Transfers - 2023

ACE

10 hours ago, thetorch said:

I'm slowly dying. How is Mi$$ou this good and we are recruiting JUCO guys against D-2 programs.

my guess is walmart is willing to pay more than our whales are paying.   this is no longer about recruiting.   this is pro ball now and the deciding factor is going to be who pays the most going forward.   no more smooth talking wins.   at least the majority of time. 

ive always defended ford in the past because the one great attribute he possessed was his recruiting.   now i believe that isnt even a consideration anymore.   it's all about the benjamin's now.

MB73 and VeniceMenace like this

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Please explain.  True examples would be nice if you have any.

well we havent won a single bidding war this year.   and second we never smash the 20 win ceiling mark.   seems to me, slu72 might be onto something.   

its a new college basketball world now with the money situation.   in all likelihood, we would be better off hiring a cyo coach and paying him in soda and candy but using the rest of the coach budget to buy the best players.   recruiting skills and facilities are not even close to being the main need for a program any longer imo.   it is all about the benjamins. 

i dont like it, but it seems to me it is pretty obvious money is in process of taking over college sports.  sad development but it is what it is and if we dont want to go all in, might as well embrace it and become D3.   it seems that's what the BoT want anyway.   so lets become the scholar bowl giants then. 

29 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Please explain.  True examples would be nice if you have any.

It's just another post speculating about something without any clue as to it's veracity.  (sorry '72 but that is the case.) Assume the worst.  Keep the negative narrative alive.  Make this board unreadable......

This is a pretty good look at what the competition is doing. It isn't perfect data by any stretch, but it is getting to be useful. 

SLU should have the ability to compete, with these numbers, at a P5/Big East level. Whether they do or not right now is a different story. 

Bizziken likes this

7 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

This is a pretty good look at what the competition is doing. It isn't perfect data by any stretch, but it is getting to be useful. 

SLU should have the ability to compete, with these numbers, at a P5/Big East level. Whether they do or not right now is a different story. 

Interesting. These are payments via collectives (excluding NIL deals with companies), and our collective stated we are using that $ for graduates vs. current student-athletes? 

2 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Interesting. These are payments via collectives (excluding NIL deals with companies), and our collective stated we are using that $ for graduates vs. current student-athletes? 

That is my understanding on what they are reporting. The bulk of the money is coming through collectives. 

39 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

It's just another post speculating about something without any clue as to it's veracity.  (sorry '72 but that is the case.) Assume the worst.  Keep the negative narrative alive.  Make this board unreadable......

Makes it unreadable to you. Personally I like reading all types of opinions and I think SLU72 brings up an interesting point that I had not thought about. I don’t think we are at the point 72 brings up but it’s something to think about.

20 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Makes it unreadable to you. Personally I like reading all types of opinions and I think SLU72 brings up an interesting point that I had not thought about. I don’t think we are at the point 72 brings up but it’s something to think about.

Fair enough.  If he were the only one feeding the negative narrative it wouldn't have struck me as noteworthy......

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

well we havent won a single bidding war this year.   and second we never smash the 20 win ceiling mark.   seems to me, slu72 might be onto something.   

its a new college basketball world now with the money situation.   in all likelihood, we would be better off hiring a cyo coach and paying him in soda and candy but using the rest of the coach budget to buy the best players.   recruiting skills and facilities are not even close to being the main need for a program any longer imo.   it is all about the benjamins. 

i dont like it, but it seems to me it is pretty obvious money is in process of taking over college sports.  sad development but it is what it is and if we dont want to go all in, might as well embrace it and become D3.   it seems that's what the BoT want anyway.   so lets become the scholar bowl giants then. 

So, you got nothing??  Where were we underbid?  Need facts.  Opinions are free.  This looks like a freebie.  It would be nice if someone posted facts sometime.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So, you got nothing??  Where were we underbid?  Need facts.  Opinions are free.  This looks like a freebie.  It would be nice if someone posted facts sometime.

I agree, rumors don’t mean much. I’ll judge the off-season on the players I see on the team at the first practice in the fall. I see no point in even trying to make sense of all the rumors out NIL out there.

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

Rich and Hoosier, just like most on here, ie no inside knowledge, I can only go on what I see and take from rumors on here like disgruntled whales and that our collective isn’t all that healthy. And so anything I post is pure speculation. That said, the fact we don’t seem to be attracting transfers that are real upgrades, and that we’ve lost two additions, Vice and Noland, that may have helped the cause leads me to speculate the big $$ boosters aren’t helping much with NIL funds. 
So, the question is why is this? And I think they don’t feel confident that even moderately priced NIL players will produce the desired results w/ Ford at the helm. I’ll grant you that’s a negative vibe, but I also think there is a lot of negativity  around Bills Hoops these days. Not only from posters but from major donors as well. Let’s not kid ourselves here, this past season’s let down created a lot of disappointed fans. 

majerus mojo and dlarry like this

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

we havent signed anyone but this undersized guy from Tulsa so either we arent bidding for anyone or we have gotten out bid alot.   

why would you think we would be shared any specific information.  SLU and the BoT has always kept everything behind closed doors from the fandom.   we will never know specifics,   but as i said, we have multiple open positions for a roster that should provide opportunities for massive playing time and nothing is happening.  we got a coach reputed prior to NiL to be a very good recruiter.   we have excellent facilities, so you tell us.  why is no one coming if it isnt about the money and we are being outbid?  

