Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

30 minutes ago, Marlow said:

A number of successful coaches employ that stylle: Pitino, Leonard Hamilton, and Bill Self doesn’t press, but athletic players are lightening quick on offense.

Would that be the Pitino and Hamilton led teams that averaged less ppg than SLU this year. 

SLU's problem wasn't not being athletic enough or not using it's athleticism offensively. It was an offense that was too dependent on Yuri creating everything. But even with that said the main issue for SLU imo was too many defensive lapses and inconsistent defense. 

Though SLU had a couple of athletes that could have played more up tempo with the best teams, they were not skilled enough and couldn't handle the ball well enough to actually execute at the level needed. In addition we didn't have enough of them. Neither, Williams, Jones, or Thatch were that level of athletic. We had 3 that may have been ... Strickland and Hargrove can't handle the ball well enough and Nesbitt wasn't there yet and imo lacked good decision making with the ball. What do we then do with GJim and Martin for example? 

Of course Ford tries to recruit high level athletes that may not have great fundamentals yet. I don't want him to quit doing it either. The fact is many still won't develop the those fundamentals but when you have athleticism like Hargrove or Strickland you have to try. They may end up moving on if it doesn't work, so be it

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Right.  SLU needs, and has needed, a starting level PF since the Majerus  days.  That is what makes next year's team elite.  Would love a Cody Ellis type to go with Okoro  ......

This. After watching last night’s game we cannot get far with a front court of 6’9”, 6’6”, and 6’4” unless those guys are snipers. 6’9” and 6’8” is a competitive front court. 

slufanskip and Zink like this

Looking back on our recent transfers from D1 programs Travis has done a pretty good job. 
Bess came from a blue blood major where he got some minutes. Then exploded at SLU. Best he’s done. 
Isabel came via a major to a lower mid where he was a top scorer. Then upped to a high mid and, after a while, became a key contributor. 
Okoro from a part time starter at a big time Major and came on to be a big contributor last season. 
Linssen from two lower mids to a high mid where he was a valuable contributor for two years. 
Nesbitt from a major after one semester to showing us great potential but whose future is now unknown. 
Jones from a low mid to being a decent fill in for Yurimania. 
He kind of missed on Weaver and Williams. Anthony was a roster flller. 
Overall, I’d say his grade in the  transfer pool is an A-. Given this record, I’d expect he’ll fill out the roster with some a couple of solid contributors. 

35 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Looking back on our recent transfers from D1 programs Travis has done a pretty good job. 
Bess came from a blue blood major where he got some minutes. Then exploded at SLU. Best he’s done. 
Isabel came via a major to a lower mid where he was a top scorer. Then upped to a high mid and, after a while, became a key contributor. 
Okoro from a part time starter at a big time Major and came on to be a big contributor last season. 
Linssen from two lower mids to a high mid where he was a valuable contributor for two years. 
Nesbitt from a major after one semester to showing us great potential but whose future is now unknown. 
Overall, I’d say his grade in the  transfer pool is an A-. Given this record, I’d expect he’ll fill out the roster with some a couple of solid contributors. 

Did he get Ash Yacoubou from Nova too or was that Crews?

As many have echoed, to think Travis won’t bring in more talent means you don’t know our coach

6 hours ago, Marlow said:

Williams, Jones, Strickland, Traore, Hargrove.  I’d even put Fred in that group. These guys are are athletes who I feel would be more effective in a wide open game.

Traore DNP last  game. other 4 played 64 minutes netting 15 points. average that for 200 minutes your team will average less than 47 points a game.

11 hours ago, slu72 said:

I respectfully disagree about Tay Weaver being a miss because Weavers and Jones numbers are close.  Jones is a better player but I would be happy if Ford can land another Tay Weaver.

Weaver stats, played in 31 games, averaged 16 minutes shot 38 percent overall, made 35 3 pointers for 34 percent, 7-9 from the line, averaged 1.6 rebounds, 27 assists to 12 turnovers, 15 steals, scored 140 points averaging 4.5 per game.

Jones stats, played in 34 games averaging 15 minutes per game, shot 40 percent overall, made 25 3 pointers for 38 percent, 25-28 from the line, 1.5 rebounds,  scored 136 points averaging 4 a game, 46 assists to 22 turnovers and 20 steals.

The biggest difference of the 2 players is free throws and assists and it was not close.

4 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I respectfully disagree about Tay Weaver being a miss because Weavers and Jones numbers are close.  Jones is a better player but I would be happy if Ford can land another Tay Weaver.

