Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

7 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

If this is all true and this is why three players' entire futures got railroaded, then dear God.

Donors/boosters/BoT need to get their arses in gear. Fred Pestello shouldn't be allowed to just let this slide and hope that everything blows over. Lives have been destroyed, and for what??

If Mike McManus has his facts right, this was a witch hunt that resulted in 3 guys getting burned at the stake, and the fourth unduly tarnished. SLU better get out the checkbook and start looking for a competent President.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If Mike McManus has his facts right, this was a witch hunt that resulted in 3 guys getting burned at the stake, and the fourth unduly tarnished. SLU better get out the checkbook and start looking for a competent President.

This is the kind of story worth being covered by our friends at The Atlantic or the Washington Post. I'm sure they'll be digging into this when all of the information is made public. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

while the "clicks" for his commission for oritz is a concern, i am more concerned of the casual sports fan that doesnt follow the true story like we do that will be greatly mislead by what he writes never knowning that there was no title IX fault or sexual assault by the players and that coach ford did not wrecklessly recruit criminals as ortiz insinuates.   we criticize this azzhat for that reason.   

i sit very close to the goodwin's at the games, and i remember ortiz fawning all over them the night that he interviewed them for his column at the beginning of the season.   to come back later as he now has and tear into the players is so wrong.   and while he likely doesnt care what we think or say about his very low class column, he sure made me feel a whole lot better to point out to him personally how wrong he is.  

I agree Roy I check to see what is being said and those that are not informed about S2 get the truth from the commenters.  11 comments that a debunk the article.

If the post likes these types of clicks then they will be out of business, fake news does not sell in the end.

Thank you for sending the E-mail to the post.

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

pistol, none of the bush's are conservatives.    republicans yes, but in the last 20 years there has become a great difference between conservatives and republicans.  

Regardless, "unrelenting liberals" would never choose that as a header. But I'll switch it back to the subject at hand, to steer us clear of politics.

Ortiz is a coward and a bad writer who completely biffed this piece. This is exactly what I feared would happen when the decision came in, that the local press would swoop in and completely muddy the waters even further because they're not up to the task of writing about this with nuance.

Zink and gobillikens13 like this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

while the "clicks" for his commission for oritz is a concern, i am more concerned of the casual sports fan that doesnt follow the true story like we do that will be greatly mislead by what he writes never knowning that there was no title IX fault or sexual assault by the players and that coach ford did not wrecklessly recruit criminals as ortiz insinuates.   we criticize this azzhat for that reason.   

i sit very close to the goodwin's at the games, and i remember ortiz fawning all over them the night that he interviewed them for his column at the beginning of the season.   to come back later as he now has and tear into the players is so wrong.   and while he likely doesnt care what we think or say about his very low class column, he sure made me feel a whole lot better to point out to him personally how wrong he is.  

No, I agree with you 100% Clearly the Post isn't concerned about that.

24 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

This is the kind of story worth being covered by our friends at The Atlantic or the Washington Post. I'm sure they'll be digging into this when all of the information is made public. 

I think they'll be too busy covering the MSU story. SLU's small potatoes to them. However, a really good investigative reporter at the PD should delve into this thing. Now, whether they have a good investigative reporter on their staff is another story. And you have to worry that any PD article about SLU might well be slanted because it's being written by a Mizzery grad. All that said, someone at SLU should be in contact w/ the PD asking for a complete retraction of Ortiz's piece of garbage. Even fish would object to being wrapped in that hit job.

4 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Go away. You have no interest in anything but trashing SLU players. You are one sick person...........

It warms my heart to see more people coming around to see what "coach" is all about. Hopefully his posts will continue to rack up negative points and he gets the Tilk treatment.

I tried to ask Ortiz on twitter  about his basis for saying that Goodwin violated the Title IX policy, but no response, so I reported the tweet linking the article as targeted harassment. 

I'm not going to follow his chat today, but I'd recommend that someone civilly ask him to explain the basis for his lazy column.

Ortiz is a complete hack.  SLU doesn't have a Title IX policy that applies to students.  Students can not violate Title IX.  Only educational institutions that receive federal funds can violate Title IX.  Schools like SLU implement policies and procedures to try to avoid violating Title IX.  Schools, also, make sure existing policy like SLU's  "Sexual Misconduct Policy" conforms to the current Title IX guidance.  SLU doesn't have any published policy with "Title IX" anywhere in the title of the policy that a student can acknowledge violating. 

Also, Goodwin's statement yesterday doesn't acknowledge violating SLU's "Sexual Misconduct Policy"

DeSmetBilliken likes this

You guys are all operating under the mistaken impression that someone, anyone cares about any Ortiz column.  Just forget about it and you will be like every other Post Dispatch reader who is not connected to SLU.  Ortiz' biggest problem is that he is a bad writer, and the fact that he is a columnist at the Post is an indication that their standards have gone way, way down.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

a mike mcmanus reply to ortiz (great overall view of the everything.  this entire thread could be deleted and mike's response replace it.  i dont know if mike posts at billikens.com but i wish he did!):

"Barf......what a load of nonsense. Fake news or perhaps fake opinion would be more appropriate. Completely uninformed and of course what little you do have right you've twisted to fit your worldview. Comparing this situation to Penn State, MSU or Baylor is idiotic..........Duke lacrosse is a more apt comparison.

