2018-19 season

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Okay, if recruiting stars are so important, the team with the most stars should win, right?  Why play the game?  Just meet at center court, count stars and call it a day.

So, maintain status quo as usual.

I'm glad Ford and staff don't think like you do.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Neighbor Dave said:

Thatch as advertised.  Big & strong for a frosh.  

Jacobs is thin.  The size of the rest of the guys really makes him look small (both height and bulk).  But very athletic and showed a nice jumper today.

does jacobs have speed?  It would be nice to have a really quick player. Although maybe Wiley is that way

1 hour ago, Neighbor Dave said:

Had the pleasure of taking in practice this morning.

Coaches were introducing a lot of new stuff, so don't want to draw any premature conclusions re: anything specific.

However... the strength/athleticism/skill-level of the 4 bigs is OFF THE CHARTS.  And they are getting after it.

Coach said (paraphrasing):  There's teams out there with one or two bigs better than our guys, but nobody has four as good as our four.

The talent on the floor in 5 v 5 at practice is light-years ahead of the last few years.  And that was without Isabel, Wiley, or Thor.

You also get the sense that these guys know they've got something cooking.  Gonna be a fun year!

1 hour ago, Neighbor Dave said:

Isabel finishing up work at Drexel, per coach.  He's been in town, hanging with the guys and playing pickup, but can't do official team stuff yet.

Wiley was there but not participating.  Had ice on his leg.

Drills only for Welmer.

Good stuff.

So the available players were Bess, Santos, Foreman, French, Goodwin, Gordon, Thatch, Jacobs, Hankton, and Raboin. Do you recall what the teams were? Did it seem like a first team and second team, or were they more balanced?

I wasn't aware of Wiley's injury. Must not be too serious.

Welmer's recovery has been ridiculous. I really wonder what's left for him.

With those ten going at it, I can only imagine what it'll be like when you add two more seniors in Wiley and Isabell, plus Ingvi. Man.

I really wouldn't be concerned, to those worried about Jacobs looking thin. This is the most physical team Ford has ever had (his words) and the most physical team SLU has ever had. If one freshman looks thin, that's not a problem. The new S&C coach said they're all going to add 10 lbs., except Thatch. DJ has a good frame and he'll be just fine.

2 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Yeah.  Somewhere along the line it became cool to bash papa john's instead of dominos

Not sure if it's cool or not, I just don't find their pizza to be good. At all. Obviously lots of people do though.

Great, now I want pizza....

At the risk of getting in trouble for deviation: Best pizza in St. Louis is_______________

Another question for Good Neighbor Dave, is Thatch ready to be the first backup for Bess at the 3? Since Wiley's like 6'4" I kind of saw him as the logical more experienced guy to back up Javon. Also, does Jacobs have PG skills?

21 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Yeah.  Somewhere along the line it became cool to bash papa john's instead of dominos

Dominos did some advertising around how crappy their pizza was and how they had re-done everything awhile back.  I think after that Dominos moved ahead of Papa Johns in terms of the quality of crappy national delivery chain pizza places.  Papa Johns gets bashed because of they use the slogan "Better ingredients, better pizza" instead of just embracing the crappiness of their product and marketing it as cheap / fast like Little Caesars.

32 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Not sure if it's cool or not, I just don't find their pizza to be good. At all. Obviously lots of people do though.

Great, now I want pizza....

At the risk of getting in trouble for deviation: Best pizza in St. Louis is_______________

There's a special place in my heart for the crumbly sausage pizza at Racanelli's.

41 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Good stuff.

So the available players were Bess, Santos, Foreman, French, Goodwin, Gordon, Thatch, Jacobs, Hankton, and Raboin. Do you recall what the teams were? Did it seem like a first team and second team, or were they more balanced?

I wasn't aware of Wiley's injury. Must not be too serious.

Welmer's recovery has been ridiculous. I really wonder what's left for him.

With those ten going at it, I can only imagine what it'll be like when you add two more seniors in Wiley and Isabell, plus Ingvi. Man.

I really wouldn't be concerned, to those worried about Jacobs looking thin. This is the most physical team Ford has ever had (his words) and the most physical team SLU has ever had. If one freshman looks thin, that's not a problem. The new S&C coach said they're all going to add 10 lbs., except Thatch. DJ has a good frame and he'll be just fine.

Agreed. Not every player needs to look like a body builder, and especially at guard. I'll take a wiry athletic freak like Jacobs gives us something a little different.

bauman likes this

3 hours ago, Neighbor Dave said:

Had the pleasure of taking in practice this morning.

Coaches were introducing a lot of new stuff, so don't want to draw any premature conclusions re: anything specific.

However... the strength/athleticism/skill-level of the 4 bigs is OFF THE CHARTS.  And they are getting after it.

Coach said (paraphrasing):  There's teams out there with one or two bigs better than our guys, but nobody has four as good as our four.

The talent on the floor in 5 v 5 at practice is light-years ahead of the last few years.  And that was without Isabel, Wiley, or Thor.

You also get the sense that these guys know they've got something cooking.  Gonna be a fun year!

3409609.gif

Box and Won likes this