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

These #s are right in line with what I was speculating in previous posts. 

@HoosierPal  I'm more of a shark or perhaps marlin than a whale.  I'm not giving $ to BVF until there's a coaching change. That's 1 data point for you.

Facilities and coaches do matter still it's just that money also matters now too. So we have the facilities, what are we missing? Prestige, conference Prestige, coaching, money,  exposure, location those are the other factors.

40 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

we havent signed anyone but this undersized guy from Tulsa so either we arent bidding for anyone or we have gotten out bid alot.   

why would you think we would be shared any specific information.  SLU and the BoT has always kept everything behind closed doors from the fandom.   we will never know specifics,   but as i said, we have multiple open positions for a roster that should provide opportunities for massive playing time and nothing is happening.  we got a coach reputed prior to NiL to be a very good recruiter.   we have excellent facilities, so you tell us.  why is no one coming if it isnt about the money and we are being outbid?  

I‘m not the one saying SLU is holding back NIL funds. Unless you get Troy to confirm, this is just another baseless rumor. 

Billiken Rich likes this

23 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm not giving $ to BVF until there's a coaching change. That's 1 data point for you.

I applaud your conviction. Good for you. It’s your money and you are the one who directs where it does  

But how does that demonstrate the BVF is withholding NIL funds?  

44 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I applaud your conviction. Good for you. It’s your money and you are the one who directs where it does  

But how does that demonstrate the BVF is withholding NIL funds?  

I don't think that's what is being said. Roy is saying SPUMAC's whales are giving more than our whale(s).  Hence we maybe giving it all with got like Scottie in Engineering but it's still not enough compared to a P5 state school. 

Some have concluded that BVF has focused giving in the wrong area, based on BVF posted information on their giving priority. 

On a slightly related note to our whale, I played some Pickleball and it's f#$ckin' fun.  I'm in, ordered a MLP shirt for the Austin team, currently #1 in DUPR (their NET) but sadly St. Louis Shock is last in DUPR. Give it a try, Academy Sports has a Franklin 2 paddle, 2 ball set for $29. I bought a Franklin half court size net that with some sidewalk chalk to outline the court on my driveway equaled a whole weekend outside with the kids playing.

3 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Didn't someone say that the BVF was anticipating having $450,000 to spread around.  If that is the case, these numbers explain the downfall of the A-10 and, sadly, SLU.  If it costs $50,000 to get a top 100-150 transfer, how does SLU make a competitive team on that?  Also, how do we keep good players based on those numbers?

Where would GJ have fallen on that list?  Would he have been a top 50 transfer?  Maybe.  That means it may have cost us $250,000 to keep him.

These numbers don't bode well for us.

billiken_roy likes this

17 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Didn't someone say that the BVF was anticipating having $450,000 to spread around.  If that is the case, these numbers explain the downfall of the A-10 and, sadly, SLU.  If it costs $50,000 to get a top 100-150 transfer, how does SLU make a competitive team on that?  Also, how do we keep good players based on those numbers?

Where would GJ have fallen on that list?  Would he have been a top 50 transfer?  Maybe.  That means it may have cost us $250,000 to keep him.

These numbers don't bode well for us.

Where did you come up with any of those numbers? You or somebody is just making them up. Unfortunately now that you put them out there they will now become gospel. My SPECULATION is that if we had 500k to spend you could do quite well. 

JMM28 and Billiken Rich like this

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I don't think that's what is being said. Roy is saying SPUMAC's whales are giving more than our whale(s).  Hence we maybe giving it all with got like Scottie in Engineering but it's still not enough compared to a P5 state school. 

Some have concluded that BVF has focused giving in the wrong area, based on BVF posted information on their giving priority. 

On a slightly related note to our whale, I played some Pickleball and it's f#$ckin' fun.  I'm in, ordered a MLP shirt for the Austin team, currently #1 in DUPR (their NET) but sadly St. Louis Shock is last in DUPR. Give it a try, Academy Sports has a Franklin 2 paddle, 2 ball set for $29. I bought a Franklin half court size net that with some sidewalk chalk to outline the court on my driveway equaled a whole weekend outside with the kids playing.

My post was concerning slu72's comment that we have held back NIL funds.  Every other post has been nudging the goal posts away from my initial comment/question.  How much has BVF held back?  Where was this noted?  Unless someone has a concrete example, I'm calling BS on another baseless rumor. 

Glad you enjoy Pickleball.  I'm pumped on STLCity.  Good stuff is happening in this city.

47 minutes ago, willie said:

Where did you come up with any of those numbers? You or somebody is just making them up. Unfortunately now that you put them out there they will now become gospel. My SPECULATION is that if we had 500k to spend you could do quite well. 

depends on what level you want to be.   if you are saying a top 15 conference like the A-10 and to be competitive there, maybe.   to be playing with the big boys nationally, not a chance in hell.

cgeldmacher likes this