2018-19 season

44 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I want to say "anything less than Sweet 16" is a disappointment, but I would just be so so happy to get back to March that I think I would be satisfied. 

I understand you but I hope the team and coaches don't think the same.  If they don't aim higher, and are satisfied with just getting there, then that will be about as far as they go.  I'm hoping as the season goes on and the wins pile up that they establish some challenging NCAA goals!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Taj, Good analysis!  However, at this time of the year all we have to discuss is what you referred to as white noise. 

Thinking about who we will lose next year and the fact that most top 75 recruits will be committed somewhere before this season even starts, led me to conclude that TF might employ a recruiting approach that saves one sure scholarship each fall recruiting period for a grad transfer in the following Spring.  Since many of the best grad transfers want to go to a winning program-one that has Sweet 16 or Elite 8 potential, having an open scholarship would allow us to  best translate our expected excellent 18-19 season into a top-level grad transfer, someone of Isabell or better quality.  That approach sure worked this year getting Isabell and Wiley-experienced D1 players able to step right in and help the team, while at the same time not tying up a scholarship for 4 years.

I am thinking the TF strategy is to offer these high ranking players, then let our performance dictate who wants to join the Big Blue Train!  Get on board now, cause you don't want to be left at the station.  Woo Woo!

mhg

CBFan likes this

I think some of us are more concerned about team “meshing” than is warranted. Our 3 returning studs are in tune with themselves. -s2 they would of been hard pressed to have exceeded their minutes played last year. With all incoming talent we will come together quickly. I think anything short of making tournament will be a disappointment. 

Brighton likes this

I view this upcoming season with more of a big picture view. As others have pointed out, the NCAA Tourney can be a bit of a crap shoot. A deep tourney run would be great of course, but my hope is that this year begins a long sustained run of success - consistent NCAA Tourney appearances, always being relevant .. like Xavier and Gonzaga. Avoid major rebuilding seasons. That's far more important than a Cinderella run like Loyola or Mason, etc.  I want Ford to build a program that has staying power.

slufanskip, Brighton and TheOne like this

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

I view this upcoming season with more of a big picture view. As others have pointed out, the NCAA Tourney can be a bit of a crap shoot. A deep tourney run would be great of course, but my hope is that this year begins a long sustained run of success - consistent NCAA Tourney appearances, always being relevant .. like Xavier and Gonzaga. Avoid major rebuilding seasons. That's far more important than a Cinderella run like Loyola or Mason, etc.  I want Ford to build a program that has staying power.

IMG_4183.GIF

Billikid likes this

6 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I suppose if I were a fan of Duke or KU, I'd allow myself to only view the season as a success based on NCAA tournament victories, but for SLU any NCAA appearance has to be the goal and by definition a success. Winning twice in the tournament requires some amount of getting lucky with draws and/or the bounce of a ball in a close game. As great as Loyola's Final 4 run was last year, 3 of their 4 wins were 50/50 coin flips settled in the last minute. Tough to get too disappointed when randomness plays such a large part of NCAA success for all but the top 10 teams. 

Really fan satisfaction is pretty much meaningless except to each individual fan.  However, I think the majority of this Board believes this is the most talented  group of players we have had since Eddie Hickey.  Yes, it will be nice to see SLU go up on the selection board in early March, but I,for one, expect that, so will I be satisfied?  Happy at that time, yes;  satisfied, no.  We did that well with far less talent in the RM days, even in Crews' first year.  We have much better talent, much better, than we did during those years.  Are we Duke, KU or UNC?  No, but I want us to begin making a name for ourselves and that doesn't happen with just getting a bid.  You need to win a few.  TF can't translate, just getting into the tournament into a sales pitch for top talent but a few wins could really help.  Will Gonzaga and Xavier be satisfied with being one and outs?  Nope and that's what I want our standard to be.

Is this just the pre-season ranting of a long-time fan?  Maybe, but I hope not.  I'm looking for a big year to start our reputation building and I'm betting Doc Chaifetz and Coach Ford are too.

2 minutes ago, SShoe said:

The only thing I'd offer is that a long run in the tourney could lead to big-money job offers for Ford.  

I just don't share this fear that others do... right now Ford is regarded by much of the college basketball world as a re-tread. It will take a lot for him to shake that label. And even after a couple of deep tourney runs are added to his resume, Ford may be very selective about jumping at the first P5 offer that comes his way. Not all P5 jobs are created equal and he may not be eager to get back into that grinder, especially if he has a good thing going here.

Other programs wanting your coach is a good problem to have, so hopefully we'll be faced with that at some point. I just think he will have to have a lot of success before he becomes a popular name in coaching searches. Younger coaches who have not been previously fired at P5 programs will be higher on a lot of lists.

brianstl and JMM28 like this

7 minutes ago, ACE said:

I just don't share this fear that others do... right now Ford is regarded by much of the college basketball world as a re-tread. It will take a lot for him to shake that label. And even after a couple of deep tourney runs are added to his resume, Ford may be very selective about jumping at the first P5 offer that comes his way. Not all P5 jobs are created equal and he may not be eager to get back into that grinder, especially if he has a good thing going here.

Other programs wanting your coach is a good problem to have, so hopefully we'll be faced with that at some point. I just think he will have to have a lot of success before he becomes a popular name in coaching searches. Younger coaches who have not been previously fired at P5 programs will be higher on a lot of lists.

I don't necessarily either, but I was offering a possible reason for why a longer run might not be beneficial in regards to long-term stability.  I'm of the mindset that Ford will/should realize he can do plenty of winning here and does not need to go a "major" program. He's also got kids at a good age for staying put.  That said, I think the risk of Ford receiving a very attractive offer goes up substantially if he can take this program on a run that extends into the second weekend.  

