Yuri Collins to.....Grad Transfer

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So does KState know he is trying out for a pro team?  Our impeccable source was wrong?

Congrats Yuri. You and TJD will make a good pair. 

Curiously enough, the same thing happened to Kobe Bryant, rumors about him going to some school instead of staying in the draft. Kobe said he had turned off his twitter account, and had never heard of any of it. Lesson learned, just because some idiot tweets something on twitter, it doesn’t mean anything.  Actually, it never did.

‘Good luck to Yuri, he’s got his foot in the door

2 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Curiously enough, the same thing happened to Kobe Bryant, rumors about him going to some school instead of staying in the draft. Kobe said he had turned off his twitter account, and had never heard of any of it. Lesson learned, just because some idiot tweets something on twitter, it doesn’t mean anything.  Actually, it never did.

‘Good luck to Yuri, he’s got his foot in the door

A small prob with that story. Bryant was drafted in 1996. Twitter started about a decade later. But hey, I’m all in!

SLU_Nick likes this

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

A small prob with that story. Bryant was drafted in 1996. Twitter started about a decade later. But hey, I’m all in!

Well I screwed up. Sorry, Kobe Brown. Whatever kind of career Kobe Brown has, I will always think of Kobe Bryant when someone mentions Kobe and Basketball in the same sentence, or when I think of Kobe and basketball in the same thought.  RIP Kobe Bryant

HoosierPal likes this

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

So does KState know he is trying out for a pro team?  Our impeccable source was wrong?

Congrats Yuri. You and TJD will make a good pair. 

So you don’t think Yuri entertained the idea of playing one more year for a fat NIL deal? 

32 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I believe what Yuri was quoted as saying, not some rumor an MBM was pumping. 

Fair enough.

True or not I enjoy reading the rumors people hear and in this case there was definitely some smoke with the rumor. 

21 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Welcome to the Bay Area, Yuri❗

Dubs just traded for Chris Paul. Golden State's G-League team is 1:15, 1:30 to the south in Santa Cruz, beach town, surf city.

Don't know if Summer League will translate to G-League. My cousins all live in Santa Cruz. I was there in March and it was pointed out to me that some of the G-League guys were walking right past us while we were eating lunch. It's a beautiful place. 

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

Don't know if Summer League will translate to G-League. My cousins all live in Santa Cruz. I was there in March and it was pointed out to me that some of the G-League guys were walking right past us while we were eating lunch. It's a beautiful place. 

It doesn't.  But if he gets playing time and does well other teams will have the option of taking a shot on him.

4 hours ago, Coach314 said:

It doesn't.  But if he gets playing time and does well other teams will have the option of taking a shot on him.

Exactly. He’s auditioning for every NBA team, trying to get a G-League contract. He has his opportunity, he has to play well enough to convince someone to give him a chance at the G-League level.

It would seem foolish to pass up a lucrative one year deal when you don’t have a guaranteed contract with a G league team. He seemed pretty clear he didn’t want to go overseas so his options are limited. If your not on anyone’s radar now, why not step up a level and get a fat paycheck to prove you belong? 

billiken_roy and CenHudDude like this

5 hours ago, DOC said:

It would seem foolish to pass up a lucrative one year deal when you don’t have a guaranteed contract with a G league team. He seemed pretty clear he didn’t want to go overseas so his options are limited. If your not on anyone’s radar now, why not step up a level and get a fat paycheck to prove you belong? 

And yet he did. He stayed in the draft, but was not selected, so he signed a professional contract for the NBA summer league. But that ended his NCAA eligibility, he’s now a pro. Most likely reason for passing on some NIL deal (which would have reportedly paid more than he could get for the Summer League, or even a season in the G-League) is that the NIL deal was never real in the first place. The best info I could find on the Summer League is that it pays around $1500 or so.   He signed that deal, which makes him a pro. Good luck to him.

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Yuri signed up with the summer league rather than getting a fat NIL going back to college. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this decision. Yuri is doing what is best for Yuri.

O G points out Y Cs M O on/off court!?

It was time for SLU and Yuri to go separate ways. And there is no other school where he'd elevate his draft stock enough to make it worth it. Just get to the pros and see what happens. Although I think Yuri would have a long and lucrative overseas career and that would be the better approach, he will latch on to a G League team and have some success there too. 

gobillsgo and billiken_roy like this

55 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

It was time for SLU and Yuri to go separate ways. And there is no other school where he'd elevate his draft stock enough to make it worth it. Just get to the pros and see what happens. Although I think Yuri would have a long and lucrative overseas career and that would be the better approach, he will latch on to a G League team and have some success there too. 

Agreed.

Some of the best college basketball players in the country on blue-bloodish power programs didn't get drafted at all this year. Meanwhile Belmont and Santa Clara had guys drafted in Round 1. 

The "I need to go play at a Big## school to prove I belong" doesn't actually work. It hasn't for years. The NBA spends tens of millions of dollars to find dudes. They will certainly find any D1 player capable of playing in the NBA whether he is playing at Chicago State, SLU, Alabama A&M, or Duke. 

