CJ Noland Decommits

3 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

My biggest problem with the anti-Ford crowd is the timing. Almost nothing could have gotten Ford fired last season, but it didn’t stop the piling on. All it did was lead to this current malaise. That felt predictable. Sometimes you can’t really win, but you can always lose!

The malaise is due to Ford's record. Not making the postseason many years makes it easy for other teams to recruit against SLU. 

Recruits give zero F's about is posted on a message board. To think so is laughable at best.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

My biggest problem with the anti-Ford crowd is the timing. Almost nothing could have gotten Ford fired last season, but it didn’t stop the piling on. All it did was lead to this current malaise. That felt predictable. Sometimes you can’t really win, but you can always lose!

Yeah def wasn't that loss to SIUE that was the problem it was the fans with the audacity to complain about the loss.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah def wasn't that loss to SIUE that was the problem it was the fans with the audacity to complain about the loss.

Any SLU basketball coach that loses to SIUE should be fired on the spot. It should be a stipulation in every contract.

Going into the season there was no way Ford was going to be fired. He bungled every bit of it and made boosters and fans reconsider his position.

slu72, Bizziken and BilliesBy40 like this

Last season’s expectations had all of us ready to buy tickets for the Sweet 16. Then it all came crashing down. The collapse against SIUE was a wake up call and reinforced the belief that while Ford could recruit talent he couldn’t coach them up. After almost 30 years as a HC one would think Ford would have picked up more than a few ideas how to up a team’s performance. Sadly, he’s not shown that ability anywhere he’s been. We’ll see this season what he’s really made of. I’m not expecting much, but we’ll see. 

Crewsorlose likes this

13 hours ago, slu72 said:

Last season’s expectations had all of us ready to buy tickets for the Sweet 16. Then it all came crashing down. The collapse against SIUE was a wake up call and reinforced the belief that while Ford could recruit talent he couldn’t coach them up. After almost 30 years as a HC one would think Ford would have picked up more than a few ideas how to up a team’s performance. Sadly, he’s not shown that ability anywhere he’s been. We’ll see this season what he’s really made of. I’m not expecting much, but we’ll see. 

Coach them up - heck all he had to do was get them to play at their own level.  He managed to coach them to under perform.  The pre season top 25 predictions were not based on Ford coaching them up but on the talent others saw.  He squandered it and we are all suppose to say - hey no problem he won 20 non signature games so all is well.  After all, 20 wins were good enough in 1980 so why not now? - the world grows/changes and you must do so or else you become irrelevant.  The athletic department and the BOT need to wake up.

Has anyone considered that the last few years have probably been the hardest years to make the tournament in SLU’s history?

1. The A10 is a talented conference, but can only put in 1-2 teams. It would be easier to win a small conference than to win the league or finish second with Dayton, VCU, Davidson, et al. Just consider that the entire conference had NET ratings at or above 100 at the start of conference play. Watching the games, the conference was not that far down from other years.

2. The Mountain West has risen up and stolen bids, amongst others, WCC and CUSA. No one has explained why those conferences have gotten so good. Maybe the landscape has shifted for the long-term.

32 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Coach them up - heck all he had to do was get them to play at their own level.  He managed to coach them to under perform.  The pre season top 25 predictions were not based on Ford coaching them up but on the talent others saw.  He squandered it and we are all suppose to say - hey no problem he won 20 non signature games so all is well.  After all, 20 wins were good enough in 1980 so why not now? - the world grows/changes and you must do so or else you become irrelevant.  The athletic department and the BOT need to wake up.

great post except if the A-10 had not went to hell 20 wins would still be enough to get in.   how many years ago was it a regular occurance to get 3-5 teams in the tourney?    yes ford f'd up.   we should have had to worry about the rest of the conference.  the most underachieving billiken team in my fandom.   however dont minimize bernie part in what our current situation is.   she needs to be the proactive commish that makes sure we are right there in the top 5-6 conferences.   she has failed big time.   imo the one person i want fired first and foremost is Bernadette McGlade.

24 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

So sick of this narrative.  Move on with your blame game, the season's over and Ford is still the coach.  Your repeated constant complaining accomplishes absolutely nothing ...... NOTHING! 

