2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

4 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

The UMSL showing was not impressive either... I hope I am wrong... I just have set my expectations too high in years past...

It’s definitely fair to be cautiously optimistic based on the past. We’ve seen other highly regarded preseason Ford teams fall well short of expectations (for a variety of reasons, some out of his control). 

I’m just not adjusting expectations based on UMSL and a secret scrimmage vs Bradley.  This year is put up or shut up for Ford as far as I’m concerned.  I’m optimistic they can do it. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

My expectations are lower. An NCAAT bid would be a good outcome. 

A team that advances far in the tourney should be able to beat Bradley (minus their best player) in Regulation (Yes, I understand it was an exhibition and coach could have been trying new things out and yadda yadda) and should not struggle against UMSL. 

Just my honest unpopular opinion. It's not like we have a TON of new pieces that are learning to work together (Yes there are some, but much less than most teams). 

**EDIT: Typo, yes the Bradley game was a secret Scrimmage not an exhibition. **

We didn't struggle with UMSL.  When we played our main lineup, it was going to be a 50+ point blowout. When we started experimenting with random things just to know what we'll have later in the season, that's when it got sloppy. 

Box and Won and drkelsey55 like this

1 hour ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

It was mentioned on the radio that sometimes these scrimmages are stopped mid game.. I have no inside information, but I have no evidence that this actually happened during this game... The UMSL showing was not impressive either... I hope I am wrong... I just have set my expectations too high in years past... I'm just sipping a little less Kool-Aid after the "preseason" (scrimmage/exhibition).

Assessing a team based on the preseason, good or bad, is a waste of time.  You don't know what you have until a respectable team punches you in the mouth in the game that counts.

BilliesBy40 and CBFan like this

20 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Assessing a team based on the preseason, good or bad, is a waste of time.  You don't know what you have until a respectable team punches you in the mouth in the game that counts.

As The Wiz always says wait 8 games until you evaluate.

The Wiz likes this

2 hours ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

My expectations are lower. An NCAAT bid would be a good outcome. 

A team that advances far in the tourney should be able to beat Bradley (minus their best player) in Regulation (Yes, I understand it was an exhibition and coach could have been trying new things out and yadda yadda) and should not struggle against UMSL. 

Just my honest unpopular opinion. It's not like we have a TON of new pieces that are learning to work together (Yes there are some, but much less than most teams). 

**EDIT: Typo, yes the Bradley game was a secret Scrimmage not an exhibition. **

I have concerns about Ford's ability to take us on a deep tourney run, BUT if you can't get excited about this team you might be wasting your time being a fan. 

Young Charles likes this

5 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

It’s definitely fair to be cautiously optimistic based on the past. We’ve seen other highly regarded preseason Ford teams fall well short of expectations (for a variety of reasons, some out of his control). 

I’m just not adjusting expectations based on UMSL and a secret scrimmage vs Bradley.  This year is put up or shut up for Ford as far as I’m concerned.  I’m optimistic they can do it. 

Don't go there with Ford.  Best coaching situation I've seen in my decades as a Billiken fan.  I want Ford to be the coach for many years.  We will always be competitive with him as the Coach.  Stability = Winning and always being "in the conversation"

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Don't go there with Ford.  Best coaching situation I've seen in my decades as a Billiken fan.  I want Ford to be the coach for many years.  We will always be competitive with him as the Coach.  Stability = Winning and always being "in the conversation"

Not saying he’s on the hot seat or anything. Just that we’ve had highly regarded teams in pre-season before, and if we want this program to move in the direction a lot of us want it to, it’s time to step it up.  I’m also happy with Ford as coach, anyone can see the program is in a way better spot now than when Crews was coach. Still, I don’t think it’s unreasonable at all to expect a step up in performance this year.  There have been excuses year in and out for why we haven’t been able to take the next step, many of which were out of Ford’s control and are justifiable excuses (S2, Perkins injury, Gordon transfer, Covid breaks, etc).  At some point though it’s time to put excuses aside and take the next step forward as a program. 

