Transfers - 2023

ACE

7 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

No news in awhile, so just throwing this out there.

According to Tigerblueprint.com said that Malcom Dandridge could return to Memphis

Makes sense, At this point they do not have a center better. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, willie said:

It's good he can't light us up for 40. 

I'm afraid there are major problems facing A-10 schools much more important than the commissioner, strength of schedule, etc. - The NET, free agent portal and NIL will unfortunately make the A-10 a one-bid league in most seasons going forward. Folks that were in favor of free agency were assuring us that the transferring between the A-10 and P6 would be neutral. That hasn't been the case the last few years and won't be going forward.

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm afraid there are major problems facing A-10 schools much more important than the commissioner, strength of schedule, etc. - The NET, free agent portal and NIL will unfortunately make the A-10 a one-bid league in most seasons going forward. Folks that were in favor of free agency were assuring us that the transferring between the A-10 and P6 would be neutral. That hasn't been the case the last few years and won't be going forward.

Couldn't, sadly, agree more.  I really fear that free agency and NIL means that SLU is facing an uphill and maybe impossible battle.  I've never been so worried about the future of our program and that has nothing to do with Ford or May.  My concerns have to do with forces beyond anyone at SLU's control.  Not sure how anyone can think that we can be the next Gonzaga when literally no one in the A-10 can keep its good players.  The players A-10 teams are getting to replace the players leaving aren't replacing the quality of the players it is losing.  I'm not sure that Gonzaga is going to be able to continue to be Gonzaga in a few years under the current rules.

ACE likes this

15 minutes ago, ACE said:

Three Star use to argue this point. We would get the going down transfers. By the way what ever happened to 3 star. He has disappeared. 

There are still 13 scholarships per team in the P6 leagues. 

SLU wasn’t competing with the UNC, Duke, KUs of the world for recruits at any point in the most recent 30 years.

There are plenty of P6 schools that have no NIL collective or programs setup. SLU is at an advantage not having football in this game. 

you can sit around and mope and ***** about how it used to be and say aw man if the NCAA hadn’t changed the rules we’d be great. Or you can play the game by the rules in place today and succeed.

4 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

There are still 13 scholarships per team in the P6 leagues. 

SLU wasn’t competing with the UNC, Duke, KUs of the world for recruits at any point in the most recent 30 years.

There are plenty of P6 schools that have no NIL collective or programs setup. SLU is at an advantage not having football in this game. 

you can sit around and mope and ***** about how it used to be and say aw man if the NCAA hadn’t changed the rules we’d be great. Or you can play the game by the rules in place today and succeed.

Just to be picky.  Tatum. I agree with your points. 

17 minutes ago, willie said:

Three Star use to argue this point. We would get the going down transfers. By the way what ever happened to 3 star. He has disappeared. 

Yes he did, and he was wrong. More often than not, the going down is not as good as the going up. It's no coincidence that the A-10 was a one bid leage last year for the first time in a long time.

willie likes this

14 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

This sounds directed to our AD.  Our AD is the one stuck in the past with the "20 game" philosophy that is like 10 years ago

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

Yes he did, and he was wrong. More often than not, the going down is not as good as the going up. It's no coincidence that the A-10 was a one bid leage last year for the first time in a long time.

I'm still here.  But I was just disappointed with the season post Iona as everyone else.  It was a lost season.  The last 5 months of posts have all been a variation on that theme.  So I decided to focus on my other hobbies instead of contributing to the negativity.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm still here.  But I was just disappointed with the season post Iona as everyone else.  It was a lost season.  The last 5 months of posts have all been a variation on that theme.  So I decided to focus on my other hobbies instead of contributing to the negativity.

Glad you're still around!

billiken_roy likes this

The problem really isn't the amount of money SLU is spending on basketball and perhaps NIL although NIL is less transparent (for now).  As @JMM28 pointed out, we were never / will likely never be competitive with the likes of Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc.  SLU spends plenty of money compared to the rest of the A10 & even outspends some of the lowest spending Big East teams despite not having the same TV revenue rolling in.

The issue is that SLU has had a piss poor ROI on that money that is being invested in the basketball program.  

JMM28 likes this

I do think free agency is currently hurting schools SLU's size and I'm not sure the playing field will ever get back to being how it was (which was never level) but I do think it'll tilt back a little bit eventually.

Regardless of how many bids the A10 gets, the goal still needs to be to win the A10 every year. Sure, nobody except Gonzaga actually does that but I still don't think our leadership has their sights set correctly. 20 win seasons and double byes absolutely cannot be the goal now but they still shouldn't have been the goal even when the A10 was sending 2-3 teams a year.

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Good, I like your contributions. I don't always agree with your opinions, but they are always well thought out. I respect that, and you make people think. That's what a message board should be, a good exchange of ideas. I think some people forget that, especially in the Twitter/social media age. Please continue to contribute and try not to take disagreement personally - ignore the negativity.

9 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I do think free agency is currently hurting schools SLU's size and I'm not sure the playing field will ever get back to being how it was (which was never level) but I do think it'll tilt back a little bit eventually.

Regardless of how many bids the A10 gets, the goal still needs to be to win the A10 every year. Sure, nobody except Gonzaga actually does that but I still don't think our leadership has their sights set correctly. 20 win seasons and double byes absolutely cannot be the goal now but they still shouldn't have been the goal even when the A10 was sending 2-3 teams a year.

1 tourney in 7 years is what's hurting us more than anything.  And it wasn't even an at large.

JMM28, Schasz and rgbilliken like this

1 minute ago, JMM28 said:

One other thing that hasn't sorted itself out yet. The covid year going away and flushing out of the system will help competitive roster balance a bit as well.

This is true.

13 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

One other thing that hasn't sorted itself out yet. The covid year going away and flushing out of the system will help competitive roster balance a bit as well.

Or, the law of Supply and Demand kicks in. Extra year goes away, fewer players since players don’t have 5th Covid year, price per player goes up

13 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Or, the law of Supply and Demand kicks in. Extra year goes away, fewer players since players don’t have 5th Covid year, price per player goes up

NCAA is also cracking down on transferring more than once starting next year.  Once this happens players will have to really think about transferring up, right now its like why not?  If it does work Ill move again

43 minutes ago, wgstl said:

NCAA is also cracking down on transferring more than once starting next year.  Once this happens players will have to really think about transferring up, right now its like why not?  If it does work Ill move again

True.  Will that stand up to a lawsuit if a student pushes? The way scholarships work, they can be taken away by a coach on a yearly basis. If the school isn’t going to commit to a 4 year guarantee to that student, why should the student not have the same freedom to move?  My guess, the NCAA makes a lot of noise about stopping multiple transfers by a student, but if push comes to shove they will find a way to grant an exemption under the current rules to the player who makes a fuss rather than risk losing in court.

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

awesome to read your thoughts and while the negativity is tough (im a big contributor i know) we gotta vent somewhere.  you know what is said, "missery loves company"