GDT: Senior Day vs VCU

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Brighton said:

And 1 NCAA Tournament appearance (which was done by a 6th seed).

If that isn’t underachieving, then I don’t know what is.

It's simply not fair or accurate to discuss his NCAA tournaments without mentioning the situation, 2 pandemic years, and what he inherited. Those facts are possibly the worst coaching luck in history. 

If you are judging mid-major coach's he scores very high in the most important metrics, recruiting and player development.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

If the foot issue is resolved, and he was in the arc, then I stand corrected.  My view of the replay was that he was outside of it but contsact pushed him in.  But I've been wrong before.  

This is what I saw as well, definitely a charge. If the goaltend in question was the Jimerson drive, it wasn’t goaltending. Replay clearly showed that. If there was another one then I missed it.

JNez’s two turnovers and the fact that our big lead was built with Jones on the court led to JNez’s reduced minutes. The take that we’re playing a team that forces lots of turnovers, and add to it that his turnovers were very sloppy and you can understand Ford’s reluctance to put him back in. 

51 minutes ago, Brighton said:

And 1 NCAA Tournament appearance (which was done by a 6th seed).

If that isn’t underachieving, then I don’t know what is.

This is Ford's sixth season at SLU.  Not counting this season since it is not over yet, he has had 4 opportunities to get to the Tourney since there was no tourney in 2019.  Throw out year 1, he had Crew's team, and he has made the Tourney 1 in 3 years. Damn good for a mid-major.  And we barely missed in both the other 2 years ...... SLU was in the conversation.  Ford is what this team needs NOW AND IN THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE.

27 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

FT took TJ’s starting role from him and FT, to me, has deservedly become a coach favorite. I would understand if TJ wanted more minutes next year. 

He gone. Totally stiffed Ford on a five yesterday and wouldn’t even look at him. Ford just shook his head. It’s unfortunate that it came to this as TJ made some pretty nice improvements to his game since first arriving at Slu and is a great teammate. That being said, if he’s looking for 30 min+ starting every game a league like the valley may be better for him. 

13 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

He gone. Totally stiffed Ford on a five yesterday and wouldn’t even look at him. Ford just shook his head. It’s unfortunate that it came to this as TJ made some pretty nice improvements to his game since first arriving at Slu and is a great teammate. That being said, if he’s looking for 30 min+ starting every game a league like the valley may be better for him. 

The Ohio Valley.

33 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

nm

9 hours ago, Taj79 said:

If we're not going to speculate on SLU transfers out (given today's immediate gratification sign known as the 'transfer portal') then we likely should not speculate on transfers in, right?  Love, Bradford, Kasubke, Reece, etc. have all been mentioned on here a few times.  But it is a MBM message board, right?  Open discussion.  

Video replays, especially in college, have always avoided the replay of controversial calls.  Or so it seems.  From what I saw on TV, the goaltending call was close, and I think it should have been reviewed.  The ball did hit the backboard and was redirected towards the goal so I saw goaltending.  I also thought the charge call was indeed a charge.  His feet were set and he was outside the restricted arc.  Same situation happened in the second half and Yuri got the call on Ward.  Beats the hell out of me how it's one thing one way and then another the next.  Problem with "showing what exactly took place" is that still doesn't seem to be the case.  All the ref reviews I've seen seem pretty cut and dried yet I get confimred maybe half the time.  So I must be blind, not them.  

While I am a big fan of "getting it right" I am not a big fan of this maddening trot to the scorers' desk to review every little bump and bruise.  What happened to Linssen?  He needed stitches.  I don't recall the play that happened on but how do you not get a review for blood?  Or did it happen and I just missed it?

On the goaltending the official told Travis from across the court that he would review the call at a timeout.  That he couldn’t stop the game to review it.  It took Travis a bit to understand what he was saying because he was across the court.  He stopped arguing then.

On the Yuri blocking call I think he heel/heels were on the line or just across it.  He was set forever just a bit far back.

10 hours ago, zman said:

Please stop the speculation about TJ and Jordan. Maybe they were not happy with their play. We were playing the team that leads the nation in forcing turnovers. It is easy to say take care of the ball on this board, it is another thing to do it on the court. Jones played 38 MINUTES, with 0 TURNOVERS.  You must play a big man, Yuri, and Jimerson. So, for the final spot Thatch got the majority of the minutes.

