Transfers - 2023

ACE

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

depends on what level you want to be.   if you are saying a top 15 conference like the A-10 and to be competitive there, maybe.   to be playing with the big boys nationally, not a chance in hell.

We don't recruit with the big boys now. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Where would GJ have fallen on that list?  Would he have been a top 50 transfer?  Maybe.  That means it may have cost us $250,000 to keep him.

Jimerson probably could have landed 100-150k on the market. A 2nd team all A10 guard with a plus offensive skill and no defense would command that. The "there is no loyalty" theme isn't exactly right though. There are plenty of guys that have stuck with their current school with a hometown discount. 

and we should.   if we dont the way things are aligning the a-10 will continue to decline, we will never have automatic bids again and the big boys will eventually break D1 into 2 parts and only the big boys conferences will play in the tourney and earn the big bucks.  if you are happy with the status quo, we will soon be D3 imo. if there was ever a time to step up the effort now it is.   but apparently you are happy with 20 wins, no at large berth, and a hope that once every 10 years we win the conference tourney to be matched up with the #1 ranked team in the tourney.    no thanks.

1 minute ago, JMM28 said:

Jimerson probably could have landed 100-150k on the market. A 2nd team all A10 guard with a plus offensive skill and no defense would command that. The "there is no loyalty" theme isn't exactly right though. There are plenty of guys that have stuck with their current school with a hometown discount. 

Where are you coming up with these numbers? I have to believe that if Jimerson had that kind of market value he would not be a Billiken.  

1 hour ago, willie said:

Where did you come up with any of those numbers? You or somebody is just making them up. Unfortunately now that you put them out there they will now become gospel. My SPECULATION is that if we had 500k to spend you could do quite well. 

Your speculation is correct. 500k, as of this year, should be an A10 championship caliber squad year in and out. 

2 minutes ago, willie said:

Where are you coming up with these numbers? I have to believe that if Jimerson had that kind of market value he would not be a Billiken.  

Loyalty still exists. I don't know him but there are a lot of factors - comfort, loyalty to a coach, girlfriend that is still here, not wanting to learn a new system, not wanting to play overseas, etc that trump a need for the most money. Or maybe he was guaranteed 60-80k and that was enough to keep him from checking out. 

36 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Loyalty still exists. I don't know him but there are a lot of factors - comfort, loyalty to a coach, girlfriend that is still here, not wanting to learn a new system, not wanting to play overseas, etc that trump a need for the most money. Or maybe he was guaranteed 60-80k and that was enough to keep him from checking out. 

I believe Jimerson is getting paid well.  Might not be $150k, but I doubt he is taking a huge discount.  Jimerson has a relationship with one of the school's biggest donors that has nothing to do with basketball. That and the fact he qualifies for top tier status from BVF being a SLU grad leads me to believe he is getting paid pretty well through NIL between two different sources.

Adman likes this

3 hours ago, willie said:

Where did you come up with any of those numbers? You or somebody is just making them up. Unfortunately now that you put them out there they will now become gospel. My SPECULATION is that if we had 500k to spend you could do quite well. 

Again, I heard it somewhere.  It might have been the golf tournament.  Also, based on the numbers shown in the text about how players are costing under NIL, $500k would not build you much of a team.  This is probably because power conference teams have much more to spend.

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Your speculation is correct. 500k, as of this year, should be an A10 championship caliber squad year in and out. 

Based on what?  Again, I admit, I am basing my conclusion on the chart that was posted showing that a top 50 NIL player would garner about $250,000.  You could get two of those guys for 500K and then have no one else on your team, because they all transfer because your aren't paying them anything.  My statements are based on the twitter post above.

Regardless, it doesn't matter what then numbers are.  If you say 500K should by an A10 championship team every year, that's just not true if we cannot get guys to come here because Power 5 schools all have a million to spend.  It's all relative to what they other guys have.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I believe Jimerson is getting paid well.  Might not be $150k, but I doubt he is taking a huge discount.  Jimerson has a relationship with one of the school's biggest donors that has nothing to do with basketball. That and the fact he qualifies for top tier status from BVF being a SLU grad leads me to believe he is getting paid pretty well through NIL between two different sources.

If this is the case, good for Jimerson.  He is a true student athlete and deserves it.

32 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Again, I heard it somewhere.  It might have been the golf tournament.  Also, based on the numbers shown in the text about how players are costing under NIL, $500k would not build you much of a team.  This is probably because power conference teams have much more to spend.

Somewhere? I am not trying to pick a fight but all of these numbers get thrown out with no source. I was also at the golf tournament and no numbers were part of the presentation. Maybe you got that in a private conversation. Maybe a Kansas or Kentucky are throwing around big numbers but I don’t believe all power 5 schools are playing that game. As far as Jimerson I was told he has a girlfriend. Enough said. Again pure SPECULATION but I believe 500k would get you a pretty good team. 

1 hour ago, CenHudDude said:

If this is the case, good for Jimerson.  He is a true student athlete and deserves it.

It is honestly speculation on my part, but I doubt an Academic All American with a degree in international business is leaving a bunch of money on the table.

A lot going on in the Bills world right now...though most of it is just smoke and haze.  In these times of uncertainty, I turn to the one source I can count on...the one who tells it like it is...the computer.

