2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OT, so apologies. Wasn't sure where to put this.

Chicago State is an independent this year and will play a total of 8 home games, including 1 against Division III, 2 against NAIA, and 1 against USCAA opponents.

If a team plays limited home games, with few even remotely appealing home opponents (I count two, IUPUI and Valpo, which is generous), doesn't benefit from a conference's broadcast deal, conference tournament, and automatic bid, and their student athletes are constantly on the road, what is the point of clinging to DI status?

2 hours ago, Compton said:

Chicago State is an independent this year and will play a total of 8 home games, including 1 against Division III, 2 against NAIA, and 1 against USCAA opponents.

If a team plays limited home games, with few even remotely appealing home opponents (I count two, IUPUI and Valpo, which is generous), doesn't benefit from a conference's broadcast deal, conference tournament, and automatic bid, and their student athletes are constantly on the road, what is the point of clinging to DI status?

I think they're just hoping to get lucky with a desperate conference needing numbers. Not sure which conference that would be at this point, though. They can't go too far - the WAC was a real strain in terms of travel and a school struggling financially couldn't make it work any longer. The conferences that seem the most vulnerable are all too far south, west, or east. The OVC is back to 10 with new D-I programs Lindenwood and Southern Indiana. The Horizon doesn't want or need CSU, nor does the Summit.

When the MEAC - which only has 8 programs at this point, all fellow HBCUs - rejected CSU, it started to feel like the school hitting the last stretch before the inevitable drop from D-I.

A drop to a lower division feels inevitable. The GLVC in D-II would probably be their best case scenario but that tends to be a well performing league that has been a launchpad for a few programs to D-I. I guess D-III is possible but conference affiliation is going to be a challenge for a school that has been performing poorly financially, academically, and athletically for so long. Maybe it's back to NAIA for them. Or maybe the school folds soon. It's a sad situation but enrollment is down by more than half over the last decade or so.

Hartford is the only other independent this season as the school transitions down to D-III.

8 hours ago, Compton said:

They get paid for all of those games, don't they? A couple of those road games may be home-and-home deals, but mostly it's all about making money for a broke athletic department, isn't it?

I presume that's a lot more lucrative than whatever TV money the lowest of low-major leagues pays out. Those teams, the Arkansas-Pine Bluffs of the world basically don't play any non-conference home games and sometimes play on back to back days at different road sites to make money, like a Saturday night at Indiana and a Sunday afternoon at Ohio State.

I remember reading a day in the life story from one of these super low-majors on ESPN.com years ago. It talked about how they ate at the cheapest places possible, like the team stopped at the $5.99 KFC buffet alongside the interstate after the game. And they didn't even really have an athletic trainer, so the guys weren't getting proper injury treatment.

47 minutes ago, eee123 said:

Those teams, the Arkansas-Pine Bluffs of the world basically don't play any non-conference home games and sometimes play on back to back days at different road sites to make money, like a Saturday night at Indiana and a Sunday afternoon at Ohio State.

An example from last season - Prairie View A&M's schedule included:

11/11 - San Francisco (in SF)

11/13 - Michigan (in Washington DC 8pm tip-off)

11/14 - OK State (in Norman 2pm tip-off)

11/15 - Texas Tech (in Lubbock)

11/17 - Grand Canyon U (Phoenix)

So brutal.

10 hours ago, Compton said:

An example from last season - Prairie View A&M's schedule included:

11/11 - San Francisco (in SF)

11/13 - Michigan (in Washington DC 8pm tip-off)

11/14 - OK State (in Norman 2pm tip-off)

11/15 - Texas Tech (in Lubbock)

11/17 - Grand Canyon U (Phoenix)

So brutal.

They are basically the Washington Generals only they generate a bigger paycheck.

8 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I am not really opposed to anything the NCAA or the leagues decide to do, but not every school and or league will make more money.

