2018-19 season

13 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

CAG didnt come to SLU to ride pine. Starts from day one

I agree with you about CAG starting, but can you think about any previous Billiken team on which 4th and 5th year players like Santos and Foreman would not be starting?   Gordon  and French will be as good, and probably better, than any other A-10 teams' starting 4 and 5 spot players, but no one in this conference, or maybe any other conference, will have the depth we have sitting  on the bench ready to sub in at the 2 big spots.  No one!

Edited by bauman

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

CAG didnt come to SLU to ride pine. Starts from day one

you're probably right, but not starting doesn't mean he'll ride the pine and this is more of a testament to the quality of the other two bigs. 

24 minutes ago, SShoe said:

you're probably right, but not starting doesn't mean he'll ride the pine and this is more of a testament to the quality of the other two bigs. 

I think CAG compliments French  more than any of the other bigs.  CAG frees him up more than foreman and especially santos can.  

My favorite part is french can spend a ton of energy, and replace him with another bully while he takes a breather.   Last year french couldnt do what he wanted all the time because we had to make sure he didnt get tired nor any fouls. 

You gotta feel bad for other teams centers. 

Zink likes this

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

So that puts our "next 5" at:

Wiley

Jacobs

Thatch

Foreman

Santos

With clean up minutes from:

Thor

KC

Welmer

*TOWEL*

Wow, I’ve never seen the “next five”. That is ridiculous. Minus the 3 recent tournament teams, that lineup would probably beat any starting lineup this program has had the last 20 years.

Just now, JMM28 said:

I think some might be getting a tad overzealous on this team. 

Probably so.

The talent is there. The size and toughness are there.

We just have to hope they come together and play well as a unit. We should keep in mind that only four of these guys (Goodwin, French, Foreman, Bess) have played in actual games together, and that they were all new a season ago.

There are going to be a couple bumps in the early going. If they're clicking by mid-season, though, look out.

HoosierPal likes this

A reminder about the newcomers. https://www.a10talk.com/saint-louis-basketball-newcomer-primer/

There are 8 and that is a lot, so chemistry, roles, etc. will be a challenge. Also, even with the late additions, I'm still concerned about the shooting. But our depth, athleticism, rebounding, toughness should be tough to handle. Not sure I've ever been more excited about the start of a season.

bauman likes this

I love how last year everyone fought me when I said JG would start and everyone went after me saying "starting is for HS, hes only a freshmen" etc and now on a stacked roster, everyone is saying Gordon is a for sure starter.

He most likely is but our 6th and 7th men who I think will rotate starting is absolutely DW and Santos. 8 and 9 Foreman and Thatch. 

http://www.barttorvik.com/

T-Rank has us at 52 in the nation and first in the A-10.

The team Jon compared us to, Nevada is ranked 7th in the nation

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Probably so.

The talent is there. The size and toughness are there.

We just have to hope they come together and play well as a unit. We should keep in mind that only four of these guys (Goodwin, French, Foreman, Bess) have played in actual games together, and that they were all new a season ago.

There are going to be a couple bumps in the early going. If they're clicking by mid-season, though, look out.

Even with early season bumps, I am confident in Travis' ability to smooth them out by conference play, based on what he's done the last couple years, with what he was dealt.

35 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I love how last year everyone fought me when I said JG would start and everyone went after me saying "starting is for HS, hes only a freshmen" etc and now on a stacked roster, everyone is saying Gordon is a for sure starter.

He most likely is but our 6th and 7th men who I think will rotate starting is absolutely DW and Santos. 8 and 9 Foreman and Thatch. 

you might want to go back and reread the board.   my memory says most of us were saying goodwin would not only start, he'd be a star.   there were only a few crewsplatt holdovers that didnt want goodwin in the starting lineup.   

question....when will you merge your names together and only post as one person?    no one else is allowed to have multiple monikers.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I'll be interested to see what lineups work best together. I actually think a guy like Wiley may fit in better with Goodwin and Bess even though Isabel is the superior player. Ford will have some very interesting lineups to play with early in the season

I was thinking the same about Wiley and Goodwin.   Tramaine is a really high usage rate player. Jordan was a reasonably high usage rate player last season and I would expect that to go up this season.  They both will probably start, it will be interesting as you said.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

doesnt appear mike is excelling in writing and english classes at duquesne. 

I think it may be unfair to say that, Roy.  There are many highly literate, college-educated Black Americans who code-switch to African American English Vernacular when communicating among other Black Americans.  AAEV is a valid dialect with rules, syntax, grammar, and vocabulary, and Mike Lewis's tweet adhered to them.  But when he goes for a job interview or speaks to the media, or whatever, he'll code switch to wider English.  Frankly, it's little different from your decision to refrain from using capital letters unless you're writing something important.

I be one a those bros who be knowin' how to code switch!

6 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I think it may be unfair to say that, Roy.  There are many highly literate, college-educated Black Americans who code-switch to African American English Vernacular when communicating among other Black Americans.  AAEV is a valid dialect with rules, syntax, grammar, and vocabulary, and Mike Lewis's tweet adhered to them.  But when he goes for a job interview or speaks to the media, or whatever, he'll code switch to wider English.  Frankly, it's little different from your decision to refrain from using capital letters unless you're writing something important.

I be one a those bros who be knowin' how to code switch!

first time anyone has ever given me that defense.  nice touch throwing my no caps at me.   i like it.  

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

You are moving the goal posts, TGloryTDays,  The issue was not whether Goodwin would start, it was whether or not Ford PROMISED, GUARANTEED, he would start at POINT GUARD by simply showing up.  No one questioned his ability.  The issue was what Ford did or did not promise.  You, nor any other poster, ever provided anything that said Ford guaranteed a starting Point Guard job to Goodwin or to anyone else.  Goodwin earned his role last season through hard work at practice and during the games.

Quality Is Job 1 and HenryB like this

4 hours ago, bauman said:

The true test of "new" interest will be once season tickets are opened up to new subscribers.

New subscribers started getting emailed to come in and pick out seats no later than July 2nd.