When Hargrove came out if the game he was very upset.  When he sat on the Bench Tate called down to him to come sit up by him.  He shook him off and ignored him.  Then another coach asked him to come up by him and he did the same thing.  I like Hargrove seems like a good dude.  Games are emotional and things happen I wouldn’t read to much into it.

I was telling my wife the same thing about Jones.  I told her his stat line doesn’t show it but he’s having a great game.  I think without him we would have lost yesterday.

1 hour ago, kmbilliken said:

What SLU program have you been following? Ford is doing well by SLU’s historical standards.

If we are going to judge being a successful program by SLU’s last 50 years, we just might as well join the Valley. If that is how we are going to say someone is doing well we shouldn’t have built Chaifetz and pumped all the other money we have into the program the past 20 years.  When your program has the facilities and funding to rival any other non football school in the country, you need to raise the bar when it comes to what you consider doing well.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If we are going to judge being a successful program by SLU’s last 50 years, we just might as well join the Valley. If that is how we are going to say someone is doing well we shouldn’t have built Chaifetz and pumped all the other money we have into the program the past 20 years.  When your program has the facilities and funding to rival any other non football school in the country, you need to raise the bar when it comes to what you consider doing well.

The stars were aligning pre-Covid and are aligning again (into next year). I understand the desire for more but encourage you to have faith and enjoy a 20 win season without JP. If JP decides to leave, we’ll recruit and fill his spot with a transfer (although will nowhere be as effective as a once in a ten+ year scorer but still will be able to fill a part of his role unlike this year).

All in all, this year can still be special, and I’m putting all my chips on the next two years being otherworldly. Yuri, Gibson, Fred, Jnez, and Sincere may be the best backcourt this program has ever seen. 

BilliKat, CBFan and slufanskip like this

Our leading scorer this year averaged 7.8 ppg last year and was a non-factor at the end of last season.  Our go to guy is a 5-11 pass-first point guard who averaged 5.1 ppg last year.  Thatch has emerged as one of the best glue players in SLU history.   We beat Dayton and VCU.  It's been a frustrating but successful season.

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Our leading scorer this year averaged 7.8 ppg last year and was a non-factor at the end of last season.  Our go to guy is a 5-11 pass-first point guard who averaged 5.1 ppg last year.  Thatch has emerged as one of the best glue players in SLU history.   We beat Dayton and VCU.  It's been a frustrating but successful season.

“Travis ford can’t develop players” was a common theme among trolls. Good post. Also, team FT % up 15,000%. 

42 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You sure he's pass first?

1 hour ago, Slowry said:

When Hargrove came out if the game he was very upset.  When he sat on the Bench Tate called down to him to come sit up by him.  He shook him off and ignored him.  Then another coach asked him to come up by him and he did the same thing.  I like Hargrove seems like a good dude.  Games are emotional and things happen I wouldn’t read to much into it.

I was telling my wife the same thing about Jones.  I told her his stat line doesn’t show it but he’s having a great game.  I think without him we would have lost yesterday.

The bench yesterday was out of control. When TJ and Ford went nose to nose earlier this year some of you said to ignore it as it was common. It wasn’t. Ford and TJ have rarely interacted since then and TJ has shown a disrespectful attitude several times on the bench to several different coaches. And it just wasn’t him Saturday. Okoro was really hot and at one point refused to join the huddle. Nesbitt and Hargrove were both agitated throughout.  Not to mention Perkins being very vocal. At one point PeeWee was involved. Tate had had enough and you could see him yelling at someone repeatedly to “shut up.”  I know this happens all the time, but I’ve been sitting behind the bench for a long time and I’ve never seen the disrespect this year, and it means changes are coming. 

51 minutes ago, DOC said:

And it just wasn’t him Saturday. Okoro was really hot and at one point refused to join the huddle. 

He probably refused to join the huddle because he was throwing up.  Coach said he had a flu bug and didn't even practice on Thursday.  Immediately after the game he ran to the locker room by himself and he looked very much in distress.  At one point during a timeout in the second half, he was bent over with his face in a towel.  He may have been hot, but with a fever.