No one in the NCAA cares if everyone makes more money. The only concern is if the power 5 will make more money

39 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

No one in the NCAA cares if everyone makes more money. The only concern is if the power 5 will make more money

I am aware that, as long as they make more money with the possible addition of the power 5 included, the NCAA could not care less about anyone else. I believe this is true.

However, this is not the case for everyone else. Maybe the time for the NCAA is coming to an end to be followed by a new organization which does care about everyone making money, or at least aims for a more uniform distribution of the money made by collegiate sports. Do I know this is true, no I do not, but I think something like this should happen.

54 minutes ago, Billiken4life5 said:

OT: Does anyone know if SLU is requiring proof of vaccination for games this season?

The myocarditis enhancer is not required for games.  Per SLU's website...

Campus Updates: Fall 2022

We will not be limiting capacity at events, requiring proof of vaccination for campus visitors, implementing physical distancing in our campus spaces, or restricting university-sponsored travel. Details about our layered approach to COVID-19 mitigation can be found in the Safeguards FAQ.

19 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Unless those opposed can show that the NCAA and schools make less money by expanding the tournament, the tournament is expanding.

But the ratio of mid-majors to high majors won't expand.  The committee will make sure of that.  An extra 28 teams will net about 3 more miid-majors.  I guess that's better than nothing.  

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

But the ratio of mid-majors to high majors won't expand.  The committee will make sure of that.  An extra 28 teams will net about 3 more miid-majors.  I guess that's better than nothing.  

I think you might be optimistic, my guess is adding 28 more teams to the tournament will mean 28 more teams from the high majors and 0 more from the mid- majors. I am not a fan of tournament expansion if it leads to 28-25 more teams from the major conferences and 0-3 more from the mid-majors. I just don’t see how to stop it. 

Old guy likes this

7 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I think you might be optimistic, my guess is adding 28 more teams to the tournament will mean 28 more teams from the high majors and 0 more from the mid- majors. I am not a fan of tournament expansion if it leads to 28-25 more teams from the major conferences and 0-3 more from the mid-majors. I just don’t see how to stop it. 

That is overly pessimistic. A rational approach would be to add the next 20 teams ranked in the Net. I would expect that there may be a push to give 2 auto qualifiers to certain conferences, but that may not happen. The interesting question in the future is how this will affect conference alignment by mid-majors. Will more conferences be created with AQ’s? It would be easier early on to get approval for one, for example, if the top half of the A10 wanted to break away.

41 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

That is overly pessimistic. A rational approach would be to add the next 20 teams ranked in the Net. I would expect that there may be a push to give 2 auto qualifiers to certain conferences, but that may not happen. The interesting question in the future is how this will affect conference alignment by mid-majors. Will more conferences be created with AQ’s? It would be easier early on to get approval for one, for example, if the top half of the A10 wanted to break away.

The next 20 spots in NET often include a lot of mid majors, we always seem to fall in that just missed the cut category and there's always groups like groups in there. By my rough count there were a dozen mid majors that would've made the field if the next 20 teams in NET made the field last year so I love that idea.

Instead of 2 AQ's for certain conferences, add the caveat that every conference gets an AQ for their regular season and conference tournament championships, unless the same team wins each. That's the most interesting way to do it and adds incentive to succeed in the regular season. 

30 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

The next 20 spots in NET often include a lot of mid majors, we always seem to fall in that just missed the cut category and there's always groups like groups in there. By my rough count there were a dozen mid majors that would've made the field if the next 20 teams in NET made the field last year so I love that idea.

Instead of 2 AQ's for certain conferences, add the caveat that every conference gets an AQ for their regular season and conference tournament championships, unless the same team wins each. That's the most interesting way to do it and adds incentive to succeed in the regular season. 

The committee already skips over deserving major teams to pick lower rated high majors.  Every year we see high majors with NET rankings in the 50s or worse get into the tournament.  Why would the committee strictly adhere to NET rankings when it comes to expansion?