Transfers - 2023

ACE

33 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

I was at practice yesterday and talked to Brad for a little bit.  He is a nice kid and wants to be out there bad.  He said he is just waiting and is hopeful.  He didn't practice during the 4 v 4 scrimmages but he looks like a man amongst boys on our front line.  The dude is huge.

What about Abou?  Far more likely to get a waiver. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

What about Abou?  Far more likely to get a waiver. 

Didn't talk to him but he also didn't really participate in the scrimmages.  He did go 1v1 with Brad and it didn't go too well for him.  He needs to get much stronger.  

Not to change the topic but I thought SVB fared much better than Bruce in the scrimmages.  Bruce may have the more upside but he has a long way to go.  Curcic really stood out to me.  He practiced with fire and made a lot of shots.  

majerus mojo likes this

On 11/22/2023 at 10:23 AM, HoosierPal said:

Why the shot at Gary IN?  Have you been there?   I have, and I don't care to go again.  BTW, besides the Jackson 5, others from Gary IN include Frank Borman, Alex Karras, Avery Brooks, and Glenn Robinson.

I am aware of two basketball transfer situations where a lawsuit, or threat of a lawsuit, has overturned the initial NCAA decision.  This WVA situation is the most recent. The other one escapes me know, but it is probably buried in this thread. There are likely more lawsuit situations that I am unaware of, but that you ARE aware of.  The early fall stats on 2X waivers was that 20% were being granted.  The early stats had a list of maybe 40 or more 2x waiver requests.  These numbers were from September, so they undoubtedly have changed.  I read this month that one or two schools are STILL filing for these waivers, even after the season has started.

I'm interested in information.  Did VCU file a lawsuit over Bamisille?  I don’t know. I do know he has yet to play. Opinions are fine...that's what these message boards are all about.  But it is refreshing to have facts every now and then.

I'm off to join the millions on the nation's highways.  Enjoy the holiday.

If you like facts, you should probably stop parroting everything Stu, Rammer and SLU put out.

Wake Forest transfer Efton Reid had his waiver appeal for immediate eligibility approved by the NCAA today. He can play tomorrow vs. Rutgers.

Reid is a two-time transfer that previously played at both LSU and Gonzaga.

Have no idea if SLU is pouring the effort into the waiver appeal for Eziwero that Wake did for Reid but would be nice to know one way or the other very soon.

TheA_Bomb likes this

33 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Probably would be under a lot of pressure from coaching staff to play, as only chance of them keeping their jobs is a miracle run in Brooklyn. 

Why is that a valid reason for him to waste a year of eligibility on the program this year? Of course, that’s assuming he even gets the waiver in the first place, which is looking to me more and more like his answer is no.

9 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Why is that a valid reason for him to waste a year of eligibility on the program this year? Of course, that’s assuming he even gets the waiver in the first place, which is looking to me more and more like his answer is no.

They could always just pay him. That would be a valid reason. Never underestimate a desperate coach.

Coach314 likes this

On 12/6/2023 at 1:39 PM, Lord Elrond said:

I wasn’t saying that’s what he should do… just what staff might pressure him to do.  Plus these kids want to play, they don’t want to sit on the bench all year.  But yeah, it is probably a pointless discussion because I don’t see him being cleared for this year. 

Tennessee joining lawsuit to stop NCAA restrictions on transfers.

https://www.wsmv.com/2023/12/07/tennessee-joins-lawsuit-against-ncaa-over-transfer-rule/

Legal document in the story if your interested in reading 

This is quite interesting.  Tomlin is dismissed last week from Kansas State after being arrested for disorderly conduct; brawling or fighting (not good), entered the portal on Friday, visited Memphis on Monday, reportedly will graduate from KSU at semester break (good for him), and then will be immediately eligible to play for Memphis.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39096631/naeqwan-tomlin-join-memphis-kansas-state-dismissal

Assuming this is all true, it appears that grad students (such as Jimerson) can transfer at mid year and play second semester with a second team. 

50 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is quite interesting.  Tomlin is dismissed last week from Kansas State after being arrested for disorderly conduct; brawling or fighting (not good), entered the portal on Friday, visited Memphis on Monday, reportedly will graduate from KSU at semester break (good for him), and then will be immediately eligible to play for Memphis.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39096631/naeqwan-tomlin-join-memphis-kansas-state-dismissal

Assuming this is all true, it appears that grad students (such as Jimerson) can transfer at mid year and play second semester with a second team. 

An article in the Memphis Commercial Appeal mentions Tomlin is eligible immediately because he is a grad transfer and hasn't played in a game this season.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/2023/12/12/memphis-basketball-mailbag-jordan-brown-penny-hardaway-naeqwan-tomlin-joey-dorsey-bad-losses/71850774007/

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

An article in the Memphis Commercial Appeal mentions Tomlin is eligible immediately because he is a grad transfer and hasn't played in a game this season.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/2023/12/12/memphis-basketball-mailbag-jordan-brown-penny-hardaway-naeqwan-tomlin-joey-dorsey-bad-losses/71850774007/

Thanks. 

Interesting.  I wonder how long the 'eligibile because he hasn't played a game' will last in the current fast change environment. 

brianstl likes this

5 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I know nothing about his situation, but I do appreciate that he is able to play immediately after being kicked off of his previous team while we continue to wait on rulings for our guys, hilarious.

I am sure the NCAA who determines eligibility to play really does not care why a kid was removed from the team.  It could be any number of reasons that are not related to academics.  As we saw in the 2 Situations here our guys were punished when at other schools they may have not gotten any ramifications from the matters.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I am sure the NCAA who determines eligibility to play really does not care why a kid was removed from the team.  It could be any number of reasons that are not related to academics.  As we saw in the 2 Situations here our guys were punished when at other schools they may have not gotten any ramifications from the matters.

I know, it is just funny conceptually to me. Tomlin gets kicked off of his team and is now instantly eligible, but Cody Ellis had to sit a semester because he took one class pass/fail, it is just amusing to me.