54 minutes ago, bauman said:

Really fan satisfaction is pretty much meaningless except to each individual fan.  However, I think the majority of this Board believes this is the most talented  group of players we have had since Eddie Hickey.  Yes, it will be nice to see SLU go up on the selection board in early March, but I,for one, expect that, so will I be satisfied?  Happy at that time, yes;  satisfied, no.  We did that well with far less talent in the RM days, even in Crews' first year.  We have much better talent, much better, than we did during those years.  Are we Duke, KU or UNC?  No, but I want us to begin making a name for ourselves and that doesn't happen with just getting a bid.  You need to win a few.  TF can't translate, just getting into the tournament into a sales pitch for top talent but a few wins could really help.  Will Gonzaga and Xavier be satisfied with being one and outs?  Nope and that's what I want our standard to be.

Is this just the pre-season ranting of a long-time fan?  Maybe, but I hope not.  I'm looking for a big year to start our reputation building and I'm betting Doc Chaifetz and Coach Ford are too.

I think the Conklin senior led team that had Ellis and Jett coming off the bench may take exception to that statement. Let's not go overboard with the talent level on this team. Again, I'd rather have 7-8 excellent players than 12 really good ones. Only time will tell if we really have 7-8 excellent players.

A fan can think whatever he wants, but I'm not going to be unsatisfied with this program if we make the leap from the last dreadful four years to making the NCAA tournament and don't win a game.

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

Agreed. I also get the sense that Ford not only loves coaching at SLU but that he and his family really enjoy living in St. Louis. It appears that Travis genuinely loves engaging with the STL community which is considerably different than the 45,000 people in the middle of Oklahoma. It also seemed like his son really enjoyed DeSmet. I believe they have 2 other kids currently in high school but not sure. Now obviously his kids won't be in high school forever and if the right opportunity ($/school) came along he'd be crazy not to consider it. But in STL, you're "king of the castle" so to speak. SLU is the highest level of basketball in a metro of almost 3 million. He's not far from where he grew up. He doesn't even have to leave his own backyard to recruit handfuls of quality talent year in and year out. I think he really has the chance to build a Gonzaga/Nova/Xavier-type program here and I also think he knows that.  I just don't see Ford jumping to any P5 school for the sake of coaching at a P5 school (again). But I'm usually wrong about everything so...

cgeldmacher and TheOne like this

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Ford could be like McDermott at Creighton. He’s made generational money for his family. He can hang out here and build a really solid program and bank a couple million a year. 

Nothing better than waiting to hear your name called on selection Sunday, and then immediately talking yourself into a S16 run.

*Greg Gumbel voice* 

“And they’ll be taking on the Billikens of Saint Louis University!”

CHILLS

(This is what we’re talking about, right? Think I just blacked out a little bit. NCAAs or bust.)

RiseAndGrind likes this

As far as Ford and his family are concerned, another factor that might be favorable to St. Louis is that this is a large metro area full of activities, events, and things to do. It is not my intention to put  down Stillwater OK but I doubt they can offer as much to those living there. St. Louis is a great place to live, there are any number of high power programs that are located in pretty limited places.

I assume his choices would revolve around $$$ (which doesn't necessarily mean jumping to a P5 if it's a bit more money for a much higher chance of being canned after 2-3 years) and what gives him the best shot at coaching in Lexington, KY someday. 

Can't really think of any other significant motivations. Sure, St. Louis isn't the greatest college basketball town, but he can change that, which seems like more of a reason to stay and cement a legacy than a detriment. And as mentioned, obviously a great place to live and raise a family - especially if keeping connections/family in western KY. 

gobillsgo and Brighton like this

A sweet 16 run would be awesome, and if we are ranked a top 10 team, it would be a reasonable expectation. At this point I think a reasonable expectation is a strong run at the A10 title and an invitation to the big dance. If we finish the regular season strong and in the top 25, we would likely get a favorable seed and a good shot at a first round win.  

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Excellent post.  All that counts is Wins and Losses.  I'll add that I don't care what our Class Recruiting ranking is, I don't care how many *** our players have, and I don't care about AAU Stats.  And today I really don't care about 2019-2020 recruiting.  If we don't ring the dinner bell this season, well, there will be questions asked.  Who would be happy with a 20 -13 season and an NIT invite?  Just win baby.

That's easy to say because we have guys with stars. Had we had 4 recruits coming in averaging 1 1/2 stars we'd all be worried about our lack of recruiting. Recruiting stars matter, I'd be willing to bet 4 star players as a whole end up better college players than 2 star players

almaman and Glorydays2013 like this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

That's easy to say because we have guys with stars. Had we had 4 recruits coming in averaging 1 1/2 stars we'd all be worried about our lack of recruiting. Recruiting stars matter, I'd be willing to bet 4 star players as a whole end up better college players than 2 star players

Shhh don’t speak logically to Hoosier. He doesn’t understand college basketball recruiting 

Ellis and Loe probably shot too much.  McCall was the best 3 point shooter of those teams.  He was streaky and he couldn't keep his legs underneath him for a whole season.  His %s in Nov, Dec & Jan rival any Billiken.  Feb and March not so much.

7 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Shhh don’t speak logically to Hoosier. He doesn’t understand college basketball recruiting 

you should watch 'Last Chance U' on netflix... any season, pick one.... make sure you research the players * ratings after you watch 

1 hour ago, NextYearBill said:

you should watch 'Last Chance U' on netflix... any season, pick one.... make sure you research the players * ratings after you watch 

Wow you’re totoally right! College basketball and football are the same sport! I hear they have the same amount of players on the field too so surely 1 person makes the same contribution in both sports equally. 

There is a reason why in basketball 1 player can be the difference between playoffs and not