Weaver stats, played in 31 games, averaged 16 minutes shot 38 percent overall, made 35 3 pointers for 34 percent, 7-9 from the line, averaged 1.6 rebounds, 27 assists to 12 turnovers, 15 steals, scored 140 points averaging 4.5 per game.

Jones stats, played in 34 games averaging 15 minutes per game, shot 40 percent overall, made 25 3 pointers for 38 percent, 25-28 from the line, 1.5 rebounds,  scored 136 points averaging 4 a game, 46 assists to 22 turnovers and 20 steals.

The biggest difference of the 2 players is free throws and assists and it was not close.

No argument. Although, given that Weaver came from a P5 program the expectations were higher than those for Jones. I’ll also add that I think the biggest letdown player was Williams. At least he was for me. That video of his game against MSU really sold me that he’d be a big deal here. 

20 minutes ago, slu72 said:

No argument. Although, given that Weaver came from a P5 program the expectations were higher than those for Jones. I’ll also add that I think the biggest letdown player was Williams. At least he was for me. That video of his game against MSU really sold me that he’d be a big deal here. 

Weaver came from Eastern Kentucky

21 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I foolishly thought Williams would be another Isabell and when I mentioned that on the board I was told before the season started from smart posters on this site that was not going to happen, Isabell was a much better player.

Williams will go down as one of the biggest misses.  Williams had no shame about chucking that ball when he got his chance on the floor.  I knew I was wrong about Williams when he missed the easiest of layups standing under the basket right in front of me at a home game.

25 minutes ago, slu72 said:

see i disagree.   the first time i saw williams he looked a step slow and no doubt selfish.   i felt he was always looking to score first, which would be fine if he made shots.   but he never really made a lot of shots.   

SShoe likes this

Just now, billiken_roy said:

see i disagree.   the first time i saw williams he looked a step slow and no doubt selfish.   i felt he was always looking to score first, which would be fine if he made shots.   but he never really made a lot of shots.   

An understatement of never really making any shots, lol.  Williams was really bad and I am a poor evaluator of talent.

17 minutes ago, CBFan said:

An understatement of never really making any shots, lol.  Williams was really bad and I am a poor evaluator of talent.

exactly.   i will admit unseen i was excited for him coming and expected big things.   the first time i saw him i had a flashback to the first time i saw ricky cranford who spoon had told us would make us forget Larry Hughes.   he was a huge disappointment as well. 

CBFan likes this

3 hours ago, JettFlight5 said:

That was Dion Wiley. 

I think I had a post in the last couple weeks - I think Ford bet on Wiley's health and we just never got a healthy Wiley. Could have served a huge purpose with that team too.

When you look back at wins/losses with transfers, he was probably a loss stat-wise, but he hit two huge threes down the stretch vs Bona in Brooklyn in 2019 (the second being during that 12-0 run where we took the lead late-ish) and that alone at last gets him to a wash

56 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I think I had a post in the last couple weeks - I think Ford bet on Wiley's health and we just never got a healthy Wiley. Could have served a huge purpose with that team too.

When you look back at wins/losses with transfers, he was probably a loss stat-wise, but he hit two huge threes down the stretch vs Bona in Brooklyn in 2019 (the second being during that 12-0 run where we took the lead late-ish) and that alone at last gets him to a wash

I never thought Wiley was a bust he contributed as you have pointed out.

Low risk high reward if Wiley's health could have been better he would have been a heck of a player.

I think as far as transfers Williams will hold the crown for the biggest disappointment based on his career scoring average.

SLU_Lax likes this

Agree on Wiley.  It was a great gamble.  If healthy, he could be dominant.  If not fully healthy, he could still bea  role player like he was.  He still filled a need for the team as a rotation guy with limited minutes.

Incidentally, I also think Anthony was far from a bust.  He gave us a solid big for practice.  He was a great third big from the bench in times we needed a stopgap for a few minutes.  He was a great teammate.  If we pick up one more solid big to back-up (or start ahead of) Okoro, I would not mind an Anthony 2.0 at all.  Everyone has a role and when people are comfortable in the role it can make a big difference.

3 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

These two are going to have an awesome seat to watch some NCAA tournament games!

So Maryland to Rhode Island ( they sat out one year and played one year? Or did they play 2? I can't even remember) then to Arkansas. 

Ya I don't see them contributing much but I've been wrong before. 

I think they both can be effective if used properly. It seemed as if motivation, or lack thereof, played a major part in why it didn't pan out at Rhodey. Going to the consensus number one team in the country next year could certainly help with that.