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

This is my take on pretty much any player who has been in college for 4 seasons and intends for basketball to be their career. As a fan of Yuri I would have been somewhat interested in seeing him compete in a better league, but that is just for me as a fan. For him, he wasn't going to materially change his professional opportunities in a 5th season of college basketball. He is what he is as a prospect at this point, he needed to start that journey.

47 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Agreed.

Some of the best college basketball players in the country on blue-bloodish power programs didn't get drafted at all this year. Meanwhile Belmont and Santa Clara had guys drafted in Round 1. 

The "I need to go play at a Big## school to prove I belong" doesn't actually work. It hasn't for years. The NBA spends tens of millions of dollars to find dudes. They will certainly find any D1 player capable of playing in the NBA whether he is playing at Chicago State, SLU, Alabama A&M, or Duke. 

You definitely don’t have to come from the power 6 to get drafted. That’s an obvious statement that everyone knows. But he not only didn’t get drafted, he wasn’t even close to being selected. So coming back here made no sense, but stepping up does. He could change their mindset quickly with a great year. That can’t happen at a mid major. Oh, and the 250k he can’t get outside the big boys. Ya, stepping up would have been a big deal. Now, he hopes to make 50k in the G league. Hopes. He can do what he wants, but don’t tell me he’s making a wise decision, if in fact, there was a lucrative deal out there. 

9 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

This is my take on pretty much any player who has been in college for 4 seasons and intends for basketball to be their career. As a fan of Yuri I would have been somewhat interested in seeing him compete in a better league, but that is just for me as a fan. For him, he wasn't going to materially change his professional opportunities in a 5th season of college basketball. He is what he is as a prospect at this point, he needed to start that journey.

I have to agree with this. He is who he is at this point and I don’t see him ever being drafted. My take is college basketball is now professional basketball. You now play for the money. Your professional career begins the minute you get cash to play basketball. The biggest paycheck of his career could possibly be next year at college.  He’s definitely taking the lowest paid route, which I find odd. 

21 minutes ago, DOC said:

I have to agree with this. He is who he is at this point and I don’t see him ever being drafted. My take is college basketball is now professional basketball. You now play for the money. Your professional career begins the minute you get cash to play basketball. The biggest paycheck of his career could possibly be next year at college.  He’s definitely taking the lowest paid route, which I find odd. 

I should have said NIL does add another factor to be considered since like you said there could have been some lucrative opportunities for him in college. That has certainly added another factor in the decision, but it doesn't change the fact that guys are unlikely to materially improve their professional prospects in a 5th season of college basketball and are then a year older.

48 minutes ago, DOC said:

You definitely don’t have to come from the power 6 to get drafted. That’s an obvious statement that everyone knows. But he not only didn’t get drafted, he wasn’t even close to being selected. So coming back here made no sense, but stepping up does. He could change their mindset quickly with a great year. That can’t happen at a mid major. Oh, and the 250k he can’t get outside the big boys. Ya, stepping up would have been a big deal. Now, he hopes to make 50k in the G league. Hopes. He can do what he wants, but don’t tell me he’s making a wise decision, if in fact, there was a lucrative deal out there. 

This is just wrong all over. Drew Timme was an all american. Played for one of the top teams in the country. Had a GREAT year. Didn't get drafted. Oscar Tshiebwe had a great year. Played at THE college basketball program - Kentucky. Didn't get drafted. 

"Stepping up" isn't going to make Yuri Collins lead the nation in assists. It isn't going to make him grow 3 inches. It isn't going to make him a better prospect going back into the draft at age 23. All that you say could and did happen at a "mid major." 

Signing a 2 way deal or whatever deal with a GLeague team is his best path to pursuing his NBA dreams. No school and other crap to interfere with developing his skills. Professional level coaches that can develop talent. 

SLU is a major player in college basketball. Some folks in these parts have apparently forgotten that. Enough of this "we're not good enough, but we tried!" biddy basketball mindset bullsh!t. 

28 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

This is just wrong all over. Drew Timme was an all american. Played for one of the top teams in the country. Had a GREAT year. Didn't get drafted. Oscar Tshiebwe had a great year. Played at THE college basketball program - Kentucky. Didn't get drafted. 

"Stepping up" isn't going to make Yuri Collins lead the nation in assists. It isn't going to make him grow 3 inches. It isn't going to make him a better prospect going back into the draft at age 23. All that you say could and did happen at a "mid major." 

Signing a 2 way deal or whatever deal with a GLeague team is his best path to pursuing his NBA dreams. No school and other crap to interfere with developing his skills. Professional level coaches that can develop talent. 

SLU is a major player in college basketball. Some folks in these parts have apparently forgotten that. Enough of this "we're not good enough, but we tried!" biddy basketball mindset bullsh!t. 

I know Timme and Tshiebwe are undersized but I have a hard time believing they can't help some team.