WELCOME HEAD COACH JOSH SCHERTZ!!

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, brianstl said:

I don't know what to tell you.  I don't think you really understand how much some of SLU"s boosters are really worth.  These aren't the type of people that will be making NIL spends through a collective website. This isn't just Chaifetz that has stepped up.  I have heard two different numbers for what will be available for SLU to spend on NIL this season.  The lower of those two numbers would have put SLU among the very elite of P5 basketball NIL spending last season.  Will Texas spend more this coming season than SLU will?  Sure they could, I am sure they have the means to and they probably will.  Also just because the money is available that doesn't mean SLU will spend every last penny of it.  That still doesn't mean SLU won't be able spend just as much or more than Texas when it comes to what they are willing to spend on a specific player both programs are targeting.  Being willing to spend that money doesn't even mean that SLU would land that player.  There are many kids that would rather play for Texas at the end of the day.

Surely the whole point of this board is to humor MBMs with numbers like these? 

17 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Damn if Avila doesn't come here I am gonna look like a clown telling everyone around me that he was going to be playing for SLU next year.  

I really think Avila is mostly a product of the offense Schertz runs.  He’s a talented player for sure.  But he won’t fair near as well in a different offense.  One of the great things about Schwartz’s offense is shortening the floor for the big guy.  Avila isn’t fast.  Running back down the court from the 3-point line is a lot different than starting under the basket.  I hope he understands this.  

cgeldmacher likes this

admittedly i have only watched Avila on TV a handful of times this year.   IMO, he is a surprising star.   Watching him, he doesnt overwhelm you with high flying dunks or blocked shots into the stands, or blinding speed on fast breaks.   

However at the end of the game he fills the stats chart, he has more assists than what team's big guys normally has, his shooting percentage particularly from the three point line is pretty much unheard of for a big.   

imo he is Nicola Jokic in the making.   I guess jokic is a product of the Schertz offense as well.  Jokic wouldnt be anything without being a product of the Schertz offense. right?

i love Avila.   he plays basketball the way the game is supposed to be played.   i want him to be a billiken so much.  

27 minutes ago, Slowry said:

I really think Avila is mostly a product of the offense Schertz runs.  He’s a talented player for sure.  But he won’t fair near as well in a different offense.  One of the great things about Schwartz’s offense is shortening the floor for the big guy.  Avila isn’t fast.  Running back down the court from the 3-point line is a lot different than starting under the basket.  I hope he understands this.  

If you have a player that makes everybody else better, you should build the team offense around that player.  Schertz has been doing that ever since he was in Division 2.  Most coaches are not flexible enough to pull that off.  So I agree, a player like Avila looks like a superstar in one kind of offense and a role player in another.

@billiken_roy I too love Avila and his basketball instincts are good. He'd still be a good player outside of Schertz offense but in the 5 out offense it maximizes his skillset. 

I do think he'd be a liability on defense night in night out vs SEC or B12 big men.  Unless that team had really good help defense.

So I think right here at SLU is his sweet spot.  Close enough for his parents to watch him play. Hell maybe Chaifetz let's em fly in with him a couple times just to save gas.

Bills By 40 and cgeldmacher like this

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Surely the whole point of this board is to humor MBMs with numbers like these? 

I didn't throw the specific number amount out there because I'm not sure what those dollar amounts actually include. For instance I don't believe the higher number (it was crazy) has any chance of being accurate if we are just talking about what the guys will get this coming season, but it could very well be accurate if we are talking about the combined value of all the seasons included in the deals they sign.  I have a feeling the second number might be right when it comes to the total value of the compensation of what the guys might get next season, but I don't know how much of that is actual cash and how much of it includes the value of other stuff included in the deal for things like car leases.  So if you throw an actual dollar amount out there people might take it for something it actually isn't supposed to be without the proper context of what it all includes.  

majerus mojo likes this

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Anywhere from top of the a10 to legit P5 numbers

Yes, what would have been an elite spend last year among the P5 won't be elite next season, but will still be really good P5 spending. 247 had a good article Wednesday talking about P5 average spends last season and expected average spends next season.

What was the $ amount mentioned for Jimmerson this year like $250k?  The cost to bring him back rises and most of these other ISU players are probably a little less than that mark. 

Schertz only played 7 guys significant minutes. 

Wild speculation below on NIL amounts:

$300k GJ

$300k Avila

$300k Conwell 

$200k Larry 

$200k Kent

$150k Swope 

$100k Thames

That's $1.55mil not counting incoming freshman, Hughes and other transfers. 

From: https://247sports.com/article/the-cost-of-winning-inside-the-nil-approaches-of-the-basketball-teams-that-fared-best-and-worst-this-season-229902614/#:~:text=Harry Geller%2C who leads Maryland's Turtle NIL,4 in 247Sports' transfer portal team rankings.