Much of the hype was based on a fully recovered Perkins.  He was less than a "shadow of his former self". Our Bigs were over-rated IMO.  Pickett didn't fully pan out.  Collins was not a leader.  Yes, you can blame the coaching staff partly for these issues.  But bottom line, this roster was never as good as the press clippings.

1 minute ago, WVBilliken said:

So sick of this narrative.  Move on with your blame game, the season's over and Ford is still the coach.  Your repeated constant complaining accomplishes absolutely nothing ...... NOTHING! 

Much of the hype was based on a fully recovered Perkins.  He was less than a "shadow of his former self". Our Bigs were over-rated IMO.  Pickett didn't fully pan out.  Collins was not a leader.  Yes, you can blame the coaching staff partly for these issues.  But bottom line, this roster was never as good as the press clippings.

Ford has acknowledged that, as in recent months he has said that they need to recruit bigger, more athletic players.We’ll see if that’s the case next fall.

My brief take on last year’s talent: 

Perkins- never recovered his old self. 

Collins- too much ME ME ball. Amazing he had as many A’s as he did. But he played with little fire. 

Okoro-regressed from Jr year. I think he was dealing with some emotional issues after his mother passed. 

Pickett- injured I hear. Inconsistent. 

Gibby- Ford never really schemed for him

Fred- losing him hurt 

Forrest- met expectations but no Linssen. 

Parker- under utilized given Perk’s problems. Was his perimeter game oversold?

TJ- Ford never really figured out how to use him. He’s a tweener who lacks handles. 

Legend Jr- pleasant surprise. There were times I thought the team played better with him at the point. 

Overall this team had no idea how to play D. Our D cost us too many games. Especially stopping the 3 ball. I think they assumed  they could just outscore everyone, and D was an afterthought. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

36 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

perkins is the only aspect of your above reply i agree with.   it was obvious early on he wasnt recovered yet.   that said, then why did ford play him.   in hindsight wouldnt we have been far ahead letting parker get more minutes and become acustomed to the higher level of play than jucoland?  maybe he picks up his defensive intensity and prowess sooner with more time? 

bigs were overrated?   well from my seat they both were far more athletic than a lot of bigs we had in billiken history.   so you have to question why those skills were never maxed out?   isnt that "coaching up"? 

pickett didnt pan out?   well who brought him in?   who played him if he wasnt good enough?  again, what if thames and hughes and hargrove would have gotten increased minutes instead of pickett?  

and last, collins was not a leader?   again who put him in that role?  and not only did he designate him the point guard, ford let him horribly try to be "the man"   what we lose like 6 games in the last 7 minutes as everyone watched collins pretend he was allen iverson instead of just the point guard?   he just didnt do that on his own.   or if he did, then shame on ford for letting him play out those disaster finishes. 

sorry, WV last season sure there is blame for the players, but it is ford's jo b to put them in a postition to succeed.   he pulls the strings.   he COACHES the game.   all in all,  ford was a fail.   

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Has anyone considered that the last few years have probably been the hardest years to make the tournament in SLU’s history?

1. The A10 is a talented conference, but can only put in 1-2 teams. It would be easier to win a small conference than to win the league or finish second with Dayton, VCU, Davidson, et al. Just consider that the entire conference had NET ratings at or above 100 at the start of conference play. Watching the games, the conference was not that far down from other years.

2. The Mountain West has risen up and stolen bids, amongst others, WCC and CUSA. No one has explained why those conferences have gotten so good. Maybe the landscape has shifted for the long-term.

This type of mindset is why the AD is so complacent with mediocrity. VCU has made 9 out of the last 11 tournaments. Gotta stop making excuses and feeling sorry for ourselves

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

great post except if the A-10 had not went to hell 20 wins would still be enough to get in.   how many years ago was it a regular occurance to get 3-5 teams in the tourney?    yes ford f'd up.   we should have had to worry about the rest of the conference.  the most underachieving billiken team in my fandom.   however dont minimize bernie part in what our current situation is.   she needs to be the proactive commish that makes sure we are right there in the top 5-6 conferences.   she has failed big time.   imo the one person i want fired first and foremost is Bernadette McGlade.

It’s not Bernadette McGlade’s fault that SLU is an underachieving dog. For once, let’s take responsibility for our f-ups.

