Billiken Mount Rushmore

billikenfan05

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a tough question and the personal part is an interesting twist that you don't often see/consider.

I'm wayyyy to young to have seen Easy Ed play, but since his number is retired/up in the rafters and he is a distant relative of mine I've heard/read about him more than usual and I think he still qualifies for my personal list.  He is unquestionably on the non-personal list.

After that I have to go Claggett because he was who I remember most going to the first games that I actually remember as a kid.  I'm going to add Marque Perry in that same vein.  Once I was old enough to appreciate the game more, understand & follow the entire game, etc. it was Perry who was the stand out player and led the Bills to that win over then #2 Louisville which sticks out in my mind as one of the most fun games I've attended in person.

There are a ton of options for the last spot for me.  Spoon or Majerus are the coach options.   I grew up wearing Spooball gear and Majerus was already an icon when he started at SLU.  However, neither really stands out in my mind as much as players when I think about the Billikens.  Again I was a little young to appreciate Spoon's coaching and as much as I love Majerus I feel like he ultimately belongs to Utah more than SLU.  I vaguely remember Bonner and he's probably #2 behind Easy on the non-personal list.  However, not having any real memories of him knocks him off my personal list.  Lisch is tempting because he fits in similar to Perry, but he doesn't have that stand out moment for me like Perry and sadly the teams he was on are marred by disappointment in my mind.  Kwamain is tempting as well.  He hit that shot against Dayton which is up there with the Louisville game for me on the "in person most fun game" list.  Conklin's senior year was phenomenal.  Evans was awesome / steady presence on those great teams.  However, I'm going with Jett for my last spot because he was so unstoppable going to the hole his senior year and won so many close games for us.  His hair & name also make him stand out more.

There is my list: Easy Ed, Claggett, Perry, Jett

McCauley and Bonner are easy.  The problem with Majerus is the his impact on the program was submarined by his predecessor.  Same problem with Hughes.  His only being here one year didn't really result in the program being elevated.

For my final two, I'll go Bob Ferry and ...... Travis Ford.  I'm betting on him getting us to our first Sweet Sixteen in the next few years.  This would immediately put him on the mountain.  I'm also counting on him seeing that staying at a place like SLU and having job security while running a Villanova, Gonzaga, Xavier, St. Mary's, Wichita State type program is better than cashing in at a big state school and then getting fired after a few years.

-Kwamain is on the top of my list, probably by far, given what he went through and how he came back, never said anything (at least I don't remember anything), got his degree and was a great Billiken - THANK YOU KWAMAIN

-tough question, Mt Rushmore is all presidents who were elected twice so I will go all 4 year players, the other 3 are Easy Ed, Bonner, Roland Gray

NextYearBill likes this

If this is going to be a real list of players and people based on accomplishments Hickey and Boushka probably have to be on there.  Hickey coached an NIT Championship team and had an Elite Eight.  Boushka was an All-American, 3 time first team All-MVC, and an Olympic Gold Medalist.

35 minutes ago, willie said:

Interesting to me that several people have mentioned Jett. I believe Evans was the more important 4 year player on that team. Not a knock on Jett just believe Evans had a better career. 

Jett was also conference POY and I think that holds some weight