2018-19 season

22 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Wow you’re totoally right! College basketball and football are the same sport! I hear they have the same amount of players on the field too so surely 1 person makes the same contribution in both sports equally. 

There is a reason why in basketball 1 player can be the difference between playoffs and not 

how many 4* players did SLU have on their roster when they were ranked #8 in the nation? 

QUAILMAN and rgbilliken like this

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Still trying to figure out if I'm supposed to be rooting for or against this coach.

i like him... gotta be that way to get through to those kids. he turned his back on Mr. 5* QB.... he earned my respect after that 

also.... do a little digging on that QB.... itll all make sense why he acts like that

On the topic of whether star ratings of recruits "matter," I found this post to be pretty interesting:

https://basketball.realgm.com/article/229173/Star-Ratings-In-Depth

tl;dr: On average, based on statistics, better-ranked recruits end up contributing more to their college teams.

However, I would add that this article is based on averages, and as we all know, an average doesn't say much (if anything) about any particular individual. Further, if you have a coach like Majerus, who had a known ability to pick out diamonds in the proverbial rough, star ratings are going to mean less. It's also obvious that plenty of low-ranked players end up far exceeding their recruiting star rankings. If memory serves me correctly, Ron Baker at Wichita State wasn't ranked at all, and Frank Mason, who ended up POY, wasn't ranked highly coming out of high school. There's also something to be said for 3-4 star recruits who stick around for 4 years compared to one-and-dones.

The true answer is definitely somewhere in between "a team with 4 star recruits will be automatically better than one with 2- and 3- star recruits" and "star rankings don't matter at all." Although some of you who are saying the latter may be trolling GloryRavs because it's fun and easy to do...in which case just ignore this.

25 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

The true answer is definitely somewhere in between "a team with 4 star recruits will be automatically better than one with 2- and 3- star recruits" and "star rankings don't matter at all." Although some of you who are saying the latter may be trolling GloryRavs because it's fun and easy to do...in which case just ignore this.

Absolutely correct. I will always look back fondly at the Washington fans coming to billikens.com, talking about their star ratings, talking about killing SLU, etc. And we all know what happened next. 

WhoppingSoupyEkaltadeta-size_restricted.CloudySphericalAmazontreeboa-size_restri

But overall, you're spot on that ratings do matter to an extent. And that it is easy to troll gloryravs. 

2 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Absolutely correct. I will always look back fondly at the Washington fans coming to billikens.com, talking about their star ratings, talking about killing SLU, etc. And we all know what happened next. 

WhoppingSoupyEkaltadeta-size_restricted.CloudySphericalAmazontreeboa-size_restri

But overall, you're spot on that ratings do matter to an extent. And that it is easy to troll gloryravs. 

To me the best part of that sequence was the look on Conklin's face after he came down and scored the basket.  It just typified the type  of player he was, and the intensity he had.

mhg

8 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Still one of my favorite moments since I've been watching SLU basketball. Also, I miss the old billiken. 

4 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

To me the best part of that sequence was the look on Conklin's face after he came down and scored the basket.  It just typified the type  of player he was, and the intensity he had.

mhg

My seat is right next to the away section, their fans had that look of wanting to go nuts on the refs while knowing it was 110% legal. 

13 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Shhh don’t speak logically to Hoosier. He doesn’t understand college basketball recruiting 

Okay, if recruiting stars are so important, the team with the most stars should win, right?  Why play the game?  Just meet at center court, count stars and call it a day.

16 hours ago, Compton said:

I assume his choices would revolve around $$$ (which doesn't necessarily mean jumping to a P5 if it's a bit more money for a much higher chance of being canned after 2-3 years) and what gives him the best shot at coaching in Lexington, KY someday. 

Can't really think of any other significant motivations. Sure, St. Louis isn't the greatest college basketball town, but he can change that, which seems like more of a reason to stay and cement a legacy than a detriment. And as mentioned, obviously a great place to live and raise a family - especially if keeping connections/family in western KY. 

Exactly. The NFL will never come back here (thank God), so this is a golden opportunity for the Bills to hang with the big boys.

cmart likes this

48 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Okay, if recruiting stars are so important, the team with the most stars should win, right?  Why play the game?  Just meet at center court, count stars and call it a day.

They usually do. Or at least make huge runs. They may get bumped in an upset in the 1st round but most of the time the blue bloods are loaded with top ranked recruits and have great regular seasons.

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Isabell was on a flight this morning. Not sure why though.

ya back to philly.  Wonder if it has something to do with getting his last belongings or needing to complete a last second thing for class credits.  Also Isabell has been staying in clayton the last week or two. Also interesting. 

5 minutes ago, Neighbor Dave said:

Isabel finishing up work at Drexel, per coach.  He's been in town, hanging with the guys and playing pickup, but can't do official team stuff yet.

Makes sense as to why hes in a hotel in clayton.