48 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

perkins is the only aspect of your above reply i agree with.   it was obvious early on he wasnt recovered yet.   that said, then why did ford play him.   in hindsight wouldnt we have been far ahead letting parker get more minutes and become acustomed to the higher level of play than jucoland?  maybe he picks up his defensive intensity and prowess sooner with more time? 

bigs were overrated?   well from my seat they both were far more athletic than a lot of bigs we had in billiken history.   so you have to question why those skills were never maxed out?   isnt that "coaching up"? 

pickett didnt pan out?   well who brought him in?   who played him if he wasnt good enough?  again, what if thames and hughes and hargrove would have gotten increased minutes instead of pickett?  

and last, collins was not a leader?   again who put him in that role?  and not only did he designate him the point guard, ford let him horribly try to be "the man"   what we lose like 6 games in the last 7 minutes as everyone watched collins pretend he was allen iverson instead of just the point guard?   he just didnt do that on his own.   or if he did, then shame on ford for letting him play out those disaster finishes. 

sorry, WV last season sure there is blame for the players, but it is ford's jo b to put them in a postition to succeed.   he pulls the strings.   he COACHES the game.   all in all,  ford was a fail.   

Great post. I give Ford a pass for Perkins. Past that, he’s the one who put the roster together.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Overall I agree but let me ask you this - if the A10 was so weak then why didn't we finish higher and win more than 20.  I know you are not a Ford apologist but I can't agree that because of the A10 weakness we were cheated out of our invite.  Had the A10 been what they were, we wouldn't have come in 4th or had won 20.

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

It’s not Bernadette McGlade’s fault that SLU is an underachieving dog. For once, let’s take responsibility for our f-ups.

Good point. To be fair, SLU descent from the 2012-2014 glory days has correllated with the A-10's descent from 6 bids to 1 bid. We are a part of the problem...

cheeseman likes this

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

So you are happy with the drastic decline overall of the A-10?   A few years ago the A10 could get 3-5 teams in the tourney because the conference was rated anywhere from 5th -7th in the nation.   Since Bernie took over the conference has been in freefall and now an A-10 team only gets in the tournament if it gets hot in March and wins the conference tourney.  

There's no doubt the Billikens have underachieved.  I think we pretty much all recognize that.   But you need to wake up to the fact that the A10 drastically has regressed now to the point that it really doesnt matter how we or any team in the conference performs throughout the regular season.   They only get in by winning the conference tournament.

I blame Bernie for that.  Her only job is to max out the conference overall.   She hasnt

1 hour ago, DOC said:

The haters are out again. What have you guy’s said here that you already haven’t said a dozen times? I feel like Bill Murray when I come here. 

People who care - aka “the haters” as you call us - will keep complaining until there is meaningful change. History tells us that change will not involve Ford being SLU’s head coach.

24 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

Losing Butler, Temple and X didn't help...

True, but replacing those schools with schools like VCU and Loyola Chicago was honestly the best McGlade could have done considering the landscape. The A-10 schools just need to win. And outside VCU and Dayton (and maybe us and the Bonnies), no one has been able to do that.

1 hour ago, DOC said:

The haters are out again. What have you guy’s said here that you already haven’t said a dozen times? I feel like Bill Murray when I come here. 

If I’m a hater for being concerned about the current roster after the most disappointing season in recent Billiken history, then so be it. Also, I think having three open scholarships and missing an assistant at the beginning of June is a recent development that you conveniently haven’t mentioned

21 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

People who care - aka “the haters” as you call us - will keep complaining until there is meaningful change. History tells us that change will not involve Ford being SLU’s head coach.

You actually think people on this site have any influence at all on Fords status? It’s none. Zippo. And you can’t say recruits aren’t effected by the Ford hate on here and then say we can effect change. You guys have made it clear, your going to run your mouths about this every 15 minutes until the only people on here are the haters. 

7 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

If I’m a hater for being concerned about the current roster after the most disappointing season in recent Billiken history, then so be it. Also, I think having three open scholarships and missing an assistant at the beginning of June is a recent development that you conveniently haven’t mentioned

I agree with your points. I’ve now heard you express them at least 20 times. At least. Do you forget what you post in other threads or do you feel it’s important we hear from you about one subject every 5 minutes?