Transfers - 2023

ACE

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Admittedly I don’t know anything about this guy but….you know what, I’ll just leave it at that. I don’t know anything about him.

Exactly, I know nothing about him either. But anytime you see your school on a list with a bunch of bluebloods like those, you hope you can land him. 

David King and JMM28 like this

19 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Id rather keep all three open this year. 

I am afraid that something we have already experienced in the past with Sodie.  I sure hope we aren't going down that road again.  I do get that if we have to take D2 players just to fill a schollie then what is the point.

13 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am afraid that something we have already experienced in the past with Sodie.  I sure hope we aren't going down that road again.  I do get that if we have to take D2 players just to fill a schollie then what is the point.

Grab someone with only 1 season left if that’s your only option. 13 total scholarships, if 3 are open you are down to 10 players. 2 injuries and 2 guys down with the flu some game, you now have 5 starters and a bench of 1. Fill the open slots. Not saying these 3 are going to be game changers, but you do need enough players to play and to practice 5 on 5.

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

Grab someone with only 1 season left if that’s your only option. 13 total scholarships, if 3 are open you are down to 10 players. 2 injuries and 2 guys down with the flu some game, you now have 5 starters and a bench of 1. Fill the open slots. Not saying these 3 are going to be game changers, but you do need enough players to play and to practice 5 on 5.

Its way too early to waste a scholarship on a D2 player. You can get that type of talent in August. Its just shocking and almost embarrassing to be on that list with those schools considering what our roster looks like right now. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Its way too early to waste a scholarship on a D2 player. You can get that type of talent in August. Its just shocking and almost embarrassing to be on that list with those schools considering what our roster looks like right now. 

Agreed it’s still too early.

But come August if you still don’t have 13, get whoever you can get with as few years left as you can find. If they were on a D1 team, then they had the talent to convince someone they were worthy of that scholarship, and have had several years of experience practicing against D1 level talent. Don’t have open scholarships you are not using. Look at what happened the last year of Lisa Stone’s time here, she was playing with only 6-8 healthy players a lot of the time in February of that season. 

29 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Yes but if they are not decent D1 players then what is the point you really don't want them on the floor.  Practice can be handled with walkons   Putting people on the floor who are ineffective accomplishes nothing.  You might as well play a walk on if push comes to shove.

From what I hear of the player development program at Midway, if he’s on their radar, then I’m impressed.

Dee Meriwether was named All Region 10 ,  

From what I have seen went to Memphis East, believe that is the same school Malcom Dandridge went to... could it be a play for both... just speculating 

6 hours ago, wgstl said:

Help could be on the way, guys.

More detailed information:

6'0", 185 lb

29 games played

105-266 FG (39.5%)

78-190 3PT (41.1%)

30-36 FT (83.3%)

89 Rebounds

38 Assists and 31 Turnovers

21 Steals and 4 Blocks

5 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Yes but if they are not decent D1 players then what is the point you really don't want them on the floor.  Practice can be handled with walkons   Putting people on the floor who are ineffective accomplishes nothing.  You might as well play a walk on if push comes to shove.

Walk on isn't a guarantee.  We have to fill every scholarship every year.

On 6/1/2023 at 8:33 PM, TheA_Bomb said:

Books are on Audible and are very good.  Some high level US strategic thinkers/doers read him and are influenced by him.  He nailed the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

I shudder to think what else our “high level thinkers” are influenced by….

13 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Walk on isn't a guarantee.  We have to fill every scholarship every year.

I tend to agree and I was not pushing the idea.  I was merely pointing out that just to sign a body to have a body is not necessarily a good thing either.  A walk on can be the body if push comes to shove.  I would surely prefer to get a D1 type player rather than just a walk on.  We lived through this save the schollie thing with Sodie when he could not recruit anybody worth a damn and we all know how that movie ended.  This may simply be  another example of how far the program has retreated that some even are  talking about saving schollies.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I tend to agree and I was not pushing the idea.  I was merely pointing out that just to sign a body to have a body is not necessarily a good thing either.  A walk on can be the body if push comes to shove.  I would surely prefer to get a D1 type player rather than just a walk on.  We lived through this save the schollie thing with Sodie when he could not recruit anybody worth a damn and we all know how that movie ended.  This may simply be  another example of how far the program has retreated that some even are  talking about saving schollies.

Yeah, it’s not really worth “saving scholarships” when 3-4 guys minimum are going to be transferring out every season. you will always have scholarships available come spring. Need to fill them by fall or risk being decimated by injuries/discipline issues/in season transfers. Billiken fans should know this better than anyone

billiken_roy likes this

47 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

We’re saving $$$ and scholies so we stay under the NIL cap… don’t want to pay the NIL luxury tax…

Sound strategy to save a scholarship in case a solid player like Josh Harrelson or Blake Ahearn becomes available.

On 6/1/2023 at 12:01 PM, The Wiz said:

2023 Portal.....

There were 2674 players who entered the portal this year.

1425 have committed

54 have withdrawn

1195 remaining....45% of the original total

Top 10 players still available in the Portal...These players represent players from the top 5% of the original Portal.

Rank....Name-Pos-Ht...............Original Portal Rank..........Last School attended

1........Grant Nelson..PF..6-11...................6th......................................N. Dak St.....$163K NIL Value

2......Mike Sharavjamts..SF..6-8.............43rd....................................Dayton

3.....David Jones..PG..6-6.......................51st.....................................St. John's

4....Zyon Pullin..PG..6-4...........................57th.....................................UC-Riverside

5....Arthur Kaluma..PF..6-8......................71st......................................Creighton

6....Aziz Bandaogo..C..7-0.......................83rd.....................................Akron

7....Kruz Perrott-Hunt..SG..6-3...............100th....................................S. Dak

8....Deshawndre Washington..CG..6-7...103rd...................................N Mex St.

9....Connor Vanover..C..7-3.....................110th...................................ORU

10...Carte 'Are Gordon..C..6-8.................118th...................................Grambling St.

Update...

With #9 Vanover committing to Mizzou...I have added 2 new ones to the list rather than 1 because they were close in the rankings

10...Anthony Roy............SG...6-5...............129th...................................N Mex St

11...Jaiden  Delaire.........SF....6-8...............131st...................................San Diego