Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

So let me get this straight, Ortiz, the guy who wrote an obituary about Cardinal Bernard Law where there was actual evidence that he covered up years of rape and molestation of children wrote an article saying SLU is putting it's basketball players ahead of keeping the campus safe when he has no idea what actually happened?  Honestly can you be any worse of a columnist.  

Spoon-Balls and dlarry like this

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

So let me get this straight, Ortiz, the guy who wrote an obituary about Cardinal Bernard Law where there was actual evidence that he covered up years of rape and molestation of children wrote an article saying SLU is putting it's basketball players ahead of keeping the campus safe when he has no idea what actually happened?  Honestly can you be any worse of a columnist.  

Good point.  I had forgot about his love affair with Chester the Molester. Someone with Twitter or Facebook stltoday commenting powers needs to remind him of this.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I refuse to give a click to Ortiz, but does the article actually say Goodwin violated Title IX?

Goodwin now acknowledges that he violated the school’s Title IX policy during the incident in question, so one must wonder if he and the SLU basketball program ran the clock out as long as possible as the star freshman led the Billikens while the other three players were not allowed to play.

7 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Goodwin now acknowledges that he violated the school’s Title IX policy during the incident in question, so one must wonder if he and the SLU basketball program ran the clock out as long as possible as the star freshman led the Billikens while the other three players were not allowed to play.

I forgot the main pillar of journalism “make assumptions based on rumor and innuendo.“

By the way, going into this season the general thought was that AH would be our top scorer so any suggestion from Ortiz or Coach314 or whoever that Goodwin got special treatment because of his player status is so misguided.

Just now, majerus mojo said:

Can someone link the article please

I’d rather not give him the clicks. He mentioned SLU in the same breath as Penn St, Michigan St, and Baylor. He takes Ford to task for saying his goal was to make the program one of the best teams in the country, while omitting that ford also mentioned in the periscope press conference that half of his job is to grow his players as ‘people’. 

It isnt worth anyone’s time. It’s the same lazy hack job crap he tries to pull regularly. He isn’t very smart. He is why print is dying. 

If Ortiz was a real reporter he would dig into the pasts of all four players to find the red flags he is implying Ford missed when he brought them to campus. He probably did some preliminary digging and not finding anything stopped so as not to confirm there was no premise to his statement. Also, no mention in the story that the police investigated and no charges have been filed. Of course, that's not relevant to his story line that a sexual assault occurred. He doesn't want the facts to stand in the way of his story.

slu2016 likes this

11 hours ago, dlarry said:

Now that everything is basically over I think it's time to release the survivors names.

Maybe they can sell their story of survival  to the Lifetime Network. If lifetime doesn't want it they can always call Skin-a-max.

Please use quotes when referring to the "survivors."

dlarry likes this

25 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Jesus, that isn’t what Goodwin acknowledges in his statement 

1 minute ago, kmbilliken said:

If Ortiz was a real reporter he would dig into the pasts of all four players to find the red flags he is implying Ford missed when he brought them to campus. He probably did some preliminary digging and not finding anything stopped so as not to confirm there was no premise to his statement. Also, no mention in the story that the police investigated and no charges have been filed. Of course, that's that relevant to the story line that a sexual assault occurred. He doesn't want the facts to stand in the way of his story.

If this were written about Latino players guarantee he would be screaming racism because somebody is accusing them of being criminals and bad people with no evidence.  

In some fairness to Ortiz, which I hate giving, the news yesterday was that Goodwin wasn’t found to have violated the sexual assault policy. Who knows if the school policy Goodwin admitted to violating was the Title IX policy or some other generic policy?

I guess what I’m saying is we can’t be sure that Soft Hands Ortiz’s column contains falsities and is libelous.

But nevertheless, I’m pretty sure I wrote better commentaries in college for the University News.

12 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I’d rather not give him the clicks. He mentioned SLU in the same breath as Penn St, Michigan St, and Baylor. He takes Ford to task for saying his goal was to make the program one of the best teams in the country, while omitting that ford also mentioned in the periscope press conference that half of his job is to grow his players as ‘people’. 

It isnt worth anyone’s time. It’s the same lazy hack job crap he tries to pull regularly. He isn’t very smart. He is why print is dying. 

Yea I had to see it ha. Tweeted at Stu, Ashley Jost, and Ortiz asking what was up with he column. Holding my breath on a rebuttal! The comparisons to those schools are insane 

1 minute ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

In some fairness to Ortiz, which I hate giving, the news yesterday was that Goodwin wasn’t found to have violated the sexual assault policy. Who knows if the school policy Goodwin admitted to violating was the Title IX policy or some other generic policy?

I guess what I’m saying is we can’t be sure that Soft Hands Ortiz’s column contains falsities and is libelous.

But nevertheless, I’m pretty sure I wrote better commentaries in college for the University News.

Are these two different things?

Goodwin, in his own words, "violated University policy."  It is Ortiz' written word that claims he violated the school's Title IX policy which is NOT what Goodwins' statement says.  This is what is said five paragraphs below Goodwin's official statement.  I would offer Ortiz is WRONG.

EDIT:  Now confirmed by Mr. Goodwin's statement to Kilcoyne.  Shoddy journalism.  But SLU's opaque vagueness to this whole situation resulted in the column that came.

2 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

And here :)