WELCOME HEAD COACH JOSH SCHERTZ!!

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

If you are interested in the BVF, listen to Frank's interview yesterday with Troy.  He came out and stated that Caleb Love's agent called last year and said he wanted to come to SLU for $XYZ.  He was out of the budget.  But he would have been the Billiken's 2 Guard if the funds had been ther

Billiken Loyalty Program was explained.  It is for Graduating Seniors that have been with the school for 2 years.  TJ Hargrove is getting a nice check from the Loyalty Program this year.  You can go to BVF and direct your funds to BVF Loyalty Program for TJ.

I like the loyalty program.   However we can't put everything there and then be short on being effective in the portal 

I am not a Love fan.   I hate hero ball when there are other talented players on the floor.   With Parker this year we had to have him play that way.   With Collins I thought we had other players that were good enough to be utilized and got ignored 

Love was on a team that had a number of talented players whereby he didn't need to play that way as much as he did.

If I am wrong then maybe he should be in the NBA draft.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, willie said:

Assuming this article is acurate Schertz's hiring wasn't the done deal we all believed.  

Think back upon prior experiences with various coaches. Has it ever been the way we all believed?

Can someone give a summary of the event? Besides RSVP issues what did the Coach say about NIL strategy?  How many showed up? Any indication of the BVF warchest amount?

TRN and laker119 like this

21 hours ago, willie said:

Assuming this article is acurate Schertz's hiring wasn't the done deal we all believed.  

This is why I kept saying until a contract is signed it is not over and people scoffed.  The bottom line is nothing is ever over until it is over.

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Can someone give a summary of the event? Besides RSVP issues what did the Coach say about NIL strategy?  How many showed up? Any indication of the BVF warchest amount?

-I am surprised at the silence

13 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I was there. About what I expected. 

Probably 60-70 people in total, wide age range. I'm 28 and was older than ~15% of the room. 

Schertz accidentally went to the downtown MAC and didn't get to the Des Peres location until about 6. Troy spoke a bit, Chris May spoke a bit, then Schertz took the wheel. Good speech, dude is very funny, then he took a Q&A. Most of the questions were pretty worthless but he did drop a couple of noteworthy things:

1) Last year's ISU team was paid a combined 80k in NIL. Their market value today is as much as 2 mill. 

2) One of the recent recruits on campus brought their 12YO sister who made a fat joke towards Schertz - he found it very funny (as did I).

3) Gibby was scheduled for a visit to UConn this coming weekend before recommitting to SLU. We beat the two-time reigning national champion out for a transfer portal player, and more arguably more importantly the two-time reigning national champion was interested in our shooting guard. Think about that next time anyone wants to talk down on Gibby. 

4) Coach is still VERY confident that we get commitments from RA and IS this week. I'm very confident that those commitments will open the floodgates. 

5) I asked coach 1 on 1 afterwards what he thought of the Billiken vs. "Team Blue" and it sounds like we can finally but that bullshite boring @$$ moniker to rest.  

6) Charlie Gitto's is his favorite restaurant so far. Had it during the MVC tournament. 

The end of team blue is better than any recruit

4 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

I was there. About what I expected. 

Probably 60-70 people in total, wide age range. I'm 28 and was older than ~15% of the room. 

Schertz accidentally went to the downtown MAC and didn't get to the Des Peres location until about 6. Troy spoke a bit, Chris May spoke a bit, then Schertz took the wheel. Good speech, dude is very funny, then he took a Q&A. Most of the questions were pretty worthless but he did drop a couple of noteworthy things:

1) Last year's ISU team was paid a combined 80k in NIL. Their market value today is as much as 2 mill. 

2) One of the recent recruits on campus brought their 12YO sister who made a fat joke towards Schertz - he found it very funny (as did I).

3) Gibby was scheduled for a visit to UConn this coming weekend before recommitting to SLU. We beat the two-time reigning national champion out for a transfer portal player, and arguably more importantly the two-time reigning national champion was interested in our shooting guard. Think about that next time anyone wants to talk down on Gibby. 

