Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think playing for Beard isn’t for everyone.  He might be the best coach in the game right now, but I think He is sort of like playing for Majerus in some ways.  It isn’t for everyone.

Yep that is the knock on him, Tre Mitchell left for "personal reasons" late season.  I do think Beard is very much like Majerus or a little Bobby Knight too, who he was associate HC for at TTU.  He is very demanding, and very detailed in practice.  However, 1 thing he does so well is play the marketing game to fans/students.  He "paid" for a pre-game party for the students food trucks, bands and pep rally then walked students to the arena.  He brought in the college Jeopardy champ, he brought in this hyped student from the student section and highlighted him as fan of the game with the team.  He's great in that way but if you don't play his way, he's going to move on.

I never heard that Ramey had issues with Beard, I think he just wants to be the primary ball handler and he wasn't going to be at Texas.  If he came to SLU, I think he would dominate the A10.  But I don't know how'd it look with him YC, Perkins, Gibson.  I guess Ramey, Collins would/could both be on court same time splitting ball handling duties then go small line up with GJ and JP and FO underneath.  That would be a line up and a great problem to have deciding who gets the rock.

brianstl likes this

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought ramey was entering the draft?   i didnt think he was headed to the transfer portal.   

11 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Ramey move is surprising me. At Texas Marcus Carr (primary PG) is likely gone.  A. Jones (SG) is gone.  Devin Askew (UK) transfer did emerge late in the year as a solid ball handler.

247 staff thinks Ramey is headed somewhere to be a primary PG.  SLU already has that but damn Ramey is so good and he would immediately be the best defender in the conference.

Ramey scored 9.8 points, grabbed 3.5 rebounds, and dished out 1.8 per game while shooting nearly 40 percent from the field. 
I thought he was good with Beard but maybe with Askew emergence and Arterio Morris #2 PG in the nation coming in he felt he wouldn't get his shot at PG.

I'd welcome him with open arms.  When big names were hinted at a few days ago I was hoping Ramey but honestly thought he was staying as there have been no whispers.

I watch a decent amount of Texas' games because of Courtney, and I always find myself wondering why he stayed. Its not a knock on Texas, its just weird to me and I can figure out why its off. 

I'm not sure its because Texas always used so many guards, or maybe it was strange that every guard the past 4 years were all practically built the same exact way. Not sure, it always felt he needed a place with less guards. 

43 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I watch a decent amount of Texas' games because of Courtney, and I always find myself wondering why he stayed. Its not a knock on Texas, its just weird to me and I can figure out why its off. 

I'm not sure its because Texas always used so many guards, or maybe it was strange that every guard the past 4 years were all practically built the same exact way. Not sure, it always felt he needed a place with less guards. 

The Rameys made a mistake in prioritizing the status of the program over fit.  They should have been looking for a mid-level high major program looking for a point guard from the start: Oklahoma, Maryland, Notre Dame, Seton Hall, etc.

billiken_roy and SLU_Nick like this

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The Rameys made a mistake in prioritizing the status of the program over fit.  They should have been looking for a mid-level high major program looking for a point guard from the start: Oklahoma, Maryland, Notre Dame, Seton Hall, etc.

Agreed. 

I'm not sure it was status of program over fit maybe the coach for Ramey.  He was recruited by Smart then Beard was hired and he stayed.  Maryland, ND and SHU are equal/higher than Texas BB status.  But there's other possible reasons too, Texas is a great school in a great town.

So would SLU be a good fit?

I think even with Perkins, Ramey would be the best player.

I thought Ramey was going to bolt when the writing was on the wall for Shaka. 

4 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm not sure it was status of program over fit maybe the coach for Ramey.  He was recruited by Smart then Beard was hired and he stayed.  Maryland, ND and SHU are equal/higher than Texas BB status.  But there's other possible reasons too, Texas is a great school in a great town.

Best payer because you combine offense + defense right? He's decent on offense but elite on defense. practically the exact opposite as Perkins. 

Ramey could easily work here. He would get 10 minutes playing Point, and could get 20+ at CG.  We would most definitely be a tournament team, probably even a pretty good seed. 

