CJ Noland Decommits

18 minutes ago, DOC said:

You actually think people on this site have any influence at all on Fords status? It’s none. Zippo. And you can’t say recruits aren’t effected by the Ford hate on here and then say we can effect change. You guys have made it clear, your going to run your mouths about this every 15 minutes until the only people on here are the haters. 

Yes I do, and it’s likely not through posting on this site, so at least we can agree on that.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously the negativity re Ford as HC has a corresponding negative effect on recruiting. It puts in the recruits minds doubts about Ford’s future as HC. That said, it is hard feel hopeful about his time here. Just at a time,  ie  possible Beast expansion , when we needed to shed the veil of mediocrity that has covered the program for so many years we seem to be wearing it again. Compare us to VCU. They are on their 3rd coach in the 7 years of Ford’s reign at SLU and have multiple dance invites in that time to our one.  My guess is they will once again top us this upcoming season, as will a lot of A 10 teams. You can’t blame the fan base for being disappointed in his results given the fact he’s the highest paid HC in the conference. Yes, he’s attracted some decent talent but for one reason or another, it’s not produced dance invites. It’s a little like keeping an employee on because he’s never late but at the end of the day he’s produced nothing meaningful. Yes, we should give the negative vibes a rest. Primarily because nothings going to change this year. So, it’s meaningless and can be harmful to recruiting. The time has come to stop beating a dead horse. There will be plenty of time for the whining come next winter. 

billikenbill likes this

This latest posts on Ford was started by Ankiel Breaker with his 6/3/23 at 10:04am post calling out the so called Ford haters.  Those who consider themselves Ford lovers should note that this one was started by apparently a lover.  You want to keep the threads quiet about Ford then I suggest you all stop brining it up.  All it does it get others to respond.  

wgstl likes this

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

perkins is the only aspect of your above reply i agree with.   it was obvious early on he wasnt recovered yet.   that said, then why did ford play him.   in hindsight wouldnt we have been far ahead letting parker get more minutes and become acustomed to the higher level of play than jucoland?  maybe he picks up his defensive intensity and prowess sooner with more time? 

bigs were overrated?   well from my seat they both were far more athletic than a lot of bigs we had in billiken history.   so you have to question why those skills were never maxed out?   isnt that "coaching up"? 

pickett didnt pan out?   well who brought him in?   who played him if he wasnt good enough?  again, what if thames and hughes and hargrove would have gotten increased minutes instead of pickett?  

and last, collins was not a leader?   again who put him in that role?  and not only did he designate him the point guard, ford let him horribly try to be "the man"   what we lose like 6 games in the last 7 minutes as everyone watched collins pretend he was allen iverson instead of just the point guard?   he just didnt do that on his own.   or if he did, then shame on ford for letting him play out those disaster finishes. 

sorry, WV last season sure there is blame for the players, but it is ford's jo b to put them in a postition to succeed.   he pulls the strings.   he COACHES the game.   all in all,  ford was a fail.   

Well then we disagree as I think your synopsis is fatally flawed Roy.  Pickett looked great early on then he got injured and that negatively impacted his game.  The injury is not Ford's fault.  Who knows, if Pickett doesn't get hurt maybe the Bills win a couple of more games and dance.  And play Thames?  Sorry but he was hurt as was Thatch.  Is that the Coach's fault?  I think not.  Play TJH more?  Nope, he seems to be a great young man but he is a defensive liability due to his size and lack of ball-handling skills.  He was not the answer.

The Bigs?  Beg to differ here too.  Okoro obviously had some off-court issue or whatever as one poster stated.  He just wasn't productive.  Other A10 Bigs out-played him.  Remember that first Mason game?  Our Bigs were outplayed severely.

And Collins, well I assumed he was voted as the leader .... he was the captain or co-captain right?  Problem with this squad seemed there wasn't a player or players willing to step up and lead.

So is Ford and staff responsible?  Sure, but you have Perkins never recovered.  Thatch, Pickens and Thames hurt.  Players failed to step up.  I say there is bad luck and blame to spread around to the coaches and players.  But to blame all on Ford?  Nope.

I feel terrible for Perkins. The coaches selling him on returning to college and taking advantage of the free COVID year has ruined his professional opportunities and earnings potential. Really sad to see, but hard for me to let the coaches use him not returning to 100% as an excuse. With a straight face they sold him on the idea that taking advantage of his COVID year and playing a 5th season of college basketball at the age of 23 would somehow improve his draft stock. Now he is soon to be 25 still recovering from a knee injury. I really hope he gets fully healthy and is able to salvage a successful professional playing career overseas. Apparently Team Blue does not include the coaches giving honest advice that is in the best interest of their players, unfortunate their selfishness has had such a negative impact on the kid’s future. And then Yuri’s junior season we saw Ford regularly blame him for losses just completely throwing him under the bus. I didn’t get the sense he did that as much this season, but certainly not commentary you expect from a guy sold as a players coach.

But please, blame the message board for recruits not wanting to play for these coaches. Do right by the players and produce on the court and you won’t have to worry about this message board.

Hot takes on a Sunday.

dlarry likes this

5 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I feel terrible for Perkins. The coaches selling him on returning to college and taking advantage of the free COVID year has ruined his professional opportunities and earnings potential. Really sad to see, but hard for me to let the coaches use him not returning to 100% as an excuse. With a straight face they sold him on the idea that taking advantage of his COVID year and playing a 5th season of college basketball at the age of 23 would somehow improve his draft stock. Now he is soon to be 25 still recovering from a knee injury. I really hope he gets fully healthy and is able to salvage a successful professional playing career overseas. Apparently Team Blue does not include the coaches giving honest advice that is in the best interest of their players, unfortunate their selfishness has had such a negative impact on the kid’s future. And then Yuri’s junior season we saw Ford regularly blame him for losses just completely throwing him under the bus. I didn’t get the sense he did that as much this season, but certainly not commentary you expect from a guy sold as a players coach.