4) Coach is still VERY confident that we get commitments from RA and IS this week. I'm very confident that those commitments will open the floodgates. 

5) I asked coach 1 on 1 afterwards what he thought of the Billiken vs. "Team Blue" and it sounds like we can finally but that bullshite boring @$$ moniker to rest.  

6) Charlie Gitto's is his favorite restaurant so far. Had it during the MVC tournament. 

If this is true #1 that is a 25 times increase in one year if my math is correct.  How can this kind of annual increases be sustainable even for the big boys.  

billikenbill likes this

13 hours ago, cheeseman said:

If this is true #1 that is a 25 times increase in one year if my math is correct.  How can this kind of annual increases be sustainable even for the big boys.  

I didn’t take it as the top spenders had to increase what they were spending.  Just that players that had a great years got huge increases.  I’m assuming players that had bad years took decreases.  But to your point I think it’s going to have to cap out at sometime.   I also wonder now if there will ever be a “salary cap” with NIL?

13 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Not every team is going to get a 25X increase. If you are a relative nobody team and all of a sudden become a top 25 team, you can expect a large increase.

Same goes for individual players. A player may be getting $20k a year somewhere, have a breakout season and be offered $500k somewhere else the next season. Of course the opposite could be true...a player may have a 200k deal then play poorly or get hurt and next year he is told he'll only be getting 50k or that he should hit the portal. There is a downside for players that don't perform as free agency every year for every player doesn't work out so well if you don't perform up to your contract.

The real question is how much will the entire pot of NIL funds grow each year.  That's the true test of sustainability.

42 minutes ago, Slowry said:

I didn’t take it as the top spenders had to increase what they were spending.  Just that players that had a great years got huge increases.  I’m assuming players that had bad years took decreases.  But to your point I think it’s going to have to cap out at sometime.   I also wonder now if there will ever be a “salary cap” with NIL?

A salary cap could come with a union agreeing to a salary cap.  

Edited by someoneelse
'cap' is needed for full meaning

I have to believe that if you try to "cut" a player's NIL payout from one year to the next, they are gone.  And even if you don't, it is to their benefit to enter the portal every year in an attempt to up their personal ante.  There are likely no such thing as NIL contracts.  You don't sign on for anything more than one year, do you?  And there is no evaluation of such payments.  

Ballo is supposedly getting $1.2 million at Indiana this year.  All that did was get him to leave Arizona for Indiana.  I am unaware of any stipulations put on these guys ..... what if they don't make the NCAAs?  What if he gets injured?  What if he's part of a situation and gets dismissed from the team?  What if family matters call him to Macedonia?  What are the effects on team chemistry when the top dawg is getting $1.2 million and eighth man doggie is getting $25k?  How does one establish a pricing structure.  And like all things in this society, prices will continue to go up, never coming down.  

Sustainability seems an impossibility.  MLB is seeing a number of its broadcast deals go down the drain.  ESPN is getting out of their broadcast contract.  Three or four regional sports networks have failed.  Is college basketball far behind?  But network monies don't go into NIL pots.  Ratings for the tournament are down.  I don't get rich alums paying for fleeting results.  What has Pickens got from his support to Oklahoma State?  Knight to Oregon?  Chaifetz to SLU, for that matter?  

It used to be hard to be a Billiken fan.  Now it's getting harder to be a fan of college sports IMHO.  I'm trending more to sports now for the betting aspect.  I don't bet much but as Jamie Foxx said 'put some skin in the game.'  

14 hours ago, cheeseman said:

ISU basically had 6 players. $2 million for them is an exaggeration.

52 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I have to believe that if you try to "cut" a player's NIL payout from one year to the next, they are gone.  And even if you don't, it is to their benefit to enter the portal every year in an attempt to up their personal ante.  There are likely no such thing as NIL contracts.  You don't sign on for anything more than one year, do you?  And there is no evaluation of such payments.  