33 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Not saying he’s on the hot seat or anything. Just that we’ve had highly regarded teams in pre-season before, and if we want this program to move in the direction a lot of us want it to, it’s time to step it up.  I’m also happy with Ford as coach, anyone can see the program is in a way better spot now than when Crews was coach. Still, I don’t think it’s unreasonable at all to expect a step up in performance this year.  There have been excuses year in and out for why we haven’t been able to take the next step, many of which were out of Ford’s control and are justifiable excuses (S2, Perkins injury, Gordon transfer, Covid breaks, etc).  At some point though it’s time to put excuses aside and take the next step forward as a program. 

You say excuses, I say reasons. Which year was the reason not valid? The Covid years? Losing your best player before the 1st game. We should be ecstatic over last season. When Javonte went down, how many still had us making the tourney? Anyone? Then when what we knew would happen happened, people are disappointed. Makes no sense, but I’ve been reading this board long enough to not be surprised 

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

The reason these teams are highly regarded in the first place is based solely on Fords ability to recruit elite talent.  How much preseason buzz we’re Soderberg, Crews, or Romar teams creating?

100 times out of 100 I’d choose having the talent and falling short than not having the talent at all

41 minutes ago, Fraz said:

The reason these teams are highly regarded in the first place is based solely on Fords ability to recruit elite talent.  How much preseason buzz we’re Soderberg, Crews, or Romar teams creating?

100 times out of 100 I’d choose having the talent and falling short than not having the talent at all

Agree.

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I’m also happy with Ford as coach, anyone can see the program is in a way better spot now than when Crews was coach.  

At some point though it’s time to put excuses aside and take the next step forward as a program. 

Lord almighty, you compare the current program to one of the worst periods imaginable for SLU MBB. Please set the bar higher than Crews.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

You say excuses, I say reasons. Which year was the reason not valid? The Covid years? Losing your best player before the 1st game. We should be ecstatic over last season. When Javonte went down, how many still had us making the tourney? Anyone? Then when what we knew would happen happened, people are disappointed. Makes no sense, but I’ve been reading this board long enough to not be surprised 

What did I say that was unreasonable, Skip?   Why is it ridiculous to say that at some point there needs to be results?  I’ve also been here a long time, and I’ve read enough to know that some posters will always take some perceived moral high ground when it comes to the coach, AD, etc. and attack anyone who questions them. 

I don’t know a single poster (other than maybe oldgeezer) that has said they aren’t happy with where the team is now.   We are all behind Ford and the team, and excited for the season. But why is it unreasonable to say there needs to be success at some point?   Are we content with making the tournament 1/4 years as long as we are “competitive” the other years?  I personally think we have the resources/facilities to expect a little better than that, eventually. It didn’t/won’t happen overnight, but we finally have a team/schedule that Ford has been building since he got here. It’s time to win. 

50 minutes ago, Fraz said:

I agree with the first part of your post. The talent level is vastly improved from before Ford’s tenure. But are we content with just having more buzz/talent than Sodie/Crews teams?   The talent level has been much higher than previously for the last four years. Don’t think it’s unreasonable to eventually expect results. 

57 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

What did I say that was unreasonable, Skip?   Why is it ridiculous to say that at some point there needs to be results?  I’ve also been here a long time, and I’ve read enough to know that some posters will always take some perceived moral high ground when it comes to the coach, AD, etc. and attack anyone who questions them. 

I don’t know a single poster (other than maybe oldgeezer) that has said they aren’t happy with where the team is now.   We are all behind Ford and the team, and excited for the season. But why is it unreasonable to say there needs to be success at some point?   Are we content with making the tournament 1/4 years as long as we are “competitive” the other years?  I personally think we have the resources/facilities to expect a little better than that, eventually. It didn’t/won’t happen overnight, but we finally have a team/schedule that Ford has been building since he got here. It’s time to win. 

