GDT: vs Central Arkansas

15 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Has no one pointed out that UCA had a guy named CHURCHILL BOUNDS.

His parents have a sense of humor.

Not as bad as being a boy named Sue.

Box and Won likes this

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My recap from my cheap seats in 210

• team basically forgot to play defense until they were down 18-12. After that they had the screws on tight with a few exceptions
  • Nesbitt is a beast. I wish he wouldn't mean mug all the time. I prefer a smile. I think he can be the greatest Billiken since Larry Hughes. He's so special and impacted the game in a huge way when he couldn't hit a 3 and was 1-4 from the line
  • Yuri seems way more like a leader now. His decision making on drives still isn't great, but he put up 14 % 12 with 4 steals in 24 minutes. He could have had 20 &20. He's a maestro
  • Traore for me is the biggest takeaway. I think Okoro is a solid 20-25 mpg guy in the A-10. He and Linßen are fine as bigs. Traore  gave the team great energy at the 4:30 mark in the 1st half. I thought he would leave at the TV timeout but Ford liked what he saw and he earned that extra PT
  • Jimerson is going to have a huge green light and if he can not get exposed by A-10 wings I think he has the chance to play 30mpg because he's the most obvious fill-in for Perkins loss. He can average 15ppg this season and Yuri can average 10 & 8 (I don't really care where the offense comes from; it can be TJ and Linßen.  

16 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

If you have the time, Rammer has some interesting thoughts. 

He believes Lorrentsson is being undersold and is the mix for two bigs.  He also thinks Ford is using the '8 man rotation' to motivate the team, particularly those on the far end of the roster. Says Jones is trying to get his stripes as a PG and not concerned with this shooting just yet.  He doesn't think Linssen and Okoro will play all that many minutes together, but when they do it will be a high - low makeup.  Most common lineup with be a one in, four out lineup.

Travis hasn't been happy with the offense in practice. It's not where he wants it yet. 

Collins spent time with Claggett working on his shot and it shows.  Collins has to be guarded now, and can't be left alone to double team another Billiken.

Rammer expects Jimerson to take maybe up to 10 shots per game.  He is working with Collins on back cuts.  Confidence is the key to Jimerson's season.

Rammer isn't sure this team knows how to be a running team.  Doesn't have the surgical procession to do it consistently, yet.  Someone has to rebound the ball to get it out on the run.  How do you keep guys in to rebound when you are getting into a transition.  All four can't run and leave Okoro alone to rebound.  Understand where you are on the floor when the shot goes up and who is in best position to get out and run.  It may not be you.  This team has the elements to run, but do they have cerebral look at the game to understand what it takes to be a successful running team.  If guys leak out too soon, Coach will slow it down.

First three games are buy games.  Will this team be ready for Memphis?  Will Memphis be ready for this team?  Buffalo will contend for their conference and will be a tough game.  Boise State may win their conference, and will UAB.  Belmont will win the OVC.  BC, won't be great, but being in the ACC their SOS will be up there, meaning it is a must win game. Auburn may have the best set of big men in the country.  Why aren't we playing Drake in Kirksville rather than in Vegas? These 8 teams are the SOS part of our OOC.  What we do with these 8 will play a huge part of where this team ends up regarding March Madness.  We don't have to win all 8 but have to take some W's.

First two games, look for offensive and defensive efficiency.  Look at the matchup's that Coach uses.

Lorrentsson has been the 'lights out shooter' in practice.  Every shot in practice is tracked, and he comes out on top.  Ford has been playing Okoro and Linssen against Lorrentsson and Traore in practice.

Rammer is concerned with the A10 is trending to a one bid league, particularly this year with injuries to SLU and VCU.  The bottom half of the league has to improve.  He believes the Commish has talked to the Fordhams, StJoes, and GW's to fix what is broken.

Rammer hit a homerun on the Jimerson / Collins backdoor play.  

I just love the talk of Yuri’s decision making on drives. He was 4 of 7 from 2 with 2 turnovers. Doesn’t appear he could have made too many poor decisions. 

This is like the t/o talk from last year. When he makes an incredible drive through traffic or a great pass that was a little risky you say wow great pass or great drive. If he misses it was a bad decision. Take away the “bad decision” plays and you have to take away the risky makes also as you didn’t know the result before the play. 

I want Yadi to continue to play on the edge both with getting to the rim and with his passing. I’ll take your bad decisions because I get the WOW along with it. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

18 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I want Yadi to continue to play on the edge both with getting to the rim and with his passing. I’ll take your bad decisions because I get the WOW along with it. 

Not sure Yadi has the hops anymore to get to the rim.  I do like his throws to second though!  😃

25 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I just love the talk of Yuri’s decision making on drives. He was 4 of 7 from 2 with 2 turnovers. Doesn’t appear he could have made too many poor decisions. 

This is like the t/o talk from last year. When he makes an incredible drive through traffic or a great pass that was a little risky you say wow great pass or great drive. If he misses it was a bad decision. Take away the “bad decision” plays and you have to take away the risky makes also as you didn’t know the result before the play. 

I agree that Yuri is the Yadi of this team.

slufanskip likes this

10 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I couldn’t disagree more. Okoro was fine. It was his 1st real game in 2 years. Chill. If anything Traore’s effort tonight makes me feel even better about our frontcourt depth. If you were expecting a finished product tonight, your expectations were WAY TOO HIGH!

This. Traore is an A10 caliber big and that was a pleasant surprise. Hot take alert, but I’d take him over Bell right now. 

SLU1818 likes this

Linssen and Okoro seem to be exact opposite players currently.  Not the worst thing, at least you have options for certain situations. 

