Welcome Demarius Jacobs!

gobillsgo

43 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Here are his stats for this year. He shot 43% from 3 but only had 23 attempts. Apparently he is an outstanding ft shooter (87%) which this team can desperately use.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gendersport/stats.aspx?careerid=776aa11a-2bca-e711-93f8-ecf4bbe7be14&gendersport=boys,basketball

This is a Majerus type player...an under rated guy who can shoot....a 180 player...ie  a player who's slash line adds up to 180....he has a 51/ 43/ 87= 181.  Majerus used to say he would take these types of players sight unseen. We sure could use some shooters next year.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

You do realize about 90% of the recruits in the 2018 class have already picked a team so there’s not a whole lot to pick from 

For the record I am extremely happy to get a kid like this, especially given the competition and the scarcity of the choices.  

I’m impressed. Ford is just a really damn good recruiter. 

S2 is the reason a good recruiter never stops recruiting. You never know what can happen - transfer, injury, railroading by the school administration, dismemberment. 

I like the Majerus recruit comp because Crews was a complete 180 from that strategy. Didn’t matter if they had basketball skill as long as they looked like a basketball player. 

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

This is a Majerus type player...an under rated guy who can shoot....a 180 player...ie  a player who's slash line adds up to 180....he has a 51/ 43/ 87= 181.  Majerus used to say he would take these types of players sight unseen. We sure could use some shooters next year.

He is not under rated or an under the radar player.  Has Power 5 offers and rated the 306th best player in this class by 247 Sports, just a little behind Thatch.  He is a great get.  And a year out of HS, ready to contribute immediately.  

https://247sports.com/Player/Demarius-Jacobs-46041333

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Ford was getting top 100 players before S2.  Jacobs appears to be a nice player but he isn't a Goodwin/French/Gordon level player.   

That is where s2 will be used against us by top level programs as Ford tries to get the,Liddell like recruit.   The opposing programs are gonna negative recruit the heck out of us.  

And don't feel all smug about Goodwin, Gordon, our existing roster, etc. Either.   Ford will do what he can but I think slu has horribly shot themselves in the foot and I'll be surprised if the 3 departed remains our only casualties.

How many top 100 players are still available at this late date. You have to be realistic. Now let’s wait to see what the future brings for the next two years. My point simply was the doom and gloom some were predict is probably a little sky is falling thinking. 

2 hours ago, bauman said:

If I am reading all the Jacobs material correctly, it seems that he graduated from a Chicago high school in May of 2017 and then went to a prep school in AZ, which he is attending currently so he hopefully has some post-high school education, much like Welmer.  Eventhough nothing actually says this, if he signed a LOI with SIU-C in October 2016 then that would mean that he was going to graduate from HS in May 2017. 

Is this correct or am I missing something?

You can sign a LOI not be qualified. The LOI does not mean you meet the criteria. 

It's pretty amazing seeing the types of athletes Ford is getting compared to years past. The old "Can he dunk" was literally only half joking at times. And now?! Let's get a sniper and a true pg and finish this year off on a bang...or a positive note.

4 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

First, we’re in late February and recruiting for this year’s class. Obviously Ramey’s still out there, but in general, many top players are committed and any player uncommitted becomes a hotter commodity. Not a ton of Goodwin, Gordon, and French caliber players out there.

I agree with you that I’m still concerned about negative recruiting that we’ll face. Whether it comes directly from coaches of other teams, or AAU/high school coaches, I think most African-American players we recruit will hear “You can’t go there...if you look at a white girl, they’ll throw you out of school.” I hope the Jacobs commitment is some evidence of it being less of a factor than I fear.

I'm not talking about recruiting for 18-19 roster.   I'm talking future.   

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

How many top 100 players are still available at this late date. You have to be realistic. Now let’s wait to see what the future brings for the next two years. My point simply was the doom and gloom some were predict is probably a little sky is falling thinking. 

S2 has been a major setback in recruiting. Jacobs is a great get, but it is a major example that we have to put major resources still into the 2018 class.  Last year at this time we were done with the major part of the 2017 class and already had two commits for the 2018 class.  Right now are still in the starting block when it comes to 2019 instead of being ahead of the pack.

So S2 is really hurting our recruiting, instead of being able to put a full court press on Liddell right now the staff has to spend time at Chipola and John A. Logan games. Plus, they have had to go to Webster to make sure their top recruit doesn’t get scared away.

SluSignGuy likes this

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

S2 has been a major setback in recruiting. Jacobs is a great get, but it is a major example that we have to put major resources still into the 2018 class.  Last year at this time we were done with the major part of the 2017 class and already had two commits for the 2018 class.  Right now are still in the starting block when it comes to 2019 instead of being ahead of the pack.

So S2 is really hurting our recruiting, instead of being able to put a full court press on Liddell right now the staff has to spend time at Chipola and John A. Logan games. Plus, they have had to go to Webster to make sure their top recruit doesn’t get scared away.

Not that much different a situation vs when Ford took over a roster full of Crews recruits. 

1 hour ago, crymdg2 said:

It's pretty amazing seeing the types of athletes Ford is getting compared to years past. The old "Can he dunk" was literally only half joking at times. And now?! Let's get a sniper and a true pg and finish this year off on a bang...or a positive note.

You won’t see any Adam Knollmeyer dunking “over” a trash can type videos from Ford recruits.  That’s for sure.

brianstl likes this

9 hours ago, brianstl said:

Well your point taken but I never meant that there would not be any fallout but it would not be catastrophic as some think. I still think we can recover from it. All this harping over the past simply keeps it alive.  Best to look forward. 

Billiken Rich and Schasz like this

10 hours ago, brianstl said:

Although I agree with your overall opinion about S2 hurting recruiting (at least short term), continuing to go to games of our signed recruits is not an indicator of recruiting being damaged. It is very common to continue checking in on your signed recruits, especially those like Carteare.