Actually, I misread your post where you said justifiable. I agree with you. My bad. I apologize 

28 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Actually, I misread your post where you said justifiable. I agree with you. My bad. I apologize 

All good. Maybe “excuses” wasn’t the right word either.  May have been more appropriate to say there have been “circumstances” out of Ford’s control.  Love what he’s done with the talent level, as well as keeping the team intact in an era of transfers and roster uncertainty. 

Still think it’s fair to eventually expect some improved results… an at large bid and a round of 32 appearance seems reasonable for this year. A sweet 16 is an optimistic but not entirely ridiculous expectation. 

I think this board has become a little too divided into “Ford Sucks” and “Ford is God” factions.  I think it’s fair to be somewhere in the middle. I love that Ford has brought the program back into relevance, but also expect a step forward as far as postseason success goes.  I hope it happens. 

willie likes this

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

All good. Maybe “excuses” wasn’t the right word either.  May have been more appropriate to say there have been “circumstances” out of Ford’s control.  Love what he’s done with the talent level, as well as keeping the team intact in an era of transfers and roster uncertainty. 

Still think it’s fair to eventually expect some improved results… an at large bid and a round of 32 appearance seems reasonable for this year. A sweet 16 is an optimistic but not entirely ridiculous expectation. 

I think this board has become a little too divided into “Ford Sucks” and “Ford is God” factions.  I think it’s fair to be somewhere in the middle. I love that Ford has brought the program back into relevance, but also expect a step forward as far as postseason success goes.  I hope it happens. 

We are in agreement. I’m in the Ford has done a great job so far, but barring any unforeseen circumstances we need to be in the tournament and honestly I’ll be disappointed with a 1 win year especially if Perkins is his old self. If Perkins plays within 90% of 20-21 season … let’s just say my expectations are more than a rd of 32 season. Obviously I won’t be on a fire Ford bandwagon but I will feel like we underachieved

gobillsgo likes this

Coach Ford had more talented teams than this one at Oklahoma State and didn't make it past the 2nd round.  I would love to get to a Sweet 16 but that hasn't been his history.  Some coaches with pretty decent records overall -- Bobby Lutz, Fran Dunphy, Herb Sendek -- didn't make runs in the tournament for whatever reason.  Mick Cronin, one of the winningest coaches of the last 20 years, only made one Sweet 16 before he moved to UCLA.

Coach Ford did, however, get Okie State to 5 tournaments in 8 years.  That appears to be the trajectory we're on and I would be ecstatic with that.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Coach Ford had more talented teams than this one at Oklahoma State and didn't make it past the 2nd round.  I would love to get to a Sweet 16 but that hasn't been his history.  Some coaches with pretty decent records overall -- Bobby Lutz, Fran Dunphy, Herb Sendek -- didn't make runs in the tournament for whatever reason.  Mick Cronin, one of the winningest coaches of the last 20 years, only made one Sweet 16 before he moved to UCLA.

Coach Ford did, however, get Okie State to 5 tournaments in 8 years.  That appears to be the trajectory we're on and I would be ecstatic with that.

I think it really helps that he hasn’t gone far yet. Can’t hit red every time, at some point he is going into the black.

13 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I'm not sure what people were expecting when Perk went down. I thought it immediately ended our hopes of an at-large bid. Under the circumstances I thought Ford did a hell of job quickly adjusting - Yuri obviously took on a bigger role, nearly doubled his scoring and led the country in assists, Jimmer made a big step forward and added versatility to his scoring game - more back door cuts and got to the line a lot; Fred really improved as the season progressed and so did Okoro after shaking off some rust after sitting out a full season.

We entered February at least being mentioned on the Tourney bubble, that's a heck of an accomplishment, especially when compared to board darling Mark Schmidt. His experienced team entered the season as a favorite to earn an at-large bid, but following a December swoon, his team was never in the conversation the rest of the season to earn a tourney bid. And his team faced no injury adversity, they simply underachieved in a big way.

Now, with all that being said, if this year's team has good health and doesn't make some noise, then Ford will certainly deserve a lot of scrutiny.

drkelsey55 and slufanskip like this