Williams PT was a head scratcher. 

Traore is not another Diarra, He could come in and play a few minutes and I wouldn't be stressed.

Yuri was excellent, though, surprised to see only 2 TO, he should have had 2 others go against him. 

Fred isn't going to be great every game, he'll have games like this one, and then have a great night against possibly great teams. 

Did not feel like we shot over 40% from 3, but good teams seem to do that.. just saying. 

echoing what I've said in the past, Lorentsson is closer to being a 2 guard, than a 4. 

The final 18 mins. produced some eye-popping numbers. On 34 possessions, the Bills scored 53 pts., shot 61.1% from the floor, with only 3 turnovers. Those numbers work out to a ppp of 1.56 and a turnover percentage of 8.8. As good as those mumbers are, C. Ark’s were equally bad.

It doesn’t get much better than that.

2 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

The final 18 mins. produced some eye-popping numbers. On 34 possessions, the Bills scored 53 pts., shot 61.1% from the floor, with only 3 turnovers. Those numbers work out to a ppp of 1.56 and a turnover percentage of 8.8. As good as those mumbers are, C. Ark’s were equally bad.

It doesn’t get much better than that.

This is the stuff I'm here for 

2 hours ago, A10Ref said:

Yuri was insane last night... We may actually have a top 10 PG in the country, and I don't think that is too hot of a take.

I've been saying this since last year, and last night only proved it. No doubt in my mind anymore as he did that in 24 minutes. At a 40min scale that stat line is 23p/20a/7s/5r and just 3 turnovers. 

I get that it was Central Arkansas, but it was 24 minutes. When Yuri plays big minutes against big teams he's still capable of averaging a double-double, and given he keeps the turnovers respectable and the inevitable steals he tacks on I don't see how anyone can argue against a Top 10 spot. 

1 hour ago, 2010andBeyond said:

This. Traore is an A10 caliber big and that was a pleasant surprise. Hot take alert, but I’d take him over Bell right now. 

I don't think that's a hot take - he's more mobile than Bell by a mile and I think that's a better fit as our 3rd string big man. JBJ only outrebounded Traore in his debut game, in which he played just 10 minutes, once in his two seasons with the team - and did it by only 1 rebound. 

What's exciting is that's just what we saw out of Traore in 10 minutes in his debut game. Imagine what we'll see when he develops and learns the system and builds chemistry with his point god Yuri Collins?? 

-biggest surprise to me was Traore in the game in the first half when it was still a game, was he the 8th Billiken to enter the game?

-good to see folks on here recognize Nesbitt as special because he is

-interesting scheduling that is designed to get competition against other jerseys before Memphis, no time to make changes for tonight however and very little time for Friday's tilt

-a win's a win and better than a loss, ask UVA

I think Jimerson will average 12 to 15 per game this year, partly by necessity and partly by skill.  His defense doesn't bother me as much as it does for some.

I think Yuri is amazing, but good point guards look much better against bad teams.  His true value will be determined in our most difficult games.  That being said, I would guess that he will produce well in those games also.

Traore did look good, but I remember saying the same things about Diarra after the first blood donor game.  That being said, I'm still high on his potential.

The biggest take away for me from this game was Nesbitt's composure (outside of his posing and chest thumping).  In the exhibitions, he looked rushed and as if he was still playing frantic AAU style ball.  Last night, he slowed the game down.  He hit a few pull up mid range jumpers.  If he gets his 3 point shot together, he will be a nightmare to defend.  As far as the posing and chest thumping, I don't mind it at all as long as it doesn't prevent you from guarding your man.  At least twice last night, though, it resulted in a fast break opportunity for the opponent.  As long as I does it appropriately, I have no issue.

RUBillsFan likes this

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think Jimerson will average 12 to 15 per game this year, partly by necessity and partly by skill.  His defense doesn't bother me as much as it does for some.

I think Yuri is amazing, but good point guards look much better against bad teams.  His true value will be determined in our most difficult games.  That being said, I would guess that he will produce well in those games also.

Traore did look good, but I remember saying the same things about Diarra after the first blood donor game.  That being said, I'm still high on his potential.

The biggest take away for me from this game was Nesbitt's composure (outside of his posing and chest thumping).  In the exhibitions, he looked rushed and as if he was still playing frantic AAU style ball.  Last night, he slowed the game down.  He hit a few pull up mid range jumpers.  If he gets his 3 point shot together, he will be a nightmare to defend.  As far as the posing and chest thumping, I don't mind it at all as long as it doesn't prevent you from guarding your man.  At least twice last night, though, it resulted in a fast break opportunity for the opponent.  As long as I does it appropriately, I have no issue.

-how about if a technical foul is called?

5 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-how about if a technical foul is called?

Nobody is going to cal a technical for pounding your chest or talking trash. If so, JGood would’ve been T-ed up every game last season. It’s not that big of a deal.

slufanskip and AGB91 like this

I can't believe all of the panties in a bunch about Nesbitt having some personality.

The kid is a freak athlete, and more importantly a kid.  I hope he, Okoro, Hargrove, Strickland, and Yuri all show a ton of attitude all year. So long as it isn't targeted it won't be a technical foul and so long as it's earned we should be supportive of our boys having fun out there. 

thetorch likes this

Just now, Bills By 40 said:

I can't believe all of the panties in a bunch about Nesbitt having some personality.

The kid is a freak athlete, and more importantly a kid.  I hope he, Okoro, Hargrove, Strickland, and Yuri all show a ton of attitude all year. So long as it isn't targeted it won't be a technical foul and so long as it's earned we should be supportive of our boys having fun out there. 

Were you not the one saying he had a bad attitude?