2018-19 season

The 8 and 2 system used by Kentucky sounds similar to what I assume we will be seeing next season. The real question may be who will be gracing the bench throughout most of the season. It is possible that this is the thought that decided Jalen Johnson to transfer out.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The 8 and 2 system used by Kentucky sounds similar to what I assume we will be seeing next season. The real question may be who will be gracing the bench throughout most of the season. 

Ford was on a radio show last season and said his preferred rotation was, in fact, 8 + 2, as you have wisely pointed out.  He said the 8 all get heavy minutes and then the 2 were to 'hold the fort'.  I won't speculate if he will have use type of rotation this upcoming season nor whom the 8 and the 2 might be.  I might even vary game to game depending on the opponent.  It is a safe assumption that there will be players who are primarily bench warmers.  

Banks likes this

45 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ford was on a radio show last season and said his preferred rotation was, in fact, 8 + 2, as you have wisely pointed out.  He said the 8 all get heavy minutes and then the 2 were to 'hold the fort'.  I won't speculate if he will have use type of rotation this upcoming season nor whom the 8 and the 2 might be.  It is a safe assumption that there will be players who are primarily bench warmers.  

wonder if he plans to play at a faster tempo. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont recall them using two sub teams of 6 players each and 12 players getting near equal minutes

edit i just checked they had 8 players playing 20-30 minutes per game and 2 more that played over 10 minutes a game.

You play 5 guys at a time.. so the notion of 6/12 is a little preposterous. UK would sub 5 off/on in keeping with the "platoon" notion.. of course it wasn't an exact science.. https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article196686859.html

Ice Billiken likes this

CL Brown, who is a writer with The Athletic, held a Q&A with readers today and was asked what the ceiling of the Bills is for next year. Here's what he wrote:

Travis Ford finally seems to have the right roster and finally moved past all the off-court issues that plagued the team last season. I think Carte'Are Gordon could have a monster year as a freshman and the Billikens could challenge for the A10 title.

5 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

CL Brown, who is a writer with The Athletic, held a Q&A with readers today and was asked what the ceiling of the Bills is for next year. Here's what he wrote:

Travis Ford finally seems to have the right roster and finally moved past all the off-court issues that plagued the team last season. I think Carte'Are Gordon could have a monster year as a freshman and the Billikens could challenge for the A10 title.

A bit of an undersell. 

Tell CL to hop on the bandwagon while room is available. 

5 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I hope none of you are paying The Athletic much for insight like that!  Thousands of us Billiken fans could have provided that information (sic)

wgstl and AGB91 like this

1 hour ago, bauman said:

I hope none of you are paying The Athletic much for insight like that!  Thousands of us Billiken fans could have provided that information (sic)

I imagine that’s true for fans of most programs. The value is probably in getting a snapshot of teams with which one is not particularly familiar.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

I just can't justify paying for sports content. I know it's super cheap but with all the free information available why bother?

Does anyone subscribe?

Is it worth it?

5 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I just can't justify paying for sports content. I know it's super cheap but with all the free information available why bother?

Does anyone subscribe?

Is it worth it?

I split a subscription with some friends and yeah, it’s great. Best sports writing on the internet in my opinion.

slufanskip likes this

11 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Does anyone subscribe?

Is it worth it?

I also subscribe and I love it. They have the most insightful and well written stories I’ve found. I love that they don’t just write about the major programs. They have a lot of stories about mid majors too. I’ve never regretted signing up, but I know it’s not for everyone.

While his answer wasn’t the best, you have to realize he was trying to answer as many questions as possible in an hour. 

1 hour ago, Zink said:

I split a subscription with some friends and yeah, it’s great. Best sports writing on the internet in my opinion.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I also subscribe and I love it. They have the most insightful and well written stories I’ve found. I love that they don’t just write about the major programs. They have a lot of stories about mid majors too. I’ve never regretted signing up, but I know it’s not for everyone.

While his answer wasn’t the best, you have to realize he was trying to answer as many questions as possible in an hour. 

Thanks for the info. 

I was just curious. 

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

FWIW I really like my subscription 

add 1 more to the list that like their Athletic subscription. I like the soccer coverage and generally enjoy Mark Saxon's articles on the Cards. Is there anyone with a subscription that is unhappy?