But again, he may want to continue in a P5 as a main PG, his chances of pro as a CG isnt as good. 

2 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I think Ramey had a great career. He scored 1,275 points averaging 10 ppg with the longhorns. That doesn't scream bad fit to me. I just think his coach left, he decided to stay another year, and now he's moving on.

If Ramey would have gone to any of the other programs I mentioned, he would have averaged 15 and 5 and would be pursuing a pro career by now.  Top 50 players at Texas are a dime a dozen.

cgeldmacher likes this

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Best payer because you combine offense + defense right? He's decent on offense but elite on defense. practically the exact opposite as Perkins. 

Ramey could easily work here. He would get 10 minutes playing Point, and could get 20+ at CG.  We would most deff be a tournament team, probably even a pretty good seed. 

But again, he may want to continue in a P5 as a main PG, his chances of pro as a CG isnt as good. 

Yes best all around player.  The BXII defenses were legit this year and Texas offense struggled.  Put him against A10 players/defenses on SLU's league leading offense and he's scoring 15+PPG, more RPG and maybe more APG plus complete lockdown D on the opposing 1-4 (most A10 4s).

brianstl likes this

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yes best all around player.  The BXII defenses were legit this year and Texas offense struggled.  Put him against A10 players/defenses on SLU's league leading offense and he's scoring 15+PPG, more RPG and maybe more APG plus complete lockdown D on the opposing 1-4 (most A10 4s).

His defense in the game against Agbaji was insane.

33 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Ramey does everything well.  He is one of the most complete guards at the college level.  He would be the best all-around college guard in the conference.  I don't think he is considering SLU, but he would be the perfect fit for what we need.

46 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I disagree with this. Ramey is an elite defender but he’s limited offensively. He doesn’t shoot the 3 great or finish great. I know it’s a big step down in competition but I’ve also watched a lot and I don’t believe it’s great D that holds back his offensive game it’s his skill set. He’s very inefficient offensively and I don’t think that would change that much. I’m not saying Fred is Ramey but he does have the ability to provide a Ramey like skill set even if a little lite

22 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I disagree with this. Ramey is an elite defender but he’s limited offensively. He doesn’t shoot the 3 great or finish great. I know it’s a big step down in competition but I’ve also watched a lot and I don’t believe it’s great D that holds back his offensive game it’s his skill set. He’s very inefficient offensively and I don’t think that would change that much. I’m not saying Fred is Ramey but he does have the ability to provide a Ramey like skill set even if a little lite

If you think Ramey is inefficient at the P5 level, you should have seen Isabell.

30 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The only guard on the Billikens last season that has a higher career effective fg% than Ramey is Jimerson.  Ramey's career number is built against much better competition.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

The only guard on the Billikens last season that has higher career effective fg% than Ramey is Jimerson.  Ramey's career number is built against much better competition.

FG% would probably increase by 4-6% in the A10

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

SLU has apparently reached out to Carlton Linguard from K-State.

not a lot on the kid, but he's 7'0" and made 4-11 from 3 this past season... If he can defend and rebound, he wouldn't be a bad backup to Francis.

9 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

not a lot on the kid, but he's 7'0" and made 4-11 from 3 this past season... If he can defend and rebound, he wouldn't be a bad backup to Francis.

I want Ford to be looking for Bigs where Okoro is the back up.  Recruit higher than what you got!

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

I want Ford to be looking for Bigs where Okoro is the back up.  Recruit higher than what you got!

I am sure he is... but given Okoro will be on a pre season all a-10 list (probably second team or honorable mention), that'll be hard to realistically pull

19 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

If he doesn’t do ‘The Carlton’ during games, it would be a huge disappointment.

Probably not, but, now that you mention it, I know what the student section will be doing every time he makes a basket or blocks a shot.

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So some MBM's think this guy isn't good enough for the Billikens??

two separate illini friends of mine both said he's a team liability. I don't watch them, so I don't know if this is skill or locker room issue, but Im good if its either of those.