Ballo is supposedly getting $1.2 million at Indiana this year.  All that did was get him to leave Arizona for Indiana.  I am unaware of any stipulations put on these guys ..... what if they don't make the NCAAs?  What if he gets injured?  What if he's part of a situation and gets dismissed from the team?  What if family matters call him to Macedonia?  What are the effects on team chemistry when the top dawg is getting $1.2 million and eighth man doggie is getting $25k?  How does one establish a pricing structure.  And like all things in this society, prices will continue to go up, never coming down.  

Sustainability seems an impossibility.  MLB is seeing a number of its broadcast deals go down the drain.  ESPN is getting out of their broadcast contract.  Three or four regional sports networks have failed.  Is college basketball far behind?  But network monies don't go into NIL pots.  Ratings for the tournament are down.  I don't get rich alums paying for fleeting results.  What has Pickens got from his support to Oklahoma State?  Knight to Oregon?  Chaifetz to SLU, for that matter?  

It used to be hard to be a Billiken fan.  Now it's getting harder to be a fan of college sports IMHO.  I'm trending more to sports now for the betting aspect.  I don't bet much but as Jamie Foxx said 'put some skin in the game.'  

Sustainability seems to be impossible to me. Pro sports works because you make money off of it. This is just people putting ever increasing amounts of money into this purely for what? Ego? It’s just not sustainable into the future.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Not every team is going to get a 25X increase. If you are a relative nobody team and all of a sudden become a top 25 team, you can expect a large increase.

Same goes for individual players. A player may be getting $20k a year somewhere, have a breakout season and be offered $500k somewhere else the next season. Of course the opposite could be true...a player may have a 200k deal then play poorly or get hurt and next year he is told he'll only be getting 50k or that he should hit the portal. There is a downside for players that don't perform as free agency every year for every player doesn't work out so well if you don't perform up to your contract.

The real question is how much will the entire pot of NIL funds grow each year.  That's the true test of sustainability.

-my mind tells me this is happening, it makes sense to be happening, I would like to hear/see it - no to embarrass or demean the kid but to show some real world aspect of this crazy part of the world

24 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Sustainability seems to be impossible to me. Pro sports works because you make money off of it. This is just people putting ever increasing amounts of money into this purely for what? Ego? It’s just not sustainable into the future.

This had been going on for decades in college football and basketball.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I get what you’re saying and agree with a ton of it.

Luckily for us, we appear to be on the cutting edge of NIL/portal landscape with Schertz.  At least much more closer to it than we were under Ford

1 minute ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

This had been going on for decades in college football and basketball.

Not with this amount of money. Back in the days of shady guys handing kids bags of money it was all under cover. Now, it’s all public and semi-public, and people can throw in money without worrying about going to jail. The cost to everyone has skyrocketed, and no one putting in NIL money is getting any return on their money (no share of ownership, no part of revenue from the sport) other than the pure ego of buying their team a championship. And most of the money will not buy a championship, and the rate of increase is crazy. I just don’t see this as being sustainable.

billikenbill likes this

The rising NIL costs aren’t sustainable and that’s why you see university presidents and ADs asking for the NCAA and Congress to figure it out.  

Pretty much everything the NCAA rules on these days is overturned by a court.  So, it’s on the federal government and/or Congress to act.  There needs to be some type of special employee class defined for student athletes to make the system manageable.  

If it ever will be addressed is a big question.  It seems like low hanging fruit during an election year where all sides can come out looking good.  But, I digress…

cgeldmacher likes this

2 hours ago, Slowry said:

I find it hard to grasp that even the biggies, P5, with FB programs to fund as well can maintain big paydays for their hoops programs. 22 starters and 40+ backups for FB programs shooting for national championships  is going to tax even the big $$ alumns/supporters over time. Yes, they have a lot more of these types than the rest of us, but I don’t think even their well is that deep. Plus, they have to support full athletic programs, ie 20+ men’s and women’s teams. I’m sure those players will start saying, “hey where’s my check?”.