Jump to content

O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

why am i thinking that x doesnt want dayton in the same league as them?   i seem to remember that from years ago.  not betting the farm on it though.  

This has always been the belief. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

why am i thinking that x doesnt want dayton in the same league as them?   i seem to remember that from years ago.  not betting the farm on it though.  

I always felt X wouldn’t want DU as a BE competitor, but there’s a day coming where AD expenses are going to come into play with the smaller conferences. And the BE is a smaller conference. They may have the prestige of the P5s, but they will never be a P5 w/o football revenues. It would make a lot of sense for them to expand in the interests of their MW members to form a 2 div conference. Adding 3 more MW schools to the mix would achieve this and allow all member schools to reduce the expenses for their non revenue sports. Adding DU, WSU, and SLU would solve these expense issues, plus give them a bigger footprint in major MW markets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every time some team in the MVC or a team like Belmont or Valpo has few years of success, this board gets all excited about having them join the A-10.  If the A-10 added every team this board wanted them to, we would have many more Duquesnes and George Mason's in the league.  Let's make sure a program has success beyond its current coach before we talk about poaching it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Every time some team in the MVC or a team like Belmont or Valpo has few years of success, this board gets all excited about having them join the A-10.  If the A-10 added every team this board wanted them to, we would have many more Duquesnes and George Mason's in the league.  Let's make sure a program has success beyond its current coach before we talk about poaching it.

We mirror USA in this regard. Look how apesht everyone goes over any upset darling in the Dance,  as seen with Loyola Chicago recently. We all want the next big thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Every time some team in the MVC or a team like Belmont or Valpo has few years of success, this board gets all excited about having them join the A-10.  If the A-10 added every team this board wanted them to, we would have many more Duquesnes and George Mason's in the league.  Let's make sure a program has success beyond its current coach before we talk about poaching it.

Belmont has had more than a few years of success.  Their sustained success over multiple conferences, with two coaches and the Nashville market make them an attractive target.  I don't remember many on here really pining over Valpo.  Valpo hasn't been able to maintain their success and the market offers absolutely nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Belmont has had more than a few years of success.  Their sustained success over multiple conferences, with two coaches and the Nashville market make them an attractive target.  I don't remember many on here really pining over Valpo.  Valpo hasn't been able to maintain their success and the market offers absolutely nothing.

I mentioned Valpo and for the record - I don't exactly love that option, but with Belmont off the board - I was looking at private schools in the midwest. Loyola tops my list as the top target in order to get into the Chicago market. I had also previously mentioned Wichita State - very strong fan base, well funded too with their oligarchs backing it. I would prefer them to Valpo certainly.

Bottom line, not only did we lose two strong programs when Xavier and Butler left, our program became even more of a geographic outlier in the A-10. The fact that MVC is making moves in this region is concerning. If they were somehow to get WSU back, that would be a strong move. I don't see the A-10 being pro-active.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

-A10 has been better than MVC, per KenPom, every year but one since X left (Butler only in A10 one season), granted close lately, bids, which are more important, are pro A10 as well

-remember when it was a joke on here to talk about joining the MVC? I get that things change, but imo we are no where close to a change of that magnitude

 

  ken pom       bids    
  a10 mvc     a10 mvc  
2021 9 10     2 2 2021
2020 9 11         2020
2019 11 15     2 1 2019
2018 10 9     3 1 2018
2017 8 10 wsu last year in mvc 3 1 2017
2016 8 11 loyola final 4 3 2 2016
2015 7 12     3 2 2015
2014 8 11 1st yr no X  6 1 2014
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-A10 has been better than MVC, per KenPom, every year but one since X left (Butler only in A10 one season), granted close lately, bids, which are more important, are pro A10 as well

-remember when it was a joke on here to talk about joining the MVC? I get that things change, but imo we are no where close to a change of that magnitude

 

  ken pom       bids    
  a10 mvc     a10 mvc  
2021 9 10     2 2 2021
2020 9 11         2020
2019 11 15     2 1 2019
2018 10 9     3 1 2018
2017 8 10 wsu last year in mvc 3 1 2017
2016 8 11 loyola final 4 3 2 2016
2015 7 12     3 2 2015
2014 8 11 1st yr no X  6 1 2014

Strange year last year with Drake as one of the last 4 teams to get in and the A10 sending 4 teams to the NIT (including one 1 seed and two 2 seeds) and the MVC sending none. 

I really like the MVC, and Belmont is a great add, but it does feel like last year could be a bit of a high water mark for the time being, especially considering Porter and Krutwig's departure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, AGB91 said:

What do you think about Lindenwood moving to D-1 and joining the OVC?
They need members and Lindenwood has the facilities.

I would be in favor. Its not like we would be battling over recruits. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Isn't SIU-E in the OVC?  Would Lindenwood face a similar, uninteresting fate?

The OVC is a whole lot more interesting than wherever Lindenwood competes today.

Kind of crazy that this latest bout of realignment could end up with the SEC and MVC as the two biggest winners. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, AGB91 said:

What do you think about Lindenwood moving to D-1 and joining the OVC?
They need members and Lindenwood has the facilities.

The men’s hockey program is going to move to D1 in 2022. Could end up in the Atlantic Hockey Conference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The latest conference news Out West is that Air Force and Colorado State are both STAYING in the Mountain West, joining Boise State and San Diego State in remaining in the Mountain West.

A blow for the AAC.  Hopefully Temple and Wichita St are spurred to reevaluate their positions following this move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UT-San Antonio, Rice, UAB accept invites to AAC: 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32445087/florida-atlantic-charlotte-north-texas-utsa-rice-uab-set-join-american-athletic-conference

Any "would it have made sense to stay in the MVC?" discussion around here will pale in comparison to what's happening in Wichita. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will C-USA survive??  Seen Marshall and Southern Miss may leave for the Sun Belt

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BLIKNS said:

Will C-USA survive??  Seen Marshall and Southern Miss may leave for the Sun Belt

 

It certainly seems to be snowballing - two teams leave the Big XII, three teams leave the AAC, six teams leave C-USA.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, kshoe said:

The A-10 has to reach out Wichita St. to see about their interest in joining up. Failing to do so would be a massive leadership failure.

Butler joined the A10 for only a few years so WSU leaving for lets say the A10 is not that far fetched.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...