But please, blame the message board for recruits not wanting to play for these coaches. Do right by the players and produce on the court and you won’t have to worry about this message board.

Hot takes on a Sunday.

To be fair, had Perkins not come back he would have still been in the same boat regarding his slow recovery so coming back did not hurt him in that regard. In fact he probably got better medical care by coming back.   I also feel bad for Perkins but it was the terrible knee injury he suffered against that D3 or 2 school that was a meaningless game but who could have predicted that.  Life is littered with people who got freak injuries that altered their life. 

dlarry likes this

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

This latest posts on Ford was started by Ankiel Breaker with his 6/3/23 at 10:04am post calling out the so called Ford haters.  Those who consider themselves Ford lovers should note that this one was started by apparently a lover.  You want to keep the threads quiet about Ford then I suggest you all stop brining it up.  All it does it get others to respond.  

Well that’s a lie. It started on the 2nd post from a hater that said it’s not to late to fire Ford. Haters gonna hate. 

48 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

To be fair, had Perkins not come back he would have still been in the same boat regarding his slow recovery so coming back did not hurt him in that regard.

He came back for his 5th season of college basketball and then got hurt in an exhibition game forcing him to essentially have to come back this past season (his 6th year of college), the risk/reward was never there for him to take advantage of that free COVID year. Now we are two years later and who knows what his professional opportunities look like.

14 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

He came back for his 5th season of college basketball and then got hurt in an exhibition game forcing him to essentially have to come back this past season (his 6th year of college), the risk/reward was never there for him to take advantage of that free COVID year. Now we are two years later and who knows what his professional opportunities look like.

Yes you are right I wasn't thinking about the year you were referencing.

48 minutes ago, DOC said:

Well that’s a lie. It started on the 2nd post from a hater that said it’s not to late to fire Ford. Haters gonna hate. 

Please share this post because all the posts directly prior to the one I mentioned were about making the NIT or teams in the 300s.  Once again  you turn the heat up by making it personal.  If you want to say a person's comment is not correct  then fine but to call it a lie is just way off base.

When we inevitably lose game 1 of the A10 Tournament start the following immediate action drill:

1. Fire May

2. Hire new AD (Maybe and assistant from a good bball/soccer school does UCONN fit that bill?)

3. New AD hires new BB Coach (not at highest salary in league unless that coach has a history of winning in the Tournament)

thetorch likes this

4 hours ago, DOC said:

Then you have to agree it also effects recruits. 

Yeah, potential recruits and transfers would have no clue we haven’t been to a NCAA tournament in four years and haven’t earned an at large bid in a decade if it wasn’t for those meddling posters on Billikens.com.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

When we inevitably lose game 1 of the A10 Tournament start the following immediate action drill:

1. Fire May

2. Hire new AD (Maybe and assistant from a good bball/soccer school does UCONN fit that bill?)

3. New AD hires new BB Coach (not at highest salary in league unless that coach has a history of winning in the Tournament)

Ding, ding, ding. 
We have a winner. 
This is the 1000th fire Ford post. 
But congratulations for suggesting hiring an Assistant AD from a losing Football program. I believe this is a first. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ding, ding, ding. 
We have a winner. 
But congratulations for suggesting hiring an Assistant AD from a losing Football program. I believe this is a first. 

Wasn’t Chris May an Assistant AD at a school with a losing football program when SLU hired him?

18 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Wasn’t Chris May an Assistant AD at a school with a losing football program when SLU hired him?

According to his resume, May was in the athletic department for 22 years and CU went to 18 bowl games in that period 

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

According to his resume, May was in the athletic department for 22 years and CU went to 18 bowl games in that period 

They were awful his last three years there.  I’m sure the people who love the Billikens’ football program were disappointed with the hire…… wait?

HoosierPal likes this

27 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ding, ding, ding. 
We have a winner. 

Just throwing out a School that has good BB and has (had?) Soccer success.  2 sports SLU cares about not football.  Though good job trying to deflect from May's inept negotiating and dealing with the media skills and Ford's record.

Here's the 1001st fire Ford post. Expect many more until we start winning or he's fired.  That's life on Sports message boards. 

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Sounds about right. Going to a bowl game is the equivalent of winning 20 games in basketball.

20 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Sounds about right. Going to a bowl game is the equivalent of winning 20 games in basketball.

May was hired when Bill McCartney was already the head coach.  They were really good then.  After McCartney it was gradually downhill until the female placekicker was raped and then it was a free fall with the football program.

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

Information I'm sure you don't care about because it doesn't support your narrative.

This past year, there were 42 football bowl games.

In 2010 there were 35 bowl games

In 2000 there were 25 bowl games

In 1990 there were 19 bowl games. 

For Colorado getting to 18 bowl games between 1986-2008 was quite an accomplishment.

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Here's the 1001st fire Ford post. Expect many more until we start winning or he's fired.  That's life on Sports message boards. 

Hey, I'm giving you kudos for being original.  You are the first one since, what, March, that has come up with something new.  Yes this is what Message Boards are for.  But I am still waiting for one single person to change one other person's opinion.  But mindless B'ing and M'ing is better than kicking the dog.