The Wiz...What do The Bills need to do to be successful?

Computer...How bad do you want to win?

TW...Real bad

Com...Spend $413,000

TW...What does that do?

Com...That gets you 3 players you need.

TW...Who are they?

Com...Grant Nelson...PF..6-11 N Dak....Mike  Sharavjamts...SF..6-8..Day...David Jones..PG..6-6 St. John's...these are the best players available on the Portal right now...Positions that the Bills could use and would fit nicely with the current team. 

TW...But we aren't on any of these players lists.

Comp...That could change quickly...Show me the money.

TW...Are these the only players we could win with?

Comp...No...there are others available that would work.

TW...Where did you come up with $413K?

Comp...Based on current info and estimated projections...For example, Nelson's rep is asking $163,000...The other 2 can be had for a combined $250K based on current estimated NIL values...thus 413K...as time goes by the price may come down if the teams don't change their bids or move on...or a bidding war could break out...right now $413K is the estimate.

TW...Still it seems like a lot of money. What does that get us?

Comp...An A-10 Championship and an NCAA bid...assuming everyone stays and is healthy.

TW...That would be great...But what about the return on our investment?

Comp...It is not about the return...it is about the TURN...as in TURNing things around. Creating momentum in an upward fashion. That in TURN would create a favorable environment ..a winning environment ..an environment that would show SLU is willing to make the commitment. ...which in TURN  would create a favorable impression for future players, future coaches and staff and future conference bids...not to mention fans who would buy tickets, buy hot dogs at games and watch games on TV.

TW...Yeah but is it worth it...

Comp...Please see my first response up top (the bolded one) and then follow the interview again...Hmmm...and humans call us artificial intelligence.

CenHudDude likes this

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Based on what?  Again, I admit, I am basing my conclusion on the chart that was posted showing that a top 50 NIL player would garner about $250,000.  You could get two of those guys for 500K and then have no one else on your team, because they all transfer because your aren't paying them anything.  My statements are based on the twitter post above.

Regardless, it doesn't matter what then numbers are.  If you say 500K should by an A10 championship team every year, that's just not true if we cannot get guys to come here because Power 5 schools all have a million to spend.  It's all relative to what they other guys have.

What do Power 5 budgets have to do with the A10 championship? It doesn’t. 

SLU also isn’t regularly competing for the top transfers, no different than they aren’t competing for top 50 recruits. 

500k is would be the top payroll in the A10 at this point. Why would you spend that if you didn’t expect to win an A10 title?

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

A lot going on in the Bills world right now...though most of it is just smoke and haze.  In these times of uncertainty, I turn to the one source I can count on...the one who tells it like it is...the computer.

The Wiz...What do The Bills need to do to be successful?

Computer...How bad do you want to win?

TW...Real bad

Com...Spend $413,000

TW...What does that do?

Com...That gets you 3 players you need.

TW...Who are they?

Com...Grant Nelson...PF..6-11 N Dak....Mike  Sharavjamts...SF..6-8..Day...David Jones..PG..6-6 St. John's...these are the best players available on the Portal right now...Positions that the Bills could use and would fit nicely with the current team. 

TW...But we aren't on any of these players lists.

Comp...That could change quickly...Show me the money.

TW...Are these the only players we could win with?

Comp...No...there are others available that would work.

TW...Where did you come up with $413K?

Comp...Based on current info and estimated projections...For example, Nelson's rep is asking $163,000...The other 2 can be had for a combined $250K based on current estimated NIL values...thus 413K...as time goes by the price may come down if the teams don't change their bids or move on...or a bidding war could break out...right now $413K is the estimate.

TW...Still it seems like a lot of money. What does that get us?

Comp...An A-10 Championship and an NCAA bid...assuming everyone stays and is healthy.

TW...That would be great...But what about the return on our investment?

Comp...It is not about the return...it is about the TURN...as in TURNing things around. Creating momentum in an upward fashion. That in TURN would create a favorable environment ..a winning environment ..an environment that would show SLU is willing to make the commitment. ...which in TURN  would create a favorable impression for future players, future coaches and staff and future conference bids...not to mention fans who would buy tickets, buy hot dogs at games and watch games on TV.

TW...Yeah but is it worth it...

Comp...Please see my first response up top (the bolded one) and then follow the interview again...Hmmm...and humans call us artificial intelligence.

Update...PG Jones just signed today with Memphis.....substitute PG Zyon Pullin 6-4 UC Riverside for Jones... almost identically ranked.

Somebody from Memphis must have been reading our board.

On 6/5/2023 at 3:13 PM, HoosierPal said:

My post was concerning slu72's comment that we have held back NIL funds.  Every other post has been nudging the goal posts away from my initial comment/question.  How much has BVF held back?  Where was this noted?  Unless someone has a concrete example, I'm calling BS on another baseless rumor. 

Glad you enjoy Pickleball.  I'm pumped on STLCity.  Good stuff is happening in this city.

Hoosier, I am speculating but it’s like investing in AmBev or Target these days, ie why put &’s into losers? My point was some of the biggies have lost faith in Travis and are thinking why throw $$’s away? Seriously, I have no idea what they’re thinking. My point is most business folks don’t toss money at a 7 year investment that’s failed to produce better results. Is that fair? 

billiken_roy likes this