 4 seasons since the Billikens danced, and the program only has made 2 appearances in the last 10 years. A big part of changing that is the mindset, which I completely agree with. Trying shouldn’t be equated with succeeding.

and i am beginning to question the "trying" part of your above.  At least we should be asking "trying" to what degree or reasonable conclusion?

On 6/24/2023 at 7:59 AM, HoosierPal said:

I believe what Yuri was quoted as saying, not some rumor an MBM was pumping. 

A BIG GUARDS DREAM 🗯 24hrs to go… what if Yuri Collins uses his covid year in Manhattan KS & is joined by Wendell Green who must sit out due to NCAA transfer rules. After a successful season behind Marquis Nowell, K-State seems to be the place for Small Guards to play #WhatIf

·

Views

I'm absolutely shocked that Wendell Green has signed to play in the Summer League with the Cleveland Cavs rather than sign with K-State.

Golden State playing in the California Classis on ESPN at 10 Est. ( 9 central

Yuri with a little run time in the first half.  Had a steal, but also a turnover on a cross court one handed pass.  

not exactly groundbreaking info, but Yuri is no threat to score whatsoever, especially against next level competition.  Probably the main reason he will never play in the NBA

AGB91 likes this

27 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Yuri finished with 7 assists in 15 minutes. 

not exactly groundbreaking info, but Yuri is really good at passing the ball, even against next level competition. Probably the main reason he earned himself a try-out

He also scored 0 points. I’m pulling for him, but I think he needs to be able to score points in the NBA.

gobillsgo likes this

Being one dimensional in the NBA ain’t gonna cut it, unless your one dimension is putting the ball in the pail a lot. Jimerson might have a better shot at the NBA than Yurimania, but likely he won’t make it either. 

10 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

He also scored 0 points. I’m pulling for him, but I think he needs to be able to score points in the NBA.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Yuri is out there trying to show 30 teams why he's helpful to keep around the fringes. Whether Yuri makes five 3s in a game is irrelevant. The team will see him in practice every game. If nothing else, having a tough on-ball defender and a pass-first PG can help the mood around a "me-first" G-League team. A team might invest in Yuri, totally remake his shooting form to get his elbow away from his chest and aligned with his shoulder, and have a viable 13th or 15th man in a year or two. 

Point being, Yuri's not making a team in October. But he can still provide value and he showed why last night. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Yuri finished with 7 assists in 15 minutes. 

not exactly groundbreaking info, but Yuri is really good at passing the ball, even against next level competition. Probably the main reason he earned himself a try-out

😂 I’ve been a huge Yuri supporter throughout his career.  Not sure the shot at me is warranted.  Just pointing out you’re not gonna make the NBA shooting zero times. 

52 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Yuri is out there trying to show 30 teams why he's helpful to keep around the fringes. Whether Yuri makes five 3s in a game is irrelevant. The team will see him in practice every game. If nothing else, having a tough on-ball defender and a pass-first PG can help the mood around a "me-first" G-League team. A team might invest in Yuri, totally remake his shooting form to get his elbow away from his chest and aligned with his shoulder, and have a viable 13th or 15th man in a year or two. 

Point being, Yuri's not making a team in October. But he can still provide value and he showed why last night. 

Time will tell. I wish him well

37 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The Warriors Summer League team definitely played better, closed the deficit last night, when Yuri Collins was in the game and playing point guard. 

exactly, BAB. Again, nobody on the board is saying Yuri breaks camp with an NBA team. Not even Yuri is trying to prove he can score. He didn't even shoot. But he possesses one elite skill, shows some capacity for on the ball defense, and that might be enough to entice him into a G-League situation, or send him overseas to play in the right fit. 

There are a variety of ways one can be a "successful professional player." It was only one game, but it's clear what Yuri can bring to a professional basketball team. 

cgeldmacher likes this

6 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

I think we all have the same take on his chances, let's just enjoy. We surely weren't all saying JG making 7 figures in NBA was a given. when u make unreal passes to NBA players the 2' misses will go down considerably. 

I disagree with those questioning his lack of scoring.  Do you think the Warriors want rookies coming off the bench and taking shots that could be taken by Steph Curry, Klay Thompson or Jordan Poole?  Or would they maybe prefer someone who shows they don't need to "get their points," but instead are willing to do everything to make the stars they already have better?

Goodwin got to the league using his skill set, not the skill set that most people think is necessary.  I think Yuri can do the same thing.   Time will tell.

I've watched parts of both games that Yuri has played in for Golden State in Sacramento. I am not a fan of the NBA and I don't put as much analysis into them and their teams as I do with the Billikens but from what I saw in both games outside of fast break passing all Yuri did was hand off at the top of the key and go stand in the corner. I almost wanted to call this the Jimerson or the Hargrove treatment. It seemed to be pass the ball and get out of the way. His defender paid no nevermind to him. Ball rarely came back into his hands before some yokel on the team chucked one up from distance. Not impressed with the Summer League or anything about it.

8 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I disagree with those questioning his lack of scoring.  Do you think the Warriors want rookies coming off the bench and taking shots that could be taken by Steph Curry, Klay Thompson or Jordan Poole?  Or would they maybe prefer someone who shows they don't need to "get their points," but instead are willing to do everything to make the stars they already have better?

Goodwin got to the league using his skill set, not the skill set that most people think is necessary.  I think Yuri can do the same thing.   Time will tell.

I understand wanting to compare Yuri to Goodwin, but the similarities pretty much stop with them both going to SLU. Goodwin is 3-4 inches taller with a 6’10” wingspan. Those are major differences in a league filled with absolute freaks. Collins needs to become a 35-37% 3 point shooter to have a real chance. I’m not optimistic, but hope I’m proven wrong.