Goodwin is not suspended for a title ix violation.......he's suspended for violating school rules. He and his gf were there but abstained from the activities and distanced themselves from it so he's only in trouble for underage drinking. The girls who audaciously claim to have been
 assaulted were in fact the organizers of the orgy and provided the alcohol and condoms. If they did, in fact, allege rape they should be charged and prosecuted to the limit of the law. They also didn't object when Graves grabbed the sleeping Goodwin's phone and started filming things......it was only when he posted the video online that they suddenly felt violated. But hey....in this day and age of endless victimhood why not throw it out there and see if sycophant writers like yourself won't lap it up?

As they say these days get woke man. These girls LITERALLY asked for it so there are no good guys or girls in this situation...however in jumping on Goodwin you've picked out the least guilty of all the parties involved. The FACT that police declined to file any charges at all on this should have been a major tipoff to you that the facts didn't match the accusations. I realize that the unrelenting liberal ideology that you subscribe to requires you to hammer every male who's accused of the slightest thing regardless of evidence but try to educate yourself a bit so you don't look like such an idiot in doing so!"

If I still lived in St. Louis I'd have to find out what establishment Mike McManus hangs out so I could buy him a drink. He sure seems to know a lot of what happened that evening. The idiot Ortiz has zero credibility and I Never read the garbage he writes.

Edited by Quality Is Job 1

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I think they'll be too busy covering the MSU story. SLU's small potatoes to them. However, a really good investigative reporter at the PD should delve into this thing. Now, whether they have a good investigative reporter on their staff is another story. And you have to worry that any PD article about SLU might well be slanted because it's being written by a Mizzery grad. All that said, someone at SLU should be in contact w/ the PD asking for a complete retraction of Ortiz's piece of garbage. Even fish would object to being wrapped in that hit job.

I completely agree that a good investigative reporter should do a deeper dive on this story, but who would that even be? That's an honest question, especially for STL locals who might be more in tune with the local sports media landscape. Is there anyone in town who'd be up to the task? I don't get the impression that there is.

Once someone does a deeper dive into the story, I think most of their questions would start to center around SLU's process, findings, and decisions. Not that the school is going to ever address any of those questions, but they're at least more compelling than the open-ended questions Ortiz came up with regarding Goodwin and Ford.

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

If there's one thing damn near every STL sports fan can agree on, it's that Ortiz sucks.  I've never come across anyone who has even a modicum of respect for him.

So, if we're gonna get trashed by someone, at least it was by the guy who everyone hates.

This.

It's amazing to find anything that people agree on today but here it is....Ortiz is a hack.

HenryB likes this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

a mike mcmanus reply to ortiz (great overall view of the everything.  this entire thread could be deleted and mike's response replace it.  i dont know if mike posts at billikens.com but i wish he did!):

"Barf......what a load of nonsense. Fake news or perhaps fake opinion would be more appropriate. Completely uninformed and of course what little you do have right you've twisted to fit your worldview. Comparing this situation to Penn State, MSU or Baylor is idiotic..........Duke lacrosse is a more apt comparison.

Goodwin is not suspended for a title ix violation.......he's suspended for violating school rules. He and his gf were there but abstained from the activities and distanced themselves from it so he's only in trouble for underage drinking. The girls who audaciously claim to have been
 assaulted were in fact the organizers of the orgy and provided the alcohol and condoms. If they did, in fact, allege rape they should be charged and prosecuted to the limit of the law. They also didn't object when Graves grabbed the sleeping Goodwin's phone and started filming things......it was only when he posted the video online that they suddenly felt violated. But hey....in this day and age of endless victimhood why not throw it out there and see if sycophant writers like yourself won't lap it up?

As they say these days get woke man. These girls LITERALLY asked for it so there are no good guys or girls in this situation...however in jumping on Goodwin you've picked out the least guilty of all the parties involved. The FACT that police declined to file any charges at all on this should have been a major tipoff to you that the facts didn't match the accusations. I realize that the unrelenting liberal ideology that you subscribe to requires you to hammer every male who's accused of the slightest thing regardless of evidence but try to educate yourself a bit so you don't look like such an idiot in doing so!"

This McManus guy wins the internet today.

Edited by Quality Is Job 1

9 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

Unfortunately the only criticism that he'll read is "I should have you deported". So in his mind only angry white racist disagree with him.

This is probably true. Those kind of comments aren't helping. Just be straight with him: 'You got it wrong, and here's why.'

Edit: Not saying anyone from here was the P-D commenter, as local newspaper commenters are usually the worst people on earth and these kind of comments are inevitable.

Billiken Rich likes this

6 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Who knows of underage drinking violations on campus and the usual punishment?

Our freshmen RA made us pour a dozen Natty’s down the sink as he watched one time.. wild move not just keeping them for himself.. 

edit: also have taken said class. think our entire fraternity had to after beers were found in the DeMatt chapter room