George Washington to stop using the name Colonials by the 23/24 season.....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope GW experiences some backlash against this.  I have a couple HS buddies who went to GW.  They are incensed.  No reason to change this inoffensive mascot.

This definitely seems silly and unnecessary. Who was asking for this? 

Having said that I hope they use this as an opportunity to come up with something really rad. 

Here are my definitive power rankings of types of mascots, GW please take notice:

1. Billikens

2. Other imaginary creatures or unique mascots with history, non-human (e.g. Jayhawk) 

3. Uncommon animals (e.g. Spiders, golden retrievers, kangaroos) 

4. Cool humans (e.g. Storm chaser) 

5. Boring humans (e.g. Colonials) 

6. The Same Animal Mascots Every Team Has (wildcats, bulldogs, rams) 

7. Literal slurs 

... There's a lot of room for improvement for them to move up in Rgbilliken's power rankings. The best they could do would be to become Billikens. But if I were them I'd settle for a cooler human mascot or an uncommon animal. 

20 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

This definitely seems silly and unnecessary. Who was asking for this? 

Having said that I hope they use this as an opportunity to come up with something really rad. 

Here are my definitive power rankings of types of mascots, GW please take notice:

1. Billikens

2. Other imaginary creatures or unique mascots with history, non-human (e.g. Jayhawk) 

3. Uncommon animals (e.g. Spiders, golden retrievers, kangaroos) 

4. Cool humans (e.g. Storm chaser) 

5. Boring humans (e.g. Colonials) 

6. The Same Animal Mascots Every Team Has (wildcats, bulldogs, rams) 

7. Literal slurs 

... There's a lot of room for improvement for them to move up in Rgbilliken's power rankings. The best they could do would be to become Billikens. But if I were them I'd settle for a cooler human mascot or an uncommon animal. 

Where would Boaty McBoatface fit on your list?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/22/world/europe/boaty-mcboatface-what-you-get-when-you-let-the-internet-decide.html

15 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I struggle with this. I feel like I need a couple additional categories but I can't figure out what they would be. Maybe 

A) inanimate objects (boaty mcboatface, spurs) 

B ) vibes/ideas (orange) 

C) weather events/geographical features (crimson tide, hurricanes, rockies) 

C is between 3 and 4 for me, A and B are sort of wildcards highly dependent on specific cases. Boaty mcboatface would be incredible. Spurs... Meh. 

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

pete maravich will have to change his nickname since it is a reference to violence. no more " bombing away" from well outside the three point line. no qb can have a rifle arm, it will never stop

Hard to believe Pistol Pete has been deceased for 34 years. Weird dude but a genius with the rock in his hands. Too bad he didn’t accept the ABA Cougars’ offer and went with Atlanta. Hindsight is 20-20 but signing with the Hawks was wrong place, wrong time for the Pistol.

2 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

Reddit says that the "hippos" are getting a lot of support from students because of a statue on campus. Which, while yes, complaining about "Colonials" being offensive is silly, "Hippos" is 100x a better mascot. And I would definitely buy a Hippos Hat

Can't wait for a softball pitcher or women's basketball center wearing Hippos across there chest. @rgbillikenis right, this is probably like a group of 5 WASPY trust fund slacktivists with nothing better to do.

18 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

Reddit says that the "hippos" are getting a lot of support from students because of a statue on campus. Which, while yes, complaining about "Colonials" being offensive is silly, "Hippos" is 100x a better mascot. And I would definitely buy a Hippos Hat

ClearcutIdenticalGermanspitz-size_restri

Hippos is offensive to people who can’t read.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Can't wait for a softball pitcher or women's basketball center wearing Hippos across there chest. @rgbillikenis right, this is probably like a group of 5 WASPY trust fund slacktivists with nothing better to do.

The first opposing program that plays this as they take the field/court, will attain hero status.

George Washington Athletic Department has recommended that all sporting events cease keeping score, that all events are deemed a tie at the end of regulation, and everyone gets a participation ribbon.  That way everyone leaves the arena/field with a happy face.

17 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

It's really hard not to see this ultra-woke nonsense.  How long can the Fighting Irish last......that's got to offend SOMEBODY!

I’ve always been offended by “Fighting Irish” Some of us are happy drunks.

The Billiken Freemasons connection is troubling. Also, SLU administration must, at least, define the Billiken’s pronouns!

BREAKING NEWS:

A coalition of women named Bonnie, lead by Bonnie Raitt and Bonnie Hunt, are suing St. Bonaventure to require them to eliminate the nickname "Bonnies", as it is, or could be, offensive and would either enhance or eliminate the chance that parents would call a new baby girl Bonnie.

15 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

EFCC4E3C-4EC2-439C-A52B-495B0BB741C9.jpeg

I hid a number of posts that contributed to stirring the pot.  But I kept the one above...because I chuckled.

I don't want to close this thread because it is of greater personal interest to me. So I hope the trolls don't come out from under their bridge again.