O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)

BLIKNS

40 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

USI was already treating their D2 sports like a D1 school. The GLVC is arguably the most big-time D2 hoops conference. If anyone hasn't been there, their facilities are better than some in our league, which I know isn't saying much. For example, check out their basketball arena:

https://gousieagles.com/sports/2019/11/10/screaming-eagles-arena.aspx?id=363

Southern Indiana has been a D-1 in everything but the name for years now.  I wonder what took them so long?

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Southern Indiana has been a D-1 in everything but the name for years now.  I wonder what took them so long?

Agreed. I was at McKendree for the transition from NAIA to D2 and it was crazy how much of a difference there was in terms of commitment from different schools. We had the now-defunct St. Joseph's in Indiana on the low end, as well as Bellarmine and USI (both D1 now) on the other. Drury and Lindenwood are two other schools that would probably be in the top ten of our league in terms of facilities.

13 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Agreed. I was at McKendree for the transition from NAIA to D2 and it was crazy how much of a difference there was in terms of commitment from different schools. We had the now-defunct St. Joseph's in Indiana on the low end, as well as Bellarmine and USI (both D1 now) on the other. Drury and Lindenwood are two other schools that would probably be in the top ten of our league in terms of facilities.

Speaking of Lindenwood, has anyone heard of a plan or timeline for them going D1? You have to think that’s their goal given how focused they are on athletics.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Lindenwood to the ovc, pretty big for the area 

that's surprising.   pretty high jump isnt it?   i admittedly know nothing about lindenwood, but it would seem that is quite the step up.

Feels like everyone's going D-I these days. The power conferences get bigger and the low-levels back-fill with whatever they can get. I guess the OVC was desperate for a football program with only 5 teams left?

Seems like a strange fit for the OVC (other than to shore up football). But definitely good for basketball in the region - the more D-I scholarships, coaches, media attention, etc... the better.

Great for Lindenwood,  geographically nice fit.  

I expect the Atlantic Sun to add more football teams , as they have 6 , OVC could be a place they look ... 

Still more trickle down effect to come...

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

that's surprising.   pretty high jump isnt it?   i admittedly know nothing about lindenwood, but it would seem that is quite the step up.

I thought they were near the top of NAIA when Brad Soderberg was there but that was a few years back.

27 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Lindenwood is like a ‘Victory Rock Prep’ or ‘Link Academy’ of college sports, because everyone I have ever met who went there was playing a sport. They will probably become a nationally recognized brand in 10 years. :) This is a joking post. I don’t mean to disparage Lindenwood.

One of the Post articles did say 10% of the students are athletes. It is what they’ve done to differentiate themselves and I guess it has worked. The university is a lot different from the sleepy Presbyterian school is was pre-2000.

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

Linden wood was on the verge of bankruptcy and one of the things used to bring them back was partial athletic scholarships 

You can get a partial scholarship for playing tiddly winks.  The teachers they hire are tasked with filling their own classes and if they don't then they don't teach someone told me.  I have no interest in playing them much less giving them a home game.  

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You can get a partial scholarship for playing tiddly winks.  The teachers they hire are tasked with filling their own classes and if they don't then they don't teach someone told me.  I have no interest in playing them much less giving them a home game.  

I don’t believe I suggested putting them on the schedule 

1 hour ago, Billikenbooster said:

Dont want another Southwest Missouri State scenario, where their alums crash our place giving them a home court advantage  

Would be nice to have the place full regardless they are supporting SLU with ticket sales, concessions,and parking.  Would love to see out non conference schedule include some closer schools that travel.  Makes for a gun atmosphere.  I had a great time when went to SIUE.  I usually make the truck to SIUC.  And this year went to Memphis.  I wish they had more games within 300 miles to go see.

ARon likes this

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

Linden wood was on the verge of bankruptcy and one of the things used to bring them back was partial athletic scholarships 

I have no interest in playing Lindenwood, but partial scholarship are very common at the D1 level except in basketball and football. Most athletes at SLU are on partial scholarships.