Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Franck Kepnang, 6'10", 208 pound four-star sophomore is also transferring out of Oregon.  I know we were inthe recruiting hunt for him two years back.  A second Okoro maybe?

16 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Hype, what hype is there in this board at this time of the year?

Aside from the fact that we’re winning it all next year, what hype are you talking about?

Old guy likes this

32 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Franck Kepnang, 6'10", 208 pound four-star sophomore is also transferring out of Oregon.  I know we were inthe recruiting hunt for him two years back.  A second Okoro maybe?

We offered him very early on and weren't really a contender down the stretch. Then again, most transfers we end up with aren't guys we were involved with in the first place so who knows. Kepnang's production at Oregon through two seasons was similar to Okoro's. I think probably any objections to the fit would be similar to those raised regarding Bradford.

54 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

My semi-realistic best case transfer/recruiting scenario assuming Nesbitt is gone:

1. Eric Williams Jr (Oregon) - starting PF
  2. Davion Bradford (K State) - backup C
  3. Demarcus Sharp (MO State) - backup PG / combo guard
  4. Connor Turnbull (Ft Zumwalt North) - backup / development big

Bradford has 3 years of eligibility left.  Doubt Turnbull wants the possibility to be 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart for three years. https://247sports.com/college/kansas-state/Article/Kansas-State-basketball-transfers-Kaosi-Ezeagu-Davion-Bradford-Maximus-Edwards-185725612/Amp/

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm still waiting on the rationale for why hometown kids who didn't pick us in the first place would want to drop down a level and be backup bigs.

So you're suggesting the staff shouldn't even inquire?

Drop down in level from league sure, but not a drop in the quality of team he would be moving to.

Adman and Bay Area Billiken like this

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

Drop down in level from league sure, but not a drop in the quality of team he would be moving to.

Agree.  SLU was better than K-State and better than Butler last season and will be better than both of those teams next season too. The chance to DANCE next year ..... I say better at SLU in the short-term for sure.

1 minute ago, WVBilliken said:

Agree.  SLU was better than K-State and better than Butler last season and will be better than both of those teams next season too. The chance to DANCE next year ..... I say better at SLU in the short-term for sure.

SLU is popping up in some 2022-23 preseason Top 25 polls already. Is it ridiculous that some members of the media are even putting these out this early? - of course - but it can't hurt in the recruiting pitch that some folks on the national scene are recognizing the potential of the team. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

My semi-realistic best case transfer/recruiting scenario assuming Nesbitt is gone:

1. Eric Williams Jr (Oregon) - starting PF
  2. Davion Bradford (K State) - backup C
  3. Demarcus Sharp (MO State) - backup PG / combo guard
  4. Connor Turnbull (Ft Zumwalt North) - backup / development big

I would much rather have Bradford or Turnbull for multiple years as opposed to Williams. I don't think you could land both Bradford and Turnbull with playing time concerns. In realistic terms, the #1 big you bring in is going to be the only one who can expect consistent playing time next year. I think the back-up PG you bring in will get even less time than DeAndre did this year because with Perkins back, you'd have the ability to let him bring the ball down on occasion ala Nesbitt this year.

Jimerson, Parker, Hargrove, Yuri, Javonte, Thatch, Okoro, + New Big.

I'm not sure Ford is going to go much deeper than eight. I'd shoot for another impact big and then look for DeAndre-types for back-up PG and back-up forward, particularly if Ford is going to stick with one big rotations.

20 minutes ago, ACE said:

Yep. A chance to play for preseason Top 25 team? Most definitely.

31 minutes ago, ACE said:

That's logical.  Not sure how convincing it is to young men who bypassed good mid-major teams to play for bad high-majors.  But it's logical.

I see a few reasons Bradford might want to come to SLU

1. Home

2. Better team with a better shot to dance

3. Minutes available - Though we may think he'd play behind Okoro, he may not. He may believe he's good enough to be the 25 mpg game and Okoro gets fewer minutes. 

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's logical.  Not sure how convincing it is to young men who bypassed good mid-major teams to play for bad high-majors.  But it's logical.

Also, we would have to sell him on being a back-up for one year (although an important role with good minutes) and then be the likely starter two years after that.

If that doesn't appeal to him, then on to the next one. I trust Ford will get a quality player in that role.

36 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

I would much rather have Bradford or Turnbull for multiple years as opposed to Williams. I don't think you could land both Bradford and Turnbull with playing time concerns. In realistic terms, the #1 big you bring in is going to be the only one who can expect consistent playing time next year. I think the back-up PG you bring in will get even less time than DeAndre did this year because with Perkins back, you'd have the ability to let him bring the ball down on occasion ala Nesbitt this year.

I'm not sure Ford is going to go much deeper than eight. I'd shoot for another impact big and then look for DeAndre-types for back-up PG and back-up forward, particularly if Ford is going to stick with one big rotations.

Respectfully disagree. Williams is the only realistic one that makes us better relative to last year rather than just filling a hole (clip that off)

Bradford also does as well to a lesser extent

11 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Respectfully disagree. Williams is the only realistic one that makes us better rather than just filling a hole (clip that off)

Right.  SLU needs, and has needed, a starting level PF since the Majerus  days.  That is what makes next year's team elite.  Would love a Cody Ellis type to go with Okoro  ......

48 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

It would be interesting if Ford had the added choices of Turnbull and Bradford how the lineup would look.  Would he play 2 bigs, possibly.

Turnbull could play a stretch 4 and Bradford subs Okoro.

Turnbull is a different type of player than Bradford and Okoro.

Okoro is a senior and so is Perkins so there is lots of playing time in the future if they earn it.

All of these transfers have to worry about earning playing time not about who else is coming, just beat the other player out.

3 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Right.  SLU needs, and has needed, a starting level PF since the Majerus  days.  That is what makes next year's team elite.  Would love a Cody Ellis type to go with Okoro  ......

Is Williams a PF? Looks like a big guard, small forward to me