"Outside of a top 10 high school kid who is one-and-done, you're spending all of your dollars on the portal," Belzer said. "We saw that a top-40 kid last year was going for at least $300,000-$350,000. That number is now moving up. There are going to be many athletes that are making $400,000-$500,000 going into next year."

11 hours ago, Billikitty7 said:

Funny story- I believe Conran was my basketball coach for a couple years when I played up a grade. I’m not certain it’s the same Joe conran - I never knew that much about him- but pretty awesome :)

I think you and I previously established that we grew up in the same parish.  I believe he used to live in the neighborhood where I grew up, so it would make sense.

15 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm not diminishing the wealth of SLU Boosters.  There's just economies of scale, Texas has more of those top level boosters and more of every other level.

I hope our Boosters are motivated, they seem to be, and can outbid a P5. Plus we have the inside track and the motivation to keep guys with their teammates and coach.  Something other schools can't offer.

Out of curiosity are these slu high dollar boosters aging out or are youngsters aging in to the high dollar level

53 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

What was the $ amount mentioned for Jimmerson this year like $250k?  The cost y bring him back rises and most of these other ISU players are probably a little less than that mark. 

$300k GJ

$300k Avila

$300k Conwell 

$200k Larry 

$200k Kent

$150k Swope 

$100k Thames

From: https://247sports.com/article/the-cost-of-winning-inside-the-nil-approaches-of-the-basketball-teams-that-fared-best-and-worst-this-season-229902614/#:~:text=Harry Geller%2C who leads Maryland's Turtle NIL,4 in 247Sports' transfer portal team rankings.

"Outside of a top 10 high school kid who is one-and-done, you're spending all of your dollars on the portal," Belzer said. "We saw that a top-40 kid last year was going for at least $300,000-$350,000. That number is now moving up. There are going to be many athletes that are making $400,000-$500,000 going into next year."

If Kellen Thames gets $100k, the nil market is outta control lol.  Like him as a player and think he’s got potential, but $100k?  Same with LHJ

Just now, laker119 said:

If Kellen Thames gets $100k, the nil market is outta control lol.  Like him as a player and think he’s got potential, but $100k?  Same with LHJ

This is wild speculation. Maybe he's $50k and throw in some Del Taco gift cards.

laker119 likes this

59 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

What was the $ amount mentioned for Jimmerson this year like $250k?  The cost to bring him back rises and most of these other ISU players are probably a little less than that mark. 

$300k GJ

$300k Avila

$300k Conwell 

$200k Larry 

$200k Kent

$150k Swope 

$100k Thames

This is why I'm more than certain we wont see both Conwell and Gibby.  Its a pick one situation. So that at least drops it down to 1.25. I Also don't think we see Larry.

Now add Hughes, $150k, and Turnbull 150k and thats your 8 player rotation.  The rest can be frosh who combine for small amounts. 

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

$300k GJ

$300k Avila

$300k Conwell 

$200k Larry 

$200k Kent

$150k Swope 

$100k Thames

I’d say Larry is not likely as he’s been speculated to be looking back home in Texas.  And Conwell seems to be a coin flip if he follows Schertz.  I’d say Avila, Swope, and Kent will be the starters likely to come to SLU.  I’m sure there will be many other portal pieces and recruits incoming.

5 minutes ago, TRN said:

I’d say Larry is not likely as he’s been speculated to be looking back home in Texas.  And Conwell seems to be a coin flip if he follows Schertz.  I’d say Avila, Swope, and Kent will be the starters likely to come to SLU.  I’m sure there will be many other portal pieces and recruits incoming.

FWIW, on Frank’s radio show today, he was pretty confident Avila, Swope and Kent were coming. Plus, Turnbull and the 6’10 recruit from Canada. He also mentioned he thinks Jimerson is coming back and Schertz told him that his goal was to have a team of players 6’4”-6’10”.

13 minutes ago, TRN said:

Horns 247 board admin responded to me about Avila. Doesn't appear that he's visiting Texas. Kent and Larry are visiting together. Maybe Avila's traveling with them to get some Torchy's tacos and queso.  

We'll know more probably Monday, it could make that Coach BVF appearance on Tuesday interesting.

11 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

FWIW, on Frank’s radio show today, he was pretty confident Avila, Swope and Kent were coming. Plus, Turnbull and the 6’10 recruit from Canada. He also mentioned he thinks Jimerson is coming back and Schertz told him that his goal was to have a team of players 6’4”-6’10”.

That is interesting because it sounded from at least one source that Nitu was going to stay loyal to Graves, because he was the lead recruiter. I am confident in Turnbull. 

It sounds like the Dutch kid coming in this weekend would be a good get if Nitu stays committed to Graves and ISU. Max Pikaar, 6-11, 200. Very fluid stretch big. Skinny but a good fit.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

I think you and I previously established that we grew up in the same parish.  I believe he used to live in the neighborhood where I grew up, so it would make sense.

SGM? I don’t recall